1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Alpha One Niner - Evade 1.5 and 1.5 "Lite" Released!

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by RED-FIVE, May 16, 2019.

1. RED-FIVE
    • In Omnia Paratus

RED-FIVE Loaded Pockets

My understanding is that Helm's still working out these details on colors and fabrics along with finalizing the other details like main back wall configuration. When he gives the official announcement for the Evade 1.5 Wait List/Preorder, I would expect him to have all the specs, details and fabric weights all in order for us at that time as he has stated…

“...haven’t gotten that far yet. Would need to a sample all each fabric and weigh them all. Rest assured all the specs will be laid out like the last time and you guys can decide from there… - Helm” ;)

Also, in his last mentions of colors to be offered for the Evade1.5, he did hint at "changing it up" from the colors he offered with the Evade2.0. The new colorway he recently spoke of was "Med Navy Ripstop" which looks very nice.

Just a side note:
    Keep in mind that pic (posted above) is the A19 Sentinel pack sampled in Med Navy Ripstop. Looking closely, you'll notice it has no laptop compartment, Locking #10 main zipper with super sized WJ zipper pulls, and detachable shoulder straps as featured in the Evade 1.0. The shoulder straps appears to be the version 2 - upgraded straps released back in fall of 2017, indicated by the "web binding tape" outlining the strap pad. I mentioned this and posted the pics in my post above. If anyone missed it, here's the link to that post #41:

Helm mentions a new possible color option for Evade 1.5 - Med Navy Ripstop

Last edited by RED-FIVE, Jun 17, 2019
    #61 RED-FIVE, Jun 17, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
    MH-05 and chaosmagnet like this.
  2. RED-FIVE
    • In Omnia Paratus

RED-FIVE Loaded Pockets

Ref back wall... again!

I was thinking again (uh-oh :smile_coffee:) of additional back wall configs. Along with the four I previously discussed, there's another PALS pattern design that may be considered: 6x3 PALS/Velcro pattern on the top half of the main compartment (standard Matroskya D-Rings still included of course - not shown).

A pic shared by @HELM last year of Paladin's Raider pack that currently features this top half - PALS config. This main back wall pattern has also appeared in other popular packs many of us may be well acquainted with like Go Ruck's GR Series packs. This top half design has marked advantages providing decent mounting options for pouches, is inherently lighter than a full wall of PALS/Velcro, and reduces production/manufacturing costs.

Last edited by RED-FIVE, Nov 11, 2019
    #62 RED-FIVE, Jun 17, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
    Chris C, MH-05 and FiaOlleDog like this.
  3. Tromba

Tromba Loaded Pockets

I like that.

Barrister and RED-FIVE like this.
  4. Chris C

Chris C Loaded Pockets

@RED-FIVE I think that would be a great compromise. I would like to see that velcro/molle panel extended to the very top of the back wall and all the way down to the beginning of where the bottom pocket begins.

Also, it would be nice to have additional support added to help make the pack more rigid especially when utilizing the panel and if loading up the pack with heavier loads for the day or longer.

Something like this maybe?
    [​IMG]

If that bottom pocket was also added that would be awesome as well to add more organizational options. On my GR0 I like having that pocket as when not it use it stays nicely out of the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#64 Chris C, Jun 18, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
    chaosmagnet and RED-FIVE like this.
  5. RED-FIVE
    • In Omnia Paratus

RED-FIVE Loaded Pockets

Hey Chris,
    I believe since @HELM reworked the dimensions of the Evade 1.5, it should have the sufficient height @19" to add the extra rows top and bottom as you suggest. I'm thinking because the way the Evade begins to taper at the top, the first row of PALS/Velcro may need to reduce down to 4 columns to keep it as high as possible?

This would be exactly like the top shape of the Evade 2.0 PALS Panel pattern is designed. Its very first row of PALS has 4 columns instead of 6 to match the more narrow taper of the top main compartment. Then it continues with 6 columns the rest of the rows. That would be nice use of space to fill the top half. ;)

Of course the EV2 PALS/Velcro rows doesn't continue as far up to the top as there's space on the main back wall, but that was a different application.

