1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Alpha One Niner - Evade 1.5 and 1.5 "Lite" Released!

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by RED-FIVE, May 16, 2019.

1. race2c

race2c Loaded Pockets

Thanks, @RED-FIVE for posting/updating the specs. Let me know if you need the weight differences...because I just ordered a EV1.5 to match its bigger brother in 1050D black.

The past few days have been busier than expected due to a work/facility audit. One more day left...yet wanted to hurry up and get my order in, so I didnt miss the chance to get a EV1.5.

Thanks again, @HELM for offering these up!

chaosmagnet, Myrddraal and RED-FIVE like this.
  2. RED-FIVE
    • +4 Supporter
    • In Omnia Paratus

RED-FIVE Loaded Pockets

Interesting how it comes out the same huh. We'll see where it ends up. I like to always have some 420D Diamond Ripstop along with the heavier fabrics with my Evades. In fact I really like the MR Daily Robic 420D too, great hand feel, and finish... also very tough.

For the record, after the velcro mods to my Evade, could not descern .5 lbs. when loaded up with normal office edc, laptop water etc. maybe some of you guys can. But I think my body can feel it at the end of the day! Maybe!

Bimmer4me likes this.
  3. Bimmer4me

Bimmer4me Loaded Pockets

With so many edc bags @RED-FIVE , how often are you switching bags on a daily, weekly basis? Hehe, sounds like we have similar taste in bags. Btw, the MR Daily is such an underrated bag and an unsung hero sadly (who doesn’t love chunky #10 ykk zippers, well padded laptop section and shoulder straps, organization, hideaway waist strap, solid grab handle)....I just wish it came in 500d cordura or a slightly stiffer material for when it’s not fully loaded up.

chaosmagnet likes this.
  4. RED-FIVE
    • +4 Supporter
    • In Omnia Paratus

RED-FIVE Loaded Pockets

Sure thing race!! Have a restful weekend!;)
    Yeah I'm enjoying a curated rotation that involves pairing the bag/pack to the activity. And I think we all know how it is man! I wouldn't be here if I didn't enjoy gear. Every time I think,"I'm good... I'm done!" Someone announces something. Or I've held off from picking up something from a maker, then I do. That was the case with getting into MR. Good stuff! Hey, speaking of the Daily, I'm trying to figure a way to get an additional frame sheet in there for support. I'll report back if it works out. ;)

I know a lot of us may be nervous about the weight of the EV1.5 in 1050D, that's totally understandable. I'm very glad to see Helm offer the EV1.5 Lite (Sentinel reborn). I think that's going to reduce weight significantly. I've come to appreciate the filament fabrics or non-texturized nylon's such as 1050D BNB and 420D because of the smooth finish. 1050D Ballistic nylon will always come with a weight penalty to some extent. Still, I'm drawn to its durability, sturdiness and aesthetics. I like the heavy stuff, but tend to keep some lighter options near when necessity dictates a change.

Last edited by RED-FIVE, Jul 18, 2019
    #144 RED-FIVE, Jul 18, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
    Bimmer4me and Norseman like this.
  5. RED-FIVE
    • +4 Supporter
    • In Omnia Paratus

RED-FIVE Loaded Pockets

Evade 1.5 & 1.5 Lite (5) color samples...

"Guys, here’s a quick shot of some of the new fabric choices.
    From top, Diamond Ripstop Wolf Gray, 500D Wolf Gray, Diamond Ripstop Med Navy, Ranger Green and OD (Olive Drab).
    In the next few weeks as we complete some color samples, I will have more photos uploaded.
    Thanks. - Helm"

Last edited by RED-FIVE, Oct 28, 2019
    #145 RED-FIVE, Jul 18, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2019
  6. Chris C

Chris C Loaded Pockets

Maybe too late in the build process but just wanted to throw it out there. Would be nice to have a little bit of organization options for the top compartment. I usually use it as a dump pocket or quick access EDC pocket. Something simple like this and lays flat out of the way when not being used;
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#146 Chris C, Jul 21, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
  7. chaosmagnet
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

chaosmagnet Loaded Pockets

The top pocket is one of my favorite features as it is, but I could see the utility of a small Velcro organizer option.

RED-FIVE likes this.
  8. Happygodavid

Happygodavid Loaded Pockets

Agreed. I use it for my sunglasses regularly, so I’d keep that as is. It would be nice to add either a second top pocket with a zipper or to have a fleece liner on one half, non-fleece on the other of the current pocket. I.e.- quick, convenient spot for emptying my pockets when going through airport security (or other scenarios where I’ve loaded all the main pockets to the max and don’t want to have to dig later for the few small things I’ve quickly tossed in there and have become buried).

RED-FIVE likes this.
  9. Chris C

Chris C Loaded Pockets

Exactly why I would like to have additional pockets in the top pocket. Just to add a little more organization for quick access EDC items like a charging cable, pack of mints/gum, AirPods and still be able to fit bigger items like sunglasses but be able to fold away and be out of the way when pockets are not in use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RED-FIVE and Happygodavid like this.
  10. Sheepdog3406

Sheepdog3406 Empty Pockets

Ok so I was able to hold out on this until today. I’m having some issues on the A19 website with preorder. Is there a 1.5 choice or do I go through evade or ev2? Any tips? Also is ranger green an option now?? Helm I’m running out of excuses to tell my wife. I believe we will need to start a new thread for how we explain these purchases.

RED-FIVE likes this.
  11. RED-FIVE
    • +4 Supporter
    • In Omnia Paratus

RED-FIVE Loaded Pockets

Hi Sheepdog3406, were you able to figure it out?

