1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Alpha One Niner - Evade 1.5 and 1.5 "Lite" Released!

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by RED-FIVE, May 16, 2019.

1. RED-FIVE
    • +4 Supporter
    • In Omnia Paratus

RED-FIVE Loaded Pockets

While we're considering the back wall situation, there may be a few of us wondering what's planned concerning Evade 1.5 Colorways... This maybe a good time to voice any preferences for fabrics and colors.

We would need @HELM to confirm Evade 1.5 color and fabric options and if any substitutions, or additions are planned. Also, since an EV2 two-tone Diamond Ripstop/Grey Ripstop version was passed on and not offered at preorder... Does the possibility exist for an Evade 1.5 two-tone Diamond Ripstop version this time around?

EDIT: I did uncover a mention from Helm on a new Med Navy Ripstop color...
    This came in answer to a question: "Will the EV1.5 be available in ripstop?"
    " ...it most probably will and this time I hope to add a Med Navy ripstop too..."

Helm confirms weight of the 500D Evade 1.5 (from samples): "it’s 3.8 lbs. - Helm"

Another reply to a question on what colors/fabrics will be offered:
    "...I plan not the same as the EV2 and thinking about adding a Med Navy ripstop. Here’s a photo of what it looks like... - Helm"

Concerning weights of the different fabrics and other specs in:

“haven’t gotten that far yet. Would need to a sample all each fabric and weigh them all. Rest assured all the specs will be laid out like the last time and you guys can decide from there… - Helm” ;)

Very nice ripstop color option @HELM ! That looks to be a sample of the Sentinel in 420D Med Navy Ripstop, (no laptop compartment, Locking #10 main zipper) Very cool! ;)

For reference the Evade 2.0 was offered for preorder with the following six color/fabric options:
    • 500D Black Nylon
    • 500D Wolf Grey Nylon
    • 500D Multicam Black Nylon
    • 420D Diamond Ripstop Black Nylon
    • 1050D Ballistic Nylon Black
    • 500D Med Navy Nylon
    The optional EV2 - PALS Panel, Beavertail, and Padded Hip Belt were all offered with a color matched option that corresponded to the pack colors. With the exception of the EV2 PALS Panel (not compatible with the EV1.5) Helm confirmed EV2 Hip Belt and Beavertail will be compatible with the Evade 1.5 which is good news.

Last edited by RED-FIVE, Oct 8, 2019
    #41 RED-FIVE, Jun 13, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
  2. Happygodavid

Happygodavid Loaded Pockets

Personally, I’d love a 1.5 with the EV1’s “gray” that was more green. What can I say, I’m a fan of green. :) Tho, I do love my wolf gray 2. Just would like to have a green one.

twin63 and RED-FIVE like this.
  3. Tromba

Tromba Loaded Pockets

Can I trade my 2.0 for a 1.5?

Bimmer4me likes this.
  4. Chris C

Chris C Loaded Pockets

I know it was mentioned that the two tone rip stop didn’t sell well on the EV1 but if it was made available for the EV 1.5 I would more than likely get that one.

I definitely would like to see some sort of additional attachment options for the back wall. However depending on what you mount on it could cause the bag to bend a bit. I had an issue with the Rigid Insert molle panel when I attached some pouches to it that had a bit of weight to them. Will their be any additional reinforcement added to the back panel? Stiffer back panel or aluminum stay to add rigidity?

I know the laptop compartment isn’t designed for it , but just to help this already versatile pack add more function by adding a loop or D ring to the top of the laptop compartment to attach a water bladder for day hike use?

Will the CCW pocket opening be the size of the EV1 or EV2? Any possibility to add lockable zippers to it?

Thanks again HELM for working with us!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MH-05 and RED-FIVE like this.
  5. gaap master

gaap master Loaded Pockets

My first choice is DRB. May consider getting one in solid black too.

RED-FIVE likes this.
  6. Norseman

Norseman Loaded Pockets

No interest in FDE?? Are these gray man?

RED-FIVE likes this.
  7. Captainkirk

Captainkirk Loaded Pockets

Grayest of the gray. That was their idea from the beginning.

RED-FIVE likes this.
  8. Norseman

Norseman Loaded Pockets

Lol ok I see.

RED-FIVE likes this.
  9. Bimmer4me

Bimmer4me Loaded Pockets

@HELM, I posted my interest on the FB page too but count me in for a 1.5 if it's released in the 1050D BNB and I say leave the back wall plain ripstop as this is a smaller pack. Would love to know the weight of the 1050D version of the EV1.5 as well, otherwise weight may drive me to pick the 500D version instead...5 lbs for the EV2 BNB was just too unwieldy

A 1000D Cordura variant in black or grey would be sweet too :D

Last edited by Bimmer4me, Jun 14, 2019
    #49 Bimmer4me, Jun 14, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
  10. RED-FIVE
    • +4 Supporter
    • In Omnia Paratus

RED-FIVE Loaded Pockets

After having a few days to consider this option. I've gone back and fourth on the back wall details...

