1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Alpha One Niner - Evade 1.5 Version Announced!

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by RED-FIVE, May 16, 2019.

1. RED-FIVE
    • +3 Supporter
    • In Omnia Paratus

RED-FIVE Loaded Pockets

I just saw this news from Helm at Alpha One Niner!

"ALPHA ONE NINER - EVADE 1.5 BACKPACK will be produced!"

This will be an Evade 1.0 EDC sized backpack with the EV2 style features. Helm posted on his FB page today. These are his comments...

"Gang, keep an eye on this space for the announcement of the very last Evade variant, the 1.5 (name courtesy of Bobby). More info to follow shortly. In short, I've been reading the comments and feedback and there appears to be a number of you who want the same revisions found on the EV2 but in a smaller package like the EV1.

Here' the deal....I have been keeping tabs and was honestly planning a later release. This AM things took a challenging turn and the production shop is gonna get inundated with mil contracts very shortly. Rather than risk not getting the 1.5 out, I had to trigger the release ahead of schedule.

As soon as the sample gets here I will do the photos and get the specs etc but I'm sure most of you already know what to expect. FYI this will be the last of the Evades, it will be time to move on to the next chapter and we have all you guys to thank for a helluva run! - Helm"

This is awesome news! I'm sure Helm will be along in time with all the details and info. Since he's swamped at the moment, we can give him an assist! So, I'll get the discussion moving along until he gets the opportunity to come back in with all the additional intel on this project . ;)

If this New Evade 1.5 pack news catches you by surprise, here's a bit of background...

With the Evade 2.0 pack in the books, it is no secret that many were still wishing for that additional, smaller version of the EV2 pack that was proposed by Helm during the discussion from the EV2 Wish List Thread back in Dec. 2017. His post addressing the details is found here: https://www.edcforums.com/threads/alpha-one-niner-evade-2-0-wish-list.138709/#post-2657547

Yes, that's right! The smaller version of the Evade 2 that was at one time on the drawing board. Unfortunately it didn't make the cut due to tightening production schedules in his primary mil contract work. Though not completely abandoned, the concept of the smaller version was set aside for future consideration.

In the end, only the larger sized Evade 2.0 made it into production. Since the last of the EV2's were shipped, Helm has acknowledged that he hears the calls for a smaller pack. However, he had yet to make an official announcement of when he might pursue a form of the EV1 sized pack with EV2 revisions and enhancements... UNTIL TODAY! ;)

So here we are again! I'm looking forward to this release, and continuing our discussion of the final phase of the Evade's future on the EDCF.

Many thanks to Helm for going all out to make it happen!

Edit: 6/21/19
    In order to keep tabs on spec across the Evade Series, the current and proposed (EV1.5) specs are posted here for reference and comparison.

Evade Series Backpack Dimensions:
    Evade 1.0 - [2015]

• Dimensions 18.5" (H) x 12" (W)(at base, tapers to 10" top) x 6" (D)
    • Volume approximately 25 L
    • Weight: 420D DRB Nylon = 2.8 lbs. | 500D Nylon = 3.6 lbs.
    Evade 2.0 - [2018]
    • Dimensions 19.5" (H) x 13" (W)(at base, tapers to 11" top) x 7" (D)
    • Volume approximately 30 L
    • Weight: 420D Diamond Ripstop Nylon = 4.2 lbs. | 500D Nylon = 4.4 lbs | 1050D Ballistic Nylon = 4.9 lbs.
    Evade 1.5 - With laptop compartment (Preorder open- 7/2019)
    • Dimensions (Proposed & sampled) 19” (H) x 12” (W)(at base, tapers to 10” top) x 6.5” (D)
    • Volume/Liters: Approximately 25L
    • Weight: 500D Nylon = 3.8 lbs. (Preproduction sample, Additional fabrics & weights unconfirmed)
    Evade 1.5 Lite - Without laptop compartment (Preorder open - 7/2019)
    • Dimensions (Proposed) 19" (H) x 12" (W)(at base, tapers to 9" top) x 5" (D)
    • Volume/Liters: Approximately 22L
    • Weight: 500D Nylon = 2.9 lbs.
    Helm was recently asked about his original comments that this would be "the last of the Evades", to which he replied...
    "...for the Evade group of packs. The EV2 was always a limited edition from the get-go and the EV1 will not be produced anymore. The EV1.5 will be last on the Evade group and we’ll keep that available as long as we realistically can. So after the EV1.5 there will no longer be anymore Evade models / versions. Hope this better explains it. - Helm".

Preorders Are Now Open for the Evade 1.5 and Evade 1.5 Lite Backpacks. (7/14/19)
    See Helm's post #87 for more info and preorder link:
    Alpha One Niner - Evade 1.5 and 1.5 Lite Version Preorder!

