1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Almost perfect packs or finding the holy grail,is it the packs or is it just us?

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by Jay-uk, Mar 24, 2018.

1. Jay-uk

Jay-uk Loaded Pockets

So many near perfect packs but we never have the perfect set up is this our unrealistic ideals or are is it our ever changing demands whicj may lead to us never being satisfied with a single pack or maybe we are just waiting for some designer to listen to our needs.

As an example the Rush series was pretty much a game changer and has sparked so many copies ,influencing lots of packs since .

The organisation and durability really ticked a lot of boxes but there is the Rush issues I want the same or similar pack but with no molle/lighter/better yoke etc,etc

Packs have come and gone which have addressed the aforementioned issues people had and we have some great stuff on the market Goruck ,Vertx,firefighter etc

Are our demands unrealistic for example a pack that's ultra organised (Gamut ) leaves little interior room yet a pack that's free from pre arranged slots and pockets leaves us with room is an empty storage vessel but the lacking organisation ( Khard) ,do we need to realise that we have to compromise and settle , the Goruck seems a settling point for a lot of people

Can there be an answer ? All our needs are varied , we damand differing choices and requirements

For me I would like a pack that's very comfortable and light,main body is roll top to cope with different load demands but also has side pockets and storage with small pockets of the waist band .
    There are plenty of day bags and hiking style that will cover thst easily but I like something tactical ish

Will you ever find your ideal pack ? How close are you currently

2. BTG108

BTG108 Loaded Pockets

For me it’s been an iterative process. I learn more with each pack. I feel like I’m getting closer and closer to the ‘perfect’ pack.

Will I ever find it? Realistically, probably not - but for me that’s because nobody is making it yet. Some are close. Some are very close.

Would I recognize it if I saw it? Yep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ike582 and Jay-uk like this.
  3. Jay-uk

Jay-uk Loaded Pockets

Great response it's how I'm feeling all the time so many are close ( even several I have ) but each one that ain't is a compromise.

I've nailed lots of bags for various needs that I'm happy with 100% and won't change .

Ideal day hike(OMM) ,several day hike (karrimor Sf) ,comfort camp ( UK army Bergen) ,everyday sling bag ( pacsafe small and large rotated for seasons) ,work messenger (5.11) ,car bag (Rush 12) ,emergencies bag (Rush 24) ,running and cycling ( Geigerrig )

but I cannot find an EDC carry that I'm super content with like the ones that match my other needs

#3 Jay-uk, Mar 24, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2018
    BTG108 likes this.
  4. Tallboyjim

Tallboyjim Loaded Pockets

I've got close by looking a bit outside the box but I don't think I ever will find the perfect pack because my needs will probably change or at least how I view my perceived "needs" will change. It's the same with SAKs - umpteen models and none of them are perfect. Some are a close fit, then you pick up a new one and suddenly that's a better fit, at least for a while.

If I'm honest I could happily manage with the bags I own (I'm sure most of us could) but it doesn't stop me looking!

Journo, crossada and Jay-uk like this.
  5. Myrddraal

Myrddraal Loaded Pockets

What does this pack look like for you?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Jay-uk likes this.
  6. shrap

shrap Loaded Pockets

You might want to read the book "The Paradox of Choice"; or just the Wikipedia article, which is a pretty good summary; of why it feels like we al feel like we're just waiting for the perfect thing.

It sounds like you're a maximizer, not a satisfier, so you basically want to see every single option before making a decision. Except there are a near-limitless variety of different packs out there, and they're at the price level that's enough to make you want to do your research since you can't afford all of them.

Plus add in the fact that our needs change on a regular basis, and finding the perfect anything is simply a big waste. Plus things usually have opposing requirements - I want a pack that is super organized yet is versatile (so less confining organization), super durable but also super light, and is also super cheap yet high quality.

Jay-uk likes this.
  7. BTG108

BTG108 Loaded Pockets

For my EDC: something like the Alpha One Niner Evade but bigger (like the v2 will be) and with the ability to stand on its own.

For on the trail it would be something like the Kelty Redwing 44 but with a Kifaru style removable belt and Kifaru style shoulder straps.

I may buy a Redwing and do some customizing so I can stop complaining.