Stream of Consciousness...

Plain Back Wall = EV1.5 lighter, I can add my own PALS Panel, then I can detach it and use it elsewhere at a moments notice.

PALS/Velcro BW = EV1.5 heavier, cannot remove built in PALS/Velcro, cannot easily and quickly transfer pouches to another pack.

The Sentinel will have the PALS/Velcro back wall, and could still be considered lighter.

The Evade 1.5 with PALS/Velcro back wall will be closer in weight to the Evade 2.0 than to the Evade 1.0. EDIT: (This should not surprise us really, because the EV1.5 is slightly larger by 0.5 " in height & depth than the EV1. I appreciate that Helm's trying to balance weight... being an important factor in determining the out come of the feature set.)

But then there's the 6x3 "half" back wall pattern/config which has considerable merit. More to come on this shortly... (edit)

Having a plain back wall lets us stay light as possible, scaled down if needed. Will still have the Matroskya Pouch hanger D-Rings.

With a plain back wall... I can still add a separate PALS Panel and not have redundant PALS/Velcro unused on the back wall adding weight.

A Plain Back Wall... its lighter, non redundant with added Panels, makes the pack predominately lighter weight for those who don't EDC internal molle pouches.

A Plain Back Wall... just may be the most versatile configuration you can have?

More on using a PALS Panel for pouches...When using a stand alone PALS Panel both side can be utilized effectively increasing the surface area to mount molle gear, multiple panels can be used to setup gear for various activities. Swapping panel is immediately the fast way to reconfigure a pack for a different role.

(edit: Then there's the 6x3 back wall config which has considerable merit)

Well... i think i need an expresso...
    :smile_coffee:

No... Really! I'm serious!!

[​IMG]

Last edited by RED-FIVE, Jun 14, 2019
    #50 RED-FIVE, Jun 14, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
    gaap master and Myrddraal like this.
  11. Myrddraal

Myrddraal Loaded Pockets

Good kickoff! I have a preference for the way Hill People Gear do their back walls on most of their packs. It's a plain wall with hanger tabs up top for a combo molle/velcro panel, which can easily be unclipped and pulled out of the bag. It's nice to be able to remove it and shed a few ounces if it's not needed.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

RED-FIVE likes this.
  12. RED-FIVE
    • +4 Supporter
    • In Omnia Paratus

RED-FIVE Loaded Pockets

Hey Man! I totally agree, I really have been looking for modularity with the panels. And it opens up a ton of possibility! ;)

13. Bimmer4me

Bimmer4me Loaded Pockets

Anyone else really wish we could eliminate the Ccw compartment to drop weight and simplify the bag? I never ever use that section of the bag haha

chaosmagnet likes this.
  14. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Not really,for me this was the reason for the bag overall.

RED-FIVE and Bimmer4me like this.
  15. Boarhunterward

Boarhunterward Loaded Pockets

I wouldn’t mind it. I don’t think off-body carry is very practical or safe and don’t really use it for anything else.

Happygodavid and Bimmer4me like this.
  16. chaosmagnet
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

chaosmagnet Loaded Pockets

I understand and respect your preference, but for me the CCW compartment is very important.

Myrddraal, Bimmer4me and RED-FIVE like this.
  17. chaosmagnet
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

chaosmagnet Loaded Pockets

I carry on-body 100% of the time, but sometimes I carry off-body as well, or need a place to stash my pistol inconspicuously (and then, this is important lock the bag up!) when I need to enter a facility where the pistol isn’t legal to carry.

18. RED-FIVE
    • +4 Supporter
    • In Omnia Paratus

RED-FIVE Loaded Pockets

The concealed compartment has been a continued topic of discussion since @HELM launched the Evade Project here on the forum back on June 21, 2014 (5 years ago). Most recently, Helm has been signaling that A19’s Project Evade will come to a close with the release of the forthcoming Evade 1.5 and Sentinel (now Ev1.5 Lite) backpacks. Seeing how far the Evade has come, it may be fitting to have a look back at how the CCW compartment remained a constant through all the iterations to become one of the core design elements for the Evade.

Below is a brief sampling I hope will be informative to our members of Helm’s past forum comments and video mentions concerning the Evade CCW Compartment. Beginning with the initial Evade 1.0 development thread 6/2014, and also his comments following through the "Evade 2.0 Wish List" thread:

A quick notes on the format below… Direct Links & Helm’s Quotes:
    I’ve provided first the direct link to Helm’s post and the question Helm is responding to... and below that link, his replies to other members as Blue Text in case you prefer not to navigate over to read his comments in the original thread.
    ;) Thanks! RF

Here's Helm on the topic of the CCW or sometimes hidden stash compartment, how it can be versatile storage space, and the pro/cons of On/Off body carry...

https://www.edcforums.com/threads/new-crowdsourced-product-developments-as-we-go-along.122106/page-4#post-1971443
    I hear you sir but there is much more to a CCW compartment than just for guns. It could easily be a primary or even secondary tablet compartment, you can have velcro kits to hold slim items in there and when you're traveling that can be the semi-hidden compartment where you stash your passport or your whole travel wallet. You can even Velcro a compact IFAK in there.

