1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

All-year round EDC carry bag...

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by RogerStenning, Jun 22, 2017.

1. JOE68

JOE68 Loaded Pockets

I have a RUSH 24, and while I'm still tweaking things here and there, it is a great work bag.
    Stuffing jackets and other bulky items within it still poses "issues" depending on the make, model, size etc. and the load out you're carrying, .
    A 2XL jacket will take up more space than a Medium for instance.
    During the winter months I've stuffed my jacket plus two water bottles in the main compartment with no issues of overloading.
    It makes for a "full" pack, but not a lot of weight, and the compression straps can keep things tight
    I don't care for "shove it" pockets, bungee cords etc on the outside of the pack as the jacket can get snagged and then possibly ripped.
    If you want to stay within the 5.11 series the COVRT 18 fits right between the RUSH12 and 24 as far as the "numbers" go and has outside water bottle holders which free up room in the main compartments.
    A possible solution for getting the jacket to "fit" better might be a compression sack for the jacket to give it the smallest signature possible within the bag.
    Quilted jackets don't always fold up very small, but a compression sack might give you just that little bit of extra room that makes it fit.
    I like my RUSH 24 and use it like a "locker" to hold all my items at work.
    During the summer I could use a RUSH 12, but once the Canadian winter hits the RUSH 24 holds my uniform jacket, wool hat, gloves and the rest of my gear.
    While there are other great packs out there, my RUSH 24 has served me well in the last seven months and gets my vote for being a good all around pack to suit my needs.

anjin and RED-FIVE like this.
  2. onebadwagon

onebadwagon Loaded Pockets

The real question is what are you carrying other than the jacket? A jacket that big is basically the size of a rolled up sleeping bag. I'd start looking at a backpacking style pack and find one that meets your organizational needs for the rest of your gear. I don't really see the feasibility of stuffing it into your pack all of the time, but I've never had to carry a jacket like that daily so I could be way off.

How far are you carrying this stuff?

These fit your approximate sizing criteria.
    Osprey Manta AG36, Osprey Stratos 34 (tons of pockets), North Face Litus,

RogerStenning likes this.
  3. MedusaOblongata

MedusaOblongata Loaded Pockets

I've had my Rush 24 for years, and it's the best designed bag I've seen. It's well built, sturdy, and very well organized. The only thing it's missing is the side water bottle pocket, but it does have pockets accessible from the outside that can hold a bottle, or you can just add one on. I have never heard anybody say they didn't like their Rush 24. I see the Rush 24 as the backpack that all others are compared to, and none match up. It is large enough for your jacket, and anything else you want to carry, but it's not so big that you can't carry it around the city. If you didn't need it for this specific purpose, I would still recommend the Rush 24 because it's such a great bag.

anjin, echo victor and RogerStenning like this.
  4. 343KD

343KD Loaded Pockets

I recieved an update the other day that Cannae Pro Gear has most all of their packs on sale.
    The Phalanx pack looks to be down your alley at 30 liters.
    The Legion is a bit smaller at 21 liters.

5. RogerStenning

RogerStenning EDC Junkie

An oily (3 in 1) reply here... ;)

As to what I currently lug around on a daily basis, see this posting:
    https://www.edcforums.com/threads/leapers-utg-jumbo-clone.68482/page-3#post-2368120
    - note that I generally don't carry the Condor Sidekick Utility Pouch or its contents when I'm at work.

The winter coat is a 3/4 length puffer-format synthetic lined nylon coat, designed mostly for warmth, than rain or wind protection. It's cheap, as are most uniform clothes, of course, hence why the company plugged for it. Not blaming them one bit, just not what I would have chosen, were I given a choice in the matter :rofl: I hadn't considered a compression sack, but as this is a uniform item, it has to appear reasonably smart, and havng something with creases in all the wrong places just won't do, so I'll look into straps, rather than a bag - good idea, though, thanks :)

I'll add more comment on the RUSH 24 at the end of this posting.

All noted, and thanks. I'll add more comment on the RUSH 24 at the end of this posting.

I looked at that on reading your suggestion, thanks. Interesting. Nicely priced, too, but seems to lack the comprehensive organisation of the Rush-24; in addition, the only importer in the UK for these is up in Scotland, which makes looking and feeling prior to purchase a tad iffy (I'm in London, the US equivalent in terms of time, cost, and travel shock would be an overnight journey from NY to LA).