Last edited by RED-FIVE, Jul 15, 2019
    #1 RED-FIVE, May 16, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2019 at 12:13 AM
  2. gaap master

gaap master Loaded Pockets

Very excited about this. The EV2 was my first A19 bag, so I don’t have any experience with the EV1. I really dig the features of the EV2, but the weight is substantial.

My wish list specs for the EV1.5 would be:
    - same height and width as EV1
    - same main compartment depth as EV2
    - organization features from EV2
    - no laptop compartment (like the UP Lite)

chaosmagnet, Bimmer4me and RED-FIVE like this.
  3. Barrister
    • +1 Supporter

Barrister Loaded Pockets

I liked the idea of the urban pathfinder, will this be instead of or in addition to? Love my evade 2, but a smaller version would fill some other needs for a fast and lite EDC. Great news

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

RED-FIVE likes this.
  4. Bimmer4me

Bimmer4me Loaded Pockets

I might be selling the EV2 BNB since i never use it, only to buy this 1.5 that is what I originally envisioned/wanted. Here's my asks of the 1.5 version:

- Same height and width of the EV1
    - Same main compartment depth (1" more than the EV1) as the EV2
    - All the other features of the EV2 i'm good with, except I would do away with the rear CCW compartment (removes unnecessary weight)
    - The same back padding/design and straps with load lifters would be awesome on the 1.5\
    - Make the pack available in the same bad arse 1050D ballistic nylon

5. Tromba

Tromba Loaded Pockets

This is my dream pack. I will definitely be buying one.

My main change request for the 1.5 would be to ditch the load lifters. Or maybe it could be an option. I would also love to see a solid wall of loop in the back of the main compartment as opposed to the two strips. I don't even care if any of that gets changed though. I am all in.

I think this is a great testament to Helm as a business man/member of this community that he is willing to take our feedback and go through the trouble to put it into a product that is essentially his side gig. Blown away by this.

6. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

I can't imagine buying a third one?!
    I knew exactly what was coming and it is just not as big as I need anyway.
    17" Mac does not safely fit.
    I do love the Ballistic vs. Cordura but unless there are Zippers that seem to be as tough as the Ballistic this is a no start to even consider for me,plus I already threw more money at the 2.0 than I had ever planned to.

Bimmer4me likes this.
  7. calgarycowboy

calgarycowboy Empty Pockets

Looking forward to see the specs. Really loved the look of the 2.0 features but never bit due to the size. I'd love to see the same features, with the ability to fit a 15" laptop.

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk

RED-FIVE likes this.
  8. FLbeachbum

FLbeachbum Loaded Pockets

An EDC size bag with the EV2 features would be awesome. Any hope of getting one in navy to match my EV2? I feel like I need the matching set.

RED-FIVE likes this.
  9. RED-FIVE
    • +3 Supporter
    • In Omnia Paratus

RED-FIVE Loaded Pockets

Helm posted an Evade 1.5 update today (5/20/19) on FB with some clarifying comments on a few points concerning the revisions...

Edit, May 20th - Couples of things:

1. I’m guessing from a few of the replies below that some are not caught up on the previous discussions on the revisions requested from input, feedback, etc that lead to the current size of the EV2 and the shoulder straps, among others. So all I’m doing here is keeping the same design but in the smaller sized packaged as the EV1. Revisions and further development is going to take time so let me be the first to point out (once again) that this pack or the current EV design is not going to meet everyone’s approval.

2. That said, the only revisions on the EV1.5 would be one side compression strap and I’m tweaking the shoulders some.

3. Next, some of you have brought up the subject of an EV1 type pack sans the rear laptop compartment. For those new to A19 and the various programs we’ve worked on, there already was such a variant called the Sentinel and it was marketed and sold under another brand that we were supporting. So am I hearing that you wanna see the Sentinel brought back? ;) *see photos below.

4. Finally, I got the sample, wasn't happy so I sent it back to the sample room and requested another. Those who know me understand that I will not settle for less. As soon as the next sample has passed muster I will get more info up.

Appreciate the patience.

* Sentinel Backpack (retired) - Previously released under the brand Sneaky Bags... "Sentinel (mentioned above) that was essentially an EV1 without the rear laptop compartment."

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That would be interesting to see the Sentinel make a comeback!

I'll do my best (on Helm's behalf) to keep this thread updated for us with any news he shares on social media. He knows that we're here and on stand by, so I'm sure he will check in when his schedule permits. Hang tight!

Also, if you are not up to speed on the past Evade 2.0 development during that time period which took place on the EDC Forum between 11/2017 to 12/2018, you may find it helpful to visit the A19 Evade 2.0 thread for links to those development posts. There is also extensive in-depth discussion and feedback on the proposed EV2 features and revisions.

