1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Alpha One Niner - Evade 1.5 and 1.5 "Lite" Released!

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by RED-FIVE, May 16, 2019.

1. HELM
    • Sponsor - Manufacturer

HELM Loaded Pockets

Hey man. I’m not sure where you heard that but I think you’re mistaking the 1050D ballistic nylon for the 1000D nylon. The former has a smoother surface and it is a heavier and stiffer fabric. The 500D will hold its own, it’s a very durable fabric as long as you don’t plan to drag them across gravel!

Another thing to keep in mind is pet hair. I’m working at the factory this weekend and our crazy Dalmatian likes to rub against the bags he finds sitting on the floor! At the end of the day the 500D and 1000D will have his short hair everywhere but not the 1050D nor the 420D Diamond ripstop.

twin63, RED-FIVE and Myrddraal like this.
  2. Chris C

Chris C Loaded Pockets

Besides the changes to the back wall and overall size difference are their any other differences between the EV2 and EV1.5?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chaosmagnet and RED-FIVE like this.
  3. Tromba

Tromba Loaded Pockets

As always you are a wizard.

I was actually able to canabalize these clips off a 5.11 3 tier strap set. This is so much cleaner and way more functional. Thank you sir.

twin63 and RED-FIVE like this.
  4. HELM
    • Sponsor - Manufacturer

HELM Loaded Pockets

Hey Chris, good hearing from you.

- I’ve made some tweaks to the shoulder straps, working to make it more comfortable.

- improving the load lifters excess webbing; had some feedback on this and also saw the discussion about this.

Still working on a few more small tweaks here and there today before the pre-order tomm.

5. RED-FIVE
    • In Omnia Paratus

RED-FIVE Loaded Pockets

Challenge and possible solution: Retain the beavertail to prevent it from completely falling open or become slack when the top SRB's are released?

Hey @HELM ... This idea was inspired by this thread about the 5.11 All Hazard Nitro Backpkack with beavertail. For reference, here's the link:
    https://www.edcforums.com/threads/5-11-nitro-question-about-the-beaver-tail.140359/#post-2693014

Retaining the Evade beavertail...
    This is something else I've been working out the last few months after the EV2 released. I had another idea for the beavertail top attachment straps to see if it be possible to have the BT retained by using a form of hardware to hold onto the straps?

In this example I again used the UTX- Duraflex "Slotted Loop" in two configurations and routed the BT top straps through the Slotted Loop as it is mounted on the Evade's top shock cord - web loops. The SLoop allow the straps to catch the released SRB ends which helps to retain the BT to some extent depending how the BT velcro keepers are wrapped.

I have this set up on my EV2, and it has shown real promise to retain the beavertail close to the pack when empty and the top straps unclipped, as well as the BT loaded. Pictures below demonstrate the two orientations of the the Slotted Loop.

#1 - Enclosed Method:
    the BT straps are enclosed in the SLoop.
    #2 - Open Method: the SLoop is mounted with the split opening facing outward which allows for taking the BT straps in and out of retention quickly.

Since the Slotted Loop is 1" (25mm) and the Evade shock cord loops are 3/4" (20mm) webbing, the Loop is easier to remove and yet still holds quite well. In my testing I have found the #2 - Open Method has an advantage that the BT strap can be quickly routed through the Loop and also removed very quickly. #1 - Enclosed Method requires you to take the SLoop off one side to insert or remove the BT straps, it does give a different appearance though.

If you notice in the pics, I have used a few different routing techniques with the straps for the two methods. There's quite a few ways you can route them depending on your preference.

One other point of consideration... I didn't have access to a spare 3/4" Slotted Loop. It may be a possibility the WJ 3/4" Slotted Loops used for the EV2 compression straps would be viable. However, removability of the 3/4" would be the issue. I'm still looking to further test it with a WJ 3/4" Slotted Loop (will try to it source from an extra EV2 strap if possible ;)). Because the 1" Duraflex Slotted Loops have some play when mounted on the Shock Cord 3/4" web loops, it does help in removal. Mostly, it has provided an opportunity to try this idea.

I figured since there's still some tweaking going on this may be worth sharing... even if anyone wants to try this setup on their existing EV2 or EV1.5 in the future. Thanks! ;)

Last edited by RED-FIVE, Dec 24, 2019
    #85 RED-FIVE, Jul 13, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2021
    Myrddraal and chaosmagnet like this.
  6. RED-FIVE
    • In Omnia Paratus

RED-FIVE Loaded Pockets

Good morning EDCF! Seems like a good day for the Evade 1.5 Preorder!! The word for today is: OPTIONS!

Thank you @HELM for all the generous options and new feature additions on the EV1.5!
    Much appreciated!
    :smile_coffee:

Last edited by RED-FIVE, Jul 14, 2019
    #86 RED-FIVE, Jul 14, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2019
    Happygodavid likes this.
  7. HELM
    • Sponsor - Manufacturer

HELM Loaded Pockets

Pre-order is up at https://www.alphaoneniner.com/products/alpha-one-niner-evade-1-5

No codes required, I will manually put in a 15% discount for the pre-order.

The launch offers the option of a second pack, the Evade 1.5 Lite; please read the info provided on the main product page but please feel free to ping me here or on the FB if you have any questions.

Thanks all!