I've also looked at the Hazard 4 patrol pack, which is has close to the organisational capabilities of the RUSH-24 bag, although it's about fifty quid more expensive on average. It does have a nice glasses case on the bag, but that's not justification enough for it.

Thinking on further than the work side of things, it's be nice to have another justification for an intermediate-sized pack; I already have a number of exceedingly large bags (three bags, in fact, 1 x Berghaus Vulcan II pack, 1 x PLCE Bergan, and 1 x British Army-style deployment bag), a computer backpack for a laptop and accessories, but nothing in the EDC medium-carry range, so one of the above bags we've been discussing would seem to be indicated as well.

With all of this in mind, taking into account organisational and add-on capabilities as well, the RUSH-24 seems to be indicated. The Pros (flexibility, organisational capabilities, and sheer space in the bag, in my view, tend to outweigh the Cons, which are fairly short at size and over-capacity.

I think, then, I can easily work with a RUSH-24, so will be laying my greasy mitts on one in the next couple of weeks (whenever I can get my butt up to the Bushcraft Store n north London).

My thanks to everyone who chimed in and gave advice and opinions :D

twin63 and 343KD like this.
  6. MedusaOblongata

MedusaOblongata Loaded Pockets

There is a Rush 24 in the BST section up right now (not mine, I won't be selling mine). Might save you some money over buying new.

7. RogerStenning

RogerStenning EDC Junkie

Good pointer, thanks; Nice price, only problem is it's in CONUS, and shipping to the UK'll be hellishly expensive - I've shipped to the US a couple of times in the last year, and even using a slow boat to NY, it costs a packet for bulky items :( That, and the time it takes (up to a fortnight normal mail, which is the cheapest mail, even nowadays), it would still make more sense to buy new over here. Thanks for the heads up, though.

8. RogerStenning

RogerStenning EDC Junkie

Right, well I bought the Rush-24 pack yesterday from the Bushcraft Store in north London, along with a couple of other bits and bobs. Many thanks, one and all, for the advice and comments; they were VERY helpful :)

MedusaOblongata likes this.
  9. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

Good/spot on comments there, only recently have I thought that maybe my Rush 24 is a bit too big for walking around tight shops etc whilst on a city break for example. I think that 511 are missing a trick here though, so many folk seem to want a bag that fits between these two sizes, they should make one.

anjin, echo victor and RogerStenning like this.
  10. RogerStenning

RogerStenning EDC Junkie

A year and three quarters on, and a couple of observations on my Rush 24 from 5.11...

The bag, if you mount kit on the side panels of any meaningful weight, has a tendency to drop over onto it's front when you set it down, especially if the main compartment isn't filled. In my case, I have a bottle pouch for the left side (good for 1l bottles and larger KleenCanteen flasks), and on the right side a pair of FAKs (Trauma and extended basic first aid). It appears to be a structural issue, where the bag isn't designed to be set down on its base for long periods; this doesn't mean the bag is baldy designed - it's very well designed in fact, strong as an ox, and capable to the point of absurdity (don't ask what I carry in there, about the only thing missing is the kitchen sink!). Still, it's something you need to know, if you're considering the pack. The organisational layout inside the bag is amazing. I can put things in there and know exactly where they'll be, even in the dark, or fumbling around without looking.

So, all in all, this is a :censored: good bag, and I heartily recommend it.

11. RogerStenning

RogerStenning EDC Junkie

OK, six, nearly seven months later, and it's getting to be a bit colder again. I've used my normal summer bag, the UTG Clone, for the last half-year or so, but it's time to change up again, due to the carrying capacity limitations of the Jumbo-format clone.

I decided I couldn't put up with the collapsing nature of the 5.11 Rush 24 with what I've got loaded on it, so I'll be relegating that to a GHB in the boot (trunk) of my car; in it's place, I've pulled the trigger on a Maxpedition Kodiak gearslinger. It should be with me on Tuesday, ordered via Heinnie Haynes here in the UK.

Rationale: I don't carry it for hours at a time, mostly for about half- to three-quarters of an hour at a time, between my works depot and the three changeover points on my bus route. For that amount of time, given I'll likely be wearing a warm coat most of the time, the Kodoak will do. Looking at the organisational capabilities of the bag, it looks like I can carry all of the gear I want in it, and still remain reasonably organised.