I like that idea of the back wall sleeve pocket as well! An aluminum stay is surely viable for support I agree. Not sure, but it may not jive with the Laptop/CCW compartment's current design. I be interested to hear Helm's take on it. May entail a significant redesign, but I hear ya in regards to effectively providing internal support. ;)

It will be good to hear from @HELM about his thoughts on all this feedback when he has the chance. Hopefully soon!

Ps- Is that your HT Raider in Adaptive green?

#65 RED-FIVE, Jun 18, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
  6. Chris C

Chris C Loaded Pockets

No, it’s a pic I found online haha. I have the pack in the shadow gray. I just didn’t have it with me at the time of the post.

7. RED-FIVE
    • In Omnia Paratus

RED-FIVE Loaded Pockets

Ha! Gotchya ;)

8. race2c

race2c Loaded Pockets

EV1.5....hmmm definitely thinking about getting one to back up my EV2. Gotta do some reading on @RED-FIVE 's posts.

9. Bimmer4me

Bimmer4me Loaded Pockets

This wait is killing me!!

Chris C and chaosmagnet like this.
  10. sparktofire

sparktofire Loaded Pockets

Definitely going to buy one of these. For me the CCW pocket and velcro lined wall in the main compartment is a must have. I really wish the load lifter straps would disappear though.

chaosmagnet likes this.
  11. RED-FIVE
    • In Omnia Paratus

RED-FIVE Loaded Pockets

Sometimes it does seem like the calm before the storm...

When the comms from Helm drop off, it usually means, in the best cases... taking care of business. Among a multitude of things, Helm has been working out the finer details of setting up the Evade 1.5 direct preorder through his site. As always, he's been doing double duty with his mil/contract production which is in full swing.

As the production schedule moves along, he will be in the position to (more accurately) project a time slot which would clear the way for a limited run of the Evade 1.5... barring any unforeseen circumstances of course. Still hoping for the best!

Last edited by RED-FIVE, Jul 10, 2019
    #71 RED-FIVE, Jul 10, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
    Bimmer4me and chaosmagnet like this.
  12. Chris C

Chris C Loaded Pockets

Having the load lifters is nice to have, just would like a cleaner way to manage the excess straps if possible.

RED-FIVE likes this.
  13. RED-FIVE
    • In Omnia Paratus

RED-FIVE Loaded Pockets

I've been experimenting with anchoring the load lifter straps down lower on the vertical webbing, just above the sternum strap sliders.

[​IMG]

There's a few simple methods to achieve this: a velcro keeper, elastic loop band, or the UTX/Duraflex-Slotted Loop (described in their catalog as a "loose end" web retainer) sourced from the 5.11 Tier Strap System.

For now, I've settled on the Slotted Loops, attached below the top bar-tack stitch where the sternum strap slider adjusts. The looped end of the load lifter straps are just narrow enough to allow them to slip through the loop with ease and hold the web ends in place. You can even pull down to micro adjust the load lifters when the web ends are passed through the slotted loops. If the load lifters need to be loosened, the web ends can be slipped out of the loops with no problems...
    [​IMG]

This also works with the velcro keeper, but I found that it can occasionally get moved out of place which causes the strap not to lay flat. It was a bit more work to keep the web straps laying down flat because of this. Finding the perfect adjustment on the velcro keeper was key, not too loose or tight.

Now, if you'd just like to lock down the load lifter strap ends with no need for further adjustment, then the velcro keeper is perfect for this use, provided you install it below the bar-tack in the location above the sternum slider. If the velcro keeper is made tight, the straps, once adjusted to your preference, are quite secure and you could just leave the load lifters snug. Overall the keepers work very well setup like this. Set it and forget it...
    [​IMG]

One notable aspect about the slotted loop is that it's smooth plastic which helps if it gets pulled up inadvertently... it is looser fitting and smooth enough that it will just slide back down. For the most part, the webbing stays flat against the shoulder straps... this worked surprisingly well.

In the end, I wanted to find a temporary solution... something that was quick to setup and that could be removed. So, I've held off on using the elastic loop because it would need to be sown onto the vertical webbing of the shoulder strap (which is entirely possible). I do believe the elastic loop could also prove an effective method if mounted lower on the shoulder strap to hold the load lifter straps down. Since it's a more permanent solution, I plan to test the other methods for a while before going that route.

