1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Alox Pox III, "The Infection Strikes Back!"

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by cowsmilk, Jun 25, 2014.

1. Aloxfox

Aloxfox Loaded Pockets

I know that for most of us alox is almost a brand of Victorinox. (And that's a good thing!)
    Some still know that Wenger also made Alox knife. But actually an Alox knife is simply
    a knife with anodized aluminum handles

So, what about non swiss alox knives? From Sheffield for example?

[​IMG]

Nick4305 and pierch like this.
  2. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

@Aloxfox: are you sure that 'Alox' is a generic term? Or has it become sort of a 'de facto' generic as things like 'kleenex' for facial tissues, 'formica' for laminated counter tops, etc.?

In the two examples I just cited, the respective trademark owners do still fight trademark infringement cases when other businesses use those terms commercially, even if said trademark owners recognize that fighting the use of the names in a generic sense by the mass public would be a losing battle...

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

Nick4305 likes this.
  3. Nick4305
    • In Omnia Paratus

Nick4305 EDC Junkie!!!!!

Hi Screwit,
    that specific item is an yearly Victorinox/Nespresso's edition, not that rare to find. See if you want better details about it and other Aloxs on my own personal thread:
    Nick4305's alley (most of all Alox).

4. Nick4305
    • In Omnia Paratus

Nick4305 EDC Junkie!!!!!

Hi MbD,
    i'm not completely sure - and this is a bad thing, for an Alox addicted as i named myself... )-; ; btw i'm quite sure that "Alox" in Victorinox items stays for pure aluminium (or "aluminum", as some of you guys on the other side of the pond say) with a strongly hardened electrical anodizing process, and hot temperature paint; the chemical/industrial has to be named "Eloxal" in the first phase of the process. I'm not that expert to say this is really an answer to your question. Better ask to the Masters... @Aloxfox ?

#2824 Nick4305, Jul 8, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2019
    Moshe ben David likes this.
  5. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

Alox is indeed generic: https://www.acronymfinder.com/Aluminum-Oxide-(ALOX).html

Moshe ben David and Nick4305 like this.
  6. Aloxfox

Aloxfox Loaded Pockets

No, you misunderstood my comment.
    Victorinox does not reserve the term alox for himself. (I clarified that to Victorinox myself).
    But at Alox, most of us think of Victorinox products - this thread is proof of that.

The term ALOX stands - as seen in the link from Tesla - for aluminum oxide. (amongst other things)
    The protective layer that forms on the surface during anodising consists of Alox - ie aluminum oxide,

Moshe ben David and Nick4305 like this.
  7. Screwit

Screwit Empty Pockets

Great thread and great collection! I’m not a collector myself. I prefer to use them as much as I can. Just wanted a pleasing to the eye color.

Nick4305 likes this.
  8. Screwit

Screwit Empty Pockets

Wish I could figure out how to post pics. I picked up a great looking Solo recently.

9. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

You have to use a picture hosting site (such as Imgur or something similar). The problem I have with that is that the sites seem to come & go...sometimes taking your pictures down with them. That's the reason I don't post pictures. Unfortunately, there's no way to upload pictures from your PC on EDC forums.

10. Screwit

Screwit Empty Pockets

That’s a bummer. I’m use to being able to post straight from my phone.

11. 0880

0880 Loaded Pockets

Consider using the Tapatalk app. It allows you to do just that. It is also a great way to browse all of your forums easily from one place.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S10+