I'll have to get a hard pouch for my prescription glasses (normal varifocals, prescription polarised varifocal sunglasses, and an amber night clip-on adaptor), ideally that can be attached to the top of the pack via PALS or similar (I do love the flap-mounted pouch on the Jumbo clone: It's perfect for my glasses case!).

I've got a new FAK pouch (Helikon-Tex Modular Individual Med Kit Pouch) for my personal FAK, and I'm going to transfer my TFAK pouch to the Kodiak via the PALS webbing on the Kodiak.

I suspect I'll have to get a few more pocket organiser pouches for some of the stuff I cart around, but I'm on a week of leave right now, so I've got the time to sort it all out right, before I go back to work next week :)

Photos to follow once I've got the pack and accessories all up and running :)

(edited to fix brainfart over the name of the bag, d'oh)

Last edited by RogerStenning, Nov 4, 2019
    #31 RogerStenning, Nov 3, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2019
  12. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

Look forward to seeing those pictures.

13. aicolainen

aicolainen Loaded Pockets

I have similar needs here in Norway.

In the cold season I like to have enough room in my bag that I can stuff my jacket in it when I go indoors somewhere. Throughout the winter that will usually be some kind of insulated jacket.
    As I've mentioned in other threads before, I also have a full set of light weight rain gear in my bag year round, as well as gloves and a spare wool hat during the cold season. This is in addition to all the other stuff, which often includes full set of gym clothes and change, as well as my regular EDC contents.
    My advantage, if I can call it that, is that I get to choose my own winter jackets (along with paying for them, of course) and I don't require much organization from my backpack. So in my situation, I actually get by with a fairly compact backpack, the Goruck GR1.
    Admittedly it's getting a bit crowded at times, when I bring the kitchen sink and all, but the clue is that it's indeed doable. And with full access to the main compartment it's easy to both pack and retrieve items even when pushed toward maximum capacity.
    Now, I'm not trying to sell anyone on Goruck, the price is just too high for that, my point is that simple backpacks like the GR1 is very versatile and size efficient. Organization usually comes with a price, and that is a less effective carry solution. I get the impression that organization is important to the OP, and well worth the higher weight and bulk to capacity ratio of the backpack. Still it's something to be aware of.

Another tip to anyone with similar needs, although I'm not sure if it's of any value today, is a backpack with horizontal separation. Back in the day, when I bought most of my outdoor backpacks, horizontal separation was a thing. This is basically a zippered flap at a certain height in the backpack, that can be unzipped or zipped to choose between one large compartment or two smaller compartments. There is separate access to each compartment. This is very useful if you have one or just a few large items you want to access without any risk of loosing the other items in the bag, or have them exposed to the elements. I have three backpacks between 35L to 135L that are organized this way, but they are all from the early 2000s, and I don't know if anyone makes anything similar today.

14. RogerStenning

RogerStenning EDC Junkie

For a non-tacticool bag, it's a good, simple, elegant design. And as you correctly observed, way, way, waaaaaaay over budget for me ;)

For my own use, I prefer a work bag to have a dedicated admin section, where pens, note books (paper, not computer), and other stuff I might need to access quickly (route guide, ticket guide, unpaid fare vouchers, etc) can be stowed . Hence the Kodiak ;)

(edited to fix brainfart over the name of the bag, d'oh)

#34 RogerStenning, Nov 4, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2019
  15. Tallboyjim

Tallboyjim Loaded Pockets

Do you mean koala or do you mean something coz I can’t find a koala on heinnie :D

16. RogerStenning

RogerStenning EDC Junkie

Sorry, I must have had a brainfart or something, it's the it's the Maxpedition Kodiak gearslinger. I don't know why the hell I put Koala :eek: Sorry for the confusion :(

I've edited previous entries to fix the brainfart over the name of the bag, D'OH [​IMG]

17. Tallboyjim

Tallboyjim Loaded Pockets

Thank heavens for that, I thought there was a bag I didn’t know about! I always liked the look of the Kodiak (and the stika) but I never got on with sling packs.

RogerStenning and twin63 like this.
  18. RogerStenning

RogerStenning EDC Junkie

I've been considering a replacement for my Rush 24 for a while, ever since it started to fall over once I'd fitted the first aid kits to it. The Sitka is a bit too small, I think, the Kodiak probably about meeting my needs; I also like the Y buckle over the top, which will make clipping oversized things to it easier by far, too.

Tallboyjim likes this.