If you're looking to get the loose web ends under control, give this a try! The velcro keeper is a viable method for tighly securing the load lifter web ends, and the slotted loop works as well, living up to its description as a "loose end" web retainer.

If you guys have any other methods to tame the load lifter straps please feel free to share your setups! Thanks!!
    ;)

Last edited by RED-FIVE, Jan 30, 2020
    #73 RED-FIVE, Jul 12, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2020
  14. HELM
    • Sponsor - Manufacturer

HELM Loaded Pockets

Sorry guys, I’ve finally gotten a breather on the flip side of the world.

Pre-order for the Evade 1.5 starts Sunday at 0900H EST!

Watch this space for the link. The order page will provide all specs including the choice of fabrics.......essentially whatever it is we have in-house.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

FLbeachbum, MH-05, twin63 and 6 others like this.
  15. RED-FIVE
    • In Omnia Paratus

RED-FIVE Loaded Pockets

That's great Helm and thanks for the heads up!
    Glad to have you back with us!!
    :smile_coffee:

@HELM Just curious, what did you decide on the back wall config?

#75 RED-FIVE, Jul 12, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
  16. chaosmagnet
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

chaosmagnet Loaded Pockets

Excellent news!

RED-FIVE likes this.
  17. HELM
    • Sponsor - Manufacturer

HELM Loaded Pockets

Right now my technician is working on a panel that hangs from the top d-rings and you can clip these on the sides like the one in the EV2. This way no loops are needed on the back wall.

Apart from that panel, the other accessories like the organizers, the beavertail and the Matros are all interchangeable.

MH-05, chaosmagnet and RED-FIVE like this.
  18. RED-FIVE
    • In Omnia Paratus

RED-FIVE Loaded Pockets

So this is a modular panel design with a plain back wall as we have been discussing... which can also interface with the main back wall - side web attachment loops? This is an outstanding development!

As always, Helm, thank you, sir, for all of your consideration on the details, all the long hours, and your entire production group's ceaseless effort to make these projects happen. I know many of us are extremely grateful that you responded so quickly to the calls for a smaller EV2 styled option!

Also, many thanks to the EDCF and all our members over the years who have shown interest in providing feedback, and have engaged in this dev process. I believe these Evade projects would not have been the same without you guys... THANK YOU!

Last edited by RED-FIVE, Jul 13, 2019
    #78 RED-FIVE, Jul 12, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
    MH-05, HELM, twin63 and 1 other person like this.
  19. HELM
    • Sponsor - Manufacturer

HELM Loaded Pockets

@RED-FIVE, I should thank you for keeping the flame alive on all the A19 related threads. Unfortunately or fortunately, this has been my busiest year to date with the main work I do. Every time I try to get something A19 related taken care, something new pops up. While I have a bunch of stuff I need to get done A19 related, the main gig provides a challenge.

Anyway with the EV1.5 I wanted to bring full closure to the Evade line that started here. As everyone knows that by the time we launched the EV2.0 the immediate feedback was the size but most were happy with the revisions so I had to get this done before anything else ‘cos the production availability is kinda getting limited.

Ref the back wall, that was one of the things I saw pop up most of the time. There are some among us that prefer a plain back wall with the option to add the panel only if required. I personally have never even velcro’d anything on the back wall of my EV2!

So I’ll be spending time this week here at the design studio / production facility to confirm the fabrics we have in stock so that I can list all these out for the pre-order on Sunday.

I am finally free this weekend to work on this so if anyone has any Qs, please feel free. Thanks all!

twin63, chaosmagnet and RED-FIVE like this.
  20. calgarycowboy

calgarycowboy Empty Pockets

Fantastic Friday news! I've been hunting for a new backpack the last few months. Want a sleek backpack for work, with a laptop holder but something that could also be used for light travel and weekend day use. This sounds perfect and happy to support a brand and owner that seems so active here.

Don't know what fabrics are releasing for the 1.5, but any comments from anybody on the heavier 1050d or 500d/ripstop fabrics...if those are options? I've heard before 1050d ballistic is rough for wear on fabrics, but I don't like the ripstop look personally. Is 500d a poor choice for the long run as it's less rugged from my understanding? Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk

chaosmagnet likes this.