Check it out: Alpha One Niner - Evade 2.0

Thanks for all the continued feedback and discussion everyone! ;)

RF

Last edited by RED-FIVE, Jun 20, 2019
    #9 RED-FIVE, May 21, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
  10. Jackr

Jackr Loaded Pockets

Yes! Sentinel with beaver tail option please.

Would also be fine with Evade 1.5. Please make in ripstop please.

RED-FIVE and GoBliNuke like this.
  11. gaap master

gaap master Loaded Pockets

The Sentinel is closest to what I’m looking for (no laptop compartment). I also like the cleaner look on the front with no loop panel. Hopefully it makes a comeback. Would be awesome to get one of those in diamond ripstop black.

RED-FIVE likes this.
  12. chaosmagnet
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

chaosmagnet Loaded Pockets

I love my EV2.0. A smaller EV1.5 could be very useful to me...and I think I would prefer it with a laptop compartment. I’m always using one for a laptop, a tablet, or a hydration bladder

RED-FIVE likes this.
  13. Chris C

Chris C Loaded Pockets

I wish the EV1.5 would come with a D ring or something on the top of the laptop compartment to connect the hydration bladder to.

Maybe even cut out going to the CCW compartment since the EV1 had a D ring at the top of it.

Actually while I’m making wishes. Would be nice to have a removable aluminum stay for the back panel to add a bit more rigidity to the pack. Especially for when you really start loading it up. It helped in my TB synapse and Helikon Tex Raider packs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chaosmagnet likes this.
  14. RED-FIVE
    • +3 Supporter
    • In Omnia Paratus

RED-FIVE Loaded Pockets

With all these ideas expressed, there should be much to explore and take into the next chapter... whatever that may hold. ;)

15. Jay PS

Jay PS Loaded Pockets

I've used my 2.0 a few times but still use my Evade 1.0 as my EDC bag. I'm gonna jump right on the 1.5. Nothing has been able to push the Evade out of its EDC spot. Not any of my Kifarus, Mystery Ranches, Go Ruck, Tom Bihns, none of them. Can't wait.

16. Happygodavid

Happygodavid Loaded Pockets

I know you can’t make everyone happy @HELM, but I’ll throw in my two cents. Any way we could have the original EV1 gray/green color as an option for the EV1.5? I love the new gray for my EV2, but I’d love to have that classic “gray” for the 1.5 when I pull the trigger.

And I’ll just reiterate; the EV2 is perfect for a larger EDC or travel pack. I was reminded of this two days ago when I slid it under the seat on a flight, and it fit like a glove, packed to the hilt with laptop, change of clothes, toiletries, etc. etc. It’s a wonderful pack. I can’t wait to get the mini version and just transfer my velcro organizer and pouches over for travel. @HELM, I know you’re ready to move on, but I think you may have the ultimate EDC/travel lineup with those two packs and the sentinel for folks who don’t want a laptop compartment. Heck, with your future iterations, one might possibly observe similarities to the “Steve Jobs” quadrant: 2 EDCs, 2 travel packs, 2 with laptop compartments, 2 without. Organizers to swap between the two. Boom.

FiaOlleDog, MH-05, twin63 and 3 others like this.
  17. twin63

twin63 Loaded Pockets

I may be dreaming, but I seem to remember reading that a supplier issue necessitated the change from the original gray/green to the current gray. I agree though, I would like to see that color come back if it's an option.

chaosmagnet and Happygodavid like this.
  18. RED-FIVE
    • +3 Supporter
    • In Omnia Paratus

RED-FIVE Loaded Pockets

Back in Oct. 2018, I do remember Helm mentioning his reasonings for the change, aside from many thought it was "too green", was to also retain some expediency in his production. Thus, the one grey he ordered (Wolf Grey) has to work across multiple brands he produces. Though, he also hinted at looking into new fabrics and colors for next year (2019?), so we'll see?

This is a series of posts (#41-#43) where Helm mentions the change to Wolf Grey color for the EV2...
    https://www.edcforums.com/threads/update-on-evade-2-0-and-start-of-the-wait-list.139807/page-3#post-2681529

For those interested, the original Evade 1000D grey nylon that Helm phased out is called Steel.
    https://www.edcforums.com/threads/reserve-your-evade-backpacks-here.128247/page-8#post-2362578

Last edited by RED-FIVE, May 26, 2019
    #18 RED-FIVE, May 26, 2019
    Last edited: May 26, 2019
    chaosmagnet, Happygodavid and twin63 like this.
  19. twin63

twin63 Loaded Pockets

Thanks Red-Five! I knew I had read something about the switch. So, there may be a chance;).

RED-FIVE likes this.
  20. MH-05

MH-05 Loaded Pockets

I'd be very interested to know if the material for 1.5 is the same as 1.0 or 2.0.
    I just love the 500D on the 1.0. Feels so solid, rigid and not adding too much weight...just wish my 2.0 would have the same mat'l.