RED-FIVE and Jay-uk like this.
  8. Myrddraal

Myrddraal Loaded Pockets

This is a great post. I think we all have this idea of a holy grail pack. Some packs have come very close, but my definition of the perfect pack has evolved over the last few years. I generally prefer packs that have tons of built-in organization, like the rush series, but for some uses I find myself leaning more toward packs that leave the organization up to the user. I just bought the Hill People Gear Aston House BC, and I love the way it allows me to customize my loadout. It just depends on my intended use. For me, there will never be one pack that covers everything.

That being said, the closest any pack has come to being my holy grail pack has been the Evade. What an amazing experience it has been as a member of a forum, working with a skilled pack designer like Helm, who has translated all our input to create a truly incredible pack. I can't wait to see the Evade 2.0.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

NeWt, RED-FIVE and BTG108 like this.
  9. twin63

twin63 Loaded Pockets

Same here. The Evade takes care of everything I need in a day to day pack. I have other bags that cover other scenarios (camping, heavier/larger load outs, etc.), but the Evade is nearly perfect for what I need in a pack that is with me 6-7 days a week.

Jay-uk, RED-FIVE and Myrddraal like this.
  10. onebadwagon

onebadwagon Loaded Pockets

I love my GR1. Everything about it works so well for me, except I would really like big stretchy water bottle pockets and 33-35L in a GR1. The GR2 is great, but I really think they nailed the GR1 design. I just need to carry more, but I don't want/need multiple main compartments, thicker frame sheets or much bigger shoulder straps.

Until then, I still keep beating on my current GR1, trying to keep myself from buying one of those fresh Black Multicam ones they just dropped and hoping that someone, anyone, makes a bigger bag that is as good all around as the GR1 for me.

Myrddraal, Jay-uk and BTG108 like this.
  11. BTG108

BTG108 Loaded Pockets

I said almost this exact thing on Reddit the other day. So many bags lack water bottle pockets- it drives me nuts.

Myrddraal, Jay-uk and onebadwagon like this.
  12. onebadwagon

And the outdoors packs are even worse, it's such a pain in the :censored:. They build those pockets like you'd only ever want to store a clif bar in them. If it doesn't fit a nalgene, get the hell out of here with that nonsense. I just bought a Kifaru Urban ruck to try out, and man, they've got the side pockets figured out.

Myrddraal, Jay-uk and BTG108 like this.
  13. BTG108

BTG108 Loaded Pockets

I’ve almost pulled the trigger on that or the Doorgunner.

onebadwagon likes this.
  14. onebadwagon

Man, I don't love Kifaru's straps as much as GoRuck's, but then again, they really do set the bar for how well a non-suspension pack can carry IMO.

Otherwise, it's pretty much what I was after for a knock around day pack. Although I really would have liked it to be 30+ liters, I guess I'm the only one.

15. BTG108

BTG108 Loaded Pockets

I’ve got an Antero I’m just starting to get working on and a Xing as soon as I can get the previous owners smoke out of it. I love breaking in packs...

16. Jay-uk

Jay-uk Loaded Pockets

Man if I was able to get a Kifaru zippy or Antero I would be a very happy guy .
    The price point plus shipping and tax to the UK wipes out any hope sadly.

17. Myrddraal

Myrddraal Loaded Pockets

Yes, exactly. I can make almost any pack work for me as long as it has water bottle pockets. I've tried myriad molle solutions but none are as good as ones that are built in. That's why I will never buy a goruck.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Jay-uk likes this.
  18. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Same here exactly.
    I LOVE my GR2 and would get a GR1 in a second if it had bottle pockets at all?

If the Evade was built to the same insane standard as the Goruck it might well be "The One" for me!

So I just keep using it anyway and it is pretty close.

19. ArkansasFan30

ArkansasFan30 Loaded Pockets

If you took a Goruck and made the back padding more ventilating somehow and lined the inside of the shoulder straps and back you'd be nearly perfect. I've come to think some kind of webbing on the bottom, which very few tactical bags seem to have, would be very beneficial as well. But to each their own.

20. Jay-uk

Jay-uk Loaded Pockets

Agreed bottle holder is a deal maker/breaker