Last edited by HELM, Jul 14, 2019
    #87 HELM, Jul 14, 2019
    RED-FIVE likes this.
  8. capt._dan

capt._dan Empty Pockets

I have the original Evade and I cannot remember if I have the 500 or the 1050. Was the original even available in the 1050? I would like to make sure I order the same as before. It is a great bag. Thank you for putting the effort in to create these for us.

9. HELM
    • Sponsor - Manufacturer

HELM Loaded Pockets

Dan, there were no 1050D for the original Evade. That was only added to the Evade 2.0 - the pleasure's always mine. Thanks!

10. Tromba

Tromba Loaded Pockets

Pre-ordered. Being that it looks exactly the same just smaller I am hoping the wife won’t figure out what I’ve done.

Last edited by Tromba, Jul 14, 2019
    #90 Tromba, Jul 14, 2019
    RED-FIVE, chaosmagnet and Chris C like this.
  11. Chris C

Chris C Loaded Pockets

I may of missed it but do the type 1 & 2 organizers from the EV2 work with the 1.5? Also you mentioned in an earlier post that the strap management for the load lifters may of changed?

HELM, thank you again for working with the forums and making another awesome bag! And a special thanks for the two tone rip stop option.

RED-FIVE likes this.
  12. READYSETGO
    • In Omnia Paratus

READYSETGO Loaded Pockets

Ordered!

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

RED-FIVE and HELM like this.
  13. calgarycowboy

calgarycowboy Empty Pockets

Thanks Helm. Placed my order for the 1050d!

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk

RED-FIVE and HELM like this.
  14. Chris C

Chris C Loaded Pockets

Will there be any chance of a 2.0 version of the hip belts with some molle to add pouches to it? Also, I know it wasn’t mentioned but were there any changes to add more rigidity to back panel to help handle heavier load outs?

I know you’ve added so many of my requests to the different EVs but would you be able to add one more of the D rings or a loop may be better to the top of the laptop compartment just above where the laptop goes? The padded laptop compartment is perfect to add a little insulation for a water bladder when using the EV for outdoor uses. I know of the concern of the water bladder leaking but the user can choose to take that risk or not.

Last request (for now haha) could you add one of those elastic organizers that you use for the main straps and load lifters onto the sternum strap as well?

Thank you again HELM!

#94 Chris C, Jul 14, 2019
    RED-FIVE and BTG108 like this.
  15. HELM
    • Sponsor - Manufacturer

HELM Loaded Pockets

LOL, oh man, classic! Reminds me of the time I moved out of NYC into VA. Hit the shooting range for first time in eons and the rangemaster was telling someone new that he needed to get one pistol that is all blued, one all steel and a third two-tone. This way whenever he buys anymore and the wife sees it, she wouldn’t be able to tell the difference!

RED-FIVE and BTG108 like this.
  16. HELM
    • Sponsor - Manufacturer

HELM Loaded Pockets

And I put in those lockable slider pulls just for you bud!

Yes, the current organizers all will fit in the EV1.5

And yes I had to ‘clean’ the straps from the load lifters some.

RED-FIVE, chaosmagnet and Chris C like this.
  17. HELM
    • Sponsor - Manufacturer

HELM Loaded Pockets

Chris, how much weight are you carrying in your pack? I’ve hauled 30 lbs but that’s about it. You must be carrying some serious weight to need a stay. The frame sheet is not removable in the Evade so making it stiffer is the only way. Still you need some flex cos leaving a straight stay inside that can’t be shaped might end up being uncomfortable. My experience with stays is that it really helps if you have access to it so as to shape it when needed.

Ref the bladder, let me see what I can do.

18. Chris C

Chris C Loaded Pockets

I guess the more rigidity was to help not just for heavy loads but also more when carrying medium loads for prolonged times. May just be me but seems to make the pack carry better.

I’ve used the EV1 as a tech tool bag before. So the weight got up there. I know not it’s intended purpose of the bag but just really showed the quality construction of the bag.

Maybe I just need to work out more lol.

#98 Chris C, Jul 14, 2019
  19. Bimmer4me

Bimmer4me Loaded Pockets

@HELM, I placed a pre order for a 500D Black and the 1050D BNB because i don’t know the weight of the BNB yet, if it’s too heavy again it may be a deal breaker as I rarely carry my EV2.0 BNB due to weight. Just a heads up I’ll probably be requesting to edit my order at some point. Excited yet again, thank you!!

QQ, when you say making the straps more comfy, will you be adding more padding?? The straps on the BNB EV2 are very stiff and not very comfy over a long period of time. (I’m a harsh critic because my golden standard are Mystery Ranch straps)

chaosmagnet likes this.
  20. RED-FIVE
    • In Omnia Paratus

RED-FIVE Loaded Pockets

YAaaa, I can only imagine what his inbox is going to look like when he wakes up tonight... :sleep: :eek: !!!

And that's just my messages!
    :uhhuh:

Well, since the modular panel was utimately passed on this time. Still, I'm glad we are getting the PALS/velcro wall option. Glad to see the interior is fully 210 ripstop lined (excellent nylon fabric). Colors, colors, and more colors! Locking zips yo! And a Lite option is very nice indeed.

It's always cool to see a lot of the feedback make it on through into production. And hey, they're still working out some of the refinements in the coming months. Looking forward to some more pics, specs and video. Everything else for the most part looks solid and should send the Evade Series off with a bang!

#100 RED-FIVE, Jul 14, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
    twin63 and chaosmagnet like this.