Helm provided the Pre-Order link back in post #87:
    Helm's Official Evade 1.5 Pre-Order Launch Announcement and Link

It's a fairly simple process... Once you create an account with the Alpha One Niner Shopify website, you'll be able to login and preorder/order items.

You'll notice there are two separate and distinct product preorder pages for the Evade 1.5 and Evade 1.5 "Lite"...
    Evade 1.5 Pre-Order page...
    https://www.alphaoneniner.com/products/alpha-one-niner-evade-1-5?_pos=1&_sid=05f1712de&_ss=r

Evade 1.5 "Lite" Pre-Order page...
    https://www.alphaoneniner.com/products/copy-of-alpha-one-niner-evade-1-5-pre-lite?_pos=2&_sid=05f1712de&_ss=r

Once you visit the first Evade 1.5 Pre-Order link, you will also find a link to the Evade 1.5 Lite Pre-Order page, It's all plainly laid out once you get in and have a look around, it should make sense. If you have any further questions or issues concerning your Pre-Order, Helm has setup an email contact for this purpose: pre-order@alphaoneniner.com

Important note:
    Be sure to read all the Pre-Order instructions on the Evade 1.5 Pre Order page FIRST!! This is where Helm covers all the details, payment and release schedule.
    It most definitely is an option now! The 500D Nylon, Ranger Green is selectable as an option on both Evade 1.5 and "Lite" Pre-Order pages.

Hope this helps!

chaosmagnet and Happygodavid like this.
  12. Jackr

Jackr Loaded Pockets

Regarding the dimensions of the main pocket of the pack. I see this listed on the project page:
    • Dimensions 19" (H) x 12" (W)(at base, tapers to 9" top)
    • Depth (measured from front to back at the base) of EV1.5 is 6.75" and the EV1.5 Lite is 5".

My question is this. Are the main compartments the same depth? I'm wondering if the increased depth and extra 2-3 liters on the non-lite version is the laptop compartment.

Happygodavid and RED-FIVE like this.
  13. Sheepdog3406

Sheepdog3406 Empty Pockets

RED-FIVE likes this.
  14. RED-FIVE
    • +4 Supporter
    • In Omnia Paratus

RED-FIVE Loaded Pockets

Hey @Jackr!
    (Edited):
    I do believe this to be the case, that the main compartments will be the same depth. Since production is imminent, the specs should be locked down by now, unless Helm confirms any last minute changes. As an addition, I don't believe Helm has ever mentioned that the Evade 1.5 Lite version removes the laptop compartment and extends the main compartment.

As I understand the EV1.5 Lite version will offer the same features as the EV1.5 with the exclusion of the laptop compartment. I believe this is consistent with the currently listed external dimensions and are confirmed based on the Pre-production samples. Of course Helm could confirm internal dimensions at his discretion. Internal and external dimensions will differ.

When looking at the external specs, I think the reduction in depth from EV1.5 = 6.75" to EV1.5 Lite = 5" does represent, to a greater extent, the removal of the laptop compartment. The inverse would also be correct, as your question would suggest, that the EV1.5 (non-Lite) version's extra 1.75" of depth is due to the laptop compartment.

Just how many inches does the laptop compartment represent? My guess would be at least 1.5 inches. That's based the fact that the external depth of the laptop compartments on the EV1 and EV2 are similar at aprox 1.5 inches. There's always some internal layers like nylon, padding etc, to be accounted for.

So, the EV1.5 Lite should live up to its name being the lighter and more shallow of the two.

On another note, Helm recently confirmed the Sentinel and 1.5 Lite main compartments are the same depth...
    " I assume that you are aware that the Sentinel took it’s design perspective from the original Evade? With that in mind the Sentinel needs an update so rather than consider a second version, best to role in the Evade as a Lite. In essence the Sentinel has gone back home to roost! So yes the Lite is an updated Sentinel, same depth for the main compartment, a wee bit taller, will now have the back harness system of the Evade 2.0 (revised some that is), and it will also come with the Type 1 organizer. Helm."

Last edited by RED-FIVE, Aug 1, 2019
    #154 RED-FIVE, Jul 31, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2019
  15. RED-FIVE
    • +4 Supporter
    • In Omnia Paratus

RED-FIVE Loaded Pockets

Roger that! ;)

16. HELM
    • Sponsor - Manufacturer

HELM Loaded Pockets

Just recovered (well almost) from an awful week being under the weather to tweak the harness further.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. HELM
    • Sponsor - Manufacturer

HELM Loaded Pockets

I’m trying to keep things as simple as possible on the production side so yes, the two packs will be identical except that the Lite will not have the laptop compartment, which contributes to the few L difference.

RED-FIVE, chaosmagnet and Paul O like this.
  18. HELM
    • Sponsor - Manufacturer

HELM Loaded Pockets

LOL man you sound like me trying to justify to the Minister of Home Affairs aka wife, why I need yet another pair of chukka boots!

RED-FIVE and chaosmagnet like this.
  19. Happygodavid

Happygodavid Loaded Pockets

@HELM, will you be posting pics of the 1.5 Lite before preorders end? Debating which model to get, as I have a 15-inch MacBook Pro but don’t always need a laptop compartment. Also, don’t wanna miss the preorder window. Thanks for all the updates, and feel better!

RED-FIVE likes this.
  20. HELM
    • Sponsor - Manufacturer

HELM Loaded Pockets

I will. Right now I just got the one part that has been bugging me, the harness, sorted out. Next we get some samples done and new photos will follow.

RED-FIVE and Happygodavid like this.