On a separate note I have mentioned this on a different thread that I am not a proponent for having my carry pistol in a bag. It remains on my strong side unless I have to have it in the pack for some reason. But this appears to be what others like and less about moi.

https://www.edcforums.com/threads/new-crowdsourced-product-developments-as-we-go-along.122106/page-5#post-1975618
    GatorMedic, thanks for the comments. I just wanted to make it clear that what was shown in the video are just examples and not necessarily ideas nor concept that has been finalized for this daypack project we're working on. What I'm trying to do is show what I've done, crowdsource ideas and combine these with whatever out there that currently works before coming to a final baseline for the pack.

On a separate note, I've mentioned this before that I don't believe any CCW should be in a bag. Maybe it's me but no matter where it is in a bag, you can't access it fast enough compared to drawing it from your strong side, SOB, appendix, etc. With "Off Body" carry there is always the chance that you might leave your pack somewhere, unattended or otherwise. At the moment when you need your CCW, you could be 'separated' from it. Btw that photo of the pistol, mags and tool is not from a pack, it's from a discreet rifle case. It was to show the Velcro holster kit and not anything else. Sorry for the confusion.

I have to take a look at the Moab 10. It's a sling bag isn't it? Let me go have a peek. Thanks again for the comments. Much appreciated.

https://www.edcforums.com/threads/new-crowdsourced-product-developments-as-we-go-along.122106/page-6#post-1987185

…I wanted to test this prototype and see how it works. In the meantime, here's one quick observation:
    • The CCW zippered pocket at the back was a godsend. As was mentioned earlier in the thread, just becos you don't CCW it does not mean you can't use it for something else. Having to go through so many airport securities this week, I have taken to using it to stash my iPad and since there was enough space, I could even stash my passport organizer in it. With a frame sheet and 3D Airmesh, I didn't feel any of it against my back.
    I haven't had to hike a distance with it thus far, so will revert if I do.

https://www.edcforums.com/threads/new-crowdsourced-product-developments-as-we-go-along.122106/page-6#post-1987308
    I hear you brother. I'm no fan of off-body carry but some of the guys have pointed out good reasons for it. Anyway having heard both sides, I don't think I'd be calling it a CCW pocket/compartment; name it something else and let everyone decide how best to utilize it. This needs to be an EDC bag, first n foremost, with configurable/flexible/modular options.

Helm's Evade Videos where the CCW Compartment was mentioned:

Helm’s comments on the CCW compartment (ccw comments begin 6:25 Mins) within the video run down of the (Evade) Prototype Sample:
    EDC Backpack Update - Feb 2015
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=509&v=OIMFd0bNNgU

Helm’s comments on the CCW compartment (ccw comments begin @ 8:20 mins) within the Evade Final Preview Video:
    Alpha One Niner - Recon 9, EVADE Backpack
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bMGTB2uK7Y

Helm's Evade 2.0 CCW compartment comments:

https://www.edcforums.com/threads/alpha-one-niner-evade-2-0-wish-list.138709/page-2#post-2657982
    ….the rear concealed compartment will remain for the new Gen. I've inquired and it does appear that most are utilizing and like it. That said gents, be very very careful when your Evade is used for both off-body carry and air travel. I have seen once too many times where friends have forgotten that extra magazine that they chucked into their pack until they go through security. If you are indeed going to use it for both occasions, make sure you use that rear compartment and get into the habit of checking that compartment ALL the time before you head to the airport or (for some of us) before you cross state lines.

Last edited by RED-FIVE, Jun 15, 2019
    #58 RED-FIVE, Jun 15, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
  19. MH-05

MH-05 Loaded Pockets

couldn't agree more the importance of having the ccw compartment. The usage is not only limited to carry a weapon. It's good to have the option to have the lock BUT in my opinion, that makes it obvious for others to know it's something important inside. Also, no matter how big the lock is, it's very easy to open it if someone really wants to open it. So, in m opinion, it'd be a lot easier to have the zipper pull hidden somewhere and so far I think Helm has done a good job to make it discreet for both 1.0 and 2.0.

RedFive, if you happen to know the kind of fabric that will be used for 1.5 (if it's the same as 1.0 or 2.0), please share it with us.
    Im really hating the fabric of my 2.0 at the moment. Don't get me wrong, I love the bag so much, it's just looks clumsy (just ordinary and nothing special) for my 2.0 as I thought the 500D would have the same texture feeling as my 500D 1.0.
    So, I need to choose it right this time :)

Thanks

Myrddraal likes this.
  20. Chris C

Chris C Loaded Pockets

The lockable zipper is more to abide by certain state laws that require the firearm to be in a locked container while being transported in a vehicle. Say for example going to the range.

RED-FIVE likes this.