1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

All-year round EDC carry bag...

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by RogerStenning, Jun 22, 2017.

1. RogerStenning

RogerStenning EDC Junkie

Currently, I use a UTG tactical messenger bag; it's good for the warmer months, but not so good for the colder ones, as I tend to carry bulkier items then (coats, for one!). So, I'm looking to add a decent daysack to the kit collection.

The specs are simple enough: it's got to have an average 35 litre or so capacity, MOLLE strapping capability, segmented organisation pouches, and be tough enough to sling around a car, bus, office, and out and about on the street and in the woods, day in, day out.

Price is a factor, and I don't want to spend more than £150.

This seems to indicate either the Maxpedition Typhoon Backpack, or the 5.11 Rush 24 Backpack.

Can anyone with either bag (or even both?!) please chime in and advise me of either bags strengths and/or weaknesses, please?

anjin likes this.
  2. Chips177

Chips177 Loaded Pockets

CamelBak Urban Assault comes in at 32 liters and also has a built in beaver tail for stuffing a coat. Amazing bag.

BimrFett, RED-FIVE, AlgoOPC and 3 others like this.
  3. RogerStenning

RogerStenning EDC Junkie

The outer lining looks a little thin - what's it made of? (bear in mind, this is going to get slung in the corner of the cab of my bus when at work, which is full of all manner of sharp edges that a bag can snag on).

4. Chips177

Chips177 Loaded Pockets

I don't have the bag in front of me (on an overnighter with the family), so I can't tell you the material. I can tell you that durability is the last thing I would worry about with that bag. It's built like a tank. I would worry more about your bus sustaining damage from throwing that bag at it.

RogerStenning likes this.
  5. RogerStenning

RogerStenning EDC Junkie

:rofl: OK, it's on the list, thanks :D

6. ArkansasFan30

ArkansasFan30 Loaded Pockets

Goruck GR2?

35L is a massive EDC bag.

Bobby Leang and RogerStenning like this.
  7. RogerStenning

RogerStenning EDC Junkie

Yeah, that's a massive daysack alright!

35 litres due to the puffer-style "storm jacket" (more a coat to keep you warm in the bus shelter, while waiting for the bus you're due to take over, really) the company issues us; they don't fold flat or roll small at all. It's bulky, but not that heavy. But, because of the typical British weather, it's wise to keep the :censored: thing handy. Hence the 35 litres capacity specs for the bag I eventually get.

8. Rainy
    • In Omnia Paratus

Rainy Uber Prepared

I carried a Goruck GR2 in the same way you describe, carrying a coat along with the rest of my EDC and i still had room for some groceries on my way home.

What turned me off it eventually, was the tactical look and the lack of a waterbottle pocket. Could work for you though.

9. RogerStenning

RogerStenning EDC Junkie

I'm not too worried about tactical looks, as long as it comes in black. Size-wise, I'm beginning to think that 35 litres, even considering the darn jacket, may be too large, as suggested by ArkansasFan30, above. I need to look into this a bit more, I think. All specs bar size are still in play, though.

10. Wesmanthetiger

Wesmanthetiger Loaded Pockets

Check out the First Tactical Tactix series backpacks. Well made and comfortable. Of the two you are comparing I prefer the 5.11 Rush series. I've never liked the layout of most the Maxpedition backpacks, nor wanted to pay way more when the 5.11 bags are so well made for less. YMMV.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

11. RogerStenning

RogerStenning EDC Junkie

Still fairly large bags; their 12-hour bag seems to have similar capacity to my existing UTG Multifunction bag, so that one's out, sadly. Pity, but there y'go. I like the Rush layout and organisation, but I'm none too fond of the internal materials, which look, at least i the photos, as if they're rather flimsy. I'd go along with your view on the layout of the Maxpud bags, although the materials used are pretty much bomb proof, from what I've seen. This said, I'm not a fan of their new AGR lines. I prefer traditional MOLLE-like strapping.

12. Rainy
    • In Omnia Paratus

Rainy Uber Prepared

In my experience, a pack with good compressionstraps, can have fairly large capacity without feeling or looking large.

Also, id give Camelbaks a serious look aswell.

13. RogerStenning

RogerStenning EDC Junkie

Thanks; I'll bear that in mind :)

14. 343KD

343KD Loaded Pockets

I am definitely a Goruck fan. I'd look into a GR2.
    That being said, what about a smaller pack with a beaver-tail that you could store your jacket on? The TAD Litespeed or EDC come to mind. Some Mystery Ranch packs can be had with beaver-tails (maybe?), among others like the Prometheus Design Works S.H.A.D.O.
    Just options!

ty_higg likes this.
  15. RogerStenning

RogerStenning EDC Junkie

I'm not sure I follow what you guys mean when you say 'beaver tail'?

16. CanvasNBrass

CanvasNBrass Loaded Pockets

This is a beaver tail. T.A.D.'s Fast Pack and Litespeed have beaver tails for example that can hold a helmet or can be deployed down to a long-gun on your pack. They can also be removed and on some packs used as a chest pack. I've never been a fan of them. Too many buckles.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. twin63

twin63 Loaded Pockets

Regarding the Maxpedition Typhoon...it's going to be a no-go. The main compartment is only around 10L, so it won't hold anything substantial like a jacket. It's a nice, well-built bag, but it's small. I bought one because I liked the layout, but ended up giving it to my brother because I missed having a water bottle pouch (adding one to the outer MOLLE webbing made the bag feel out of proportion). I carried a Pygmy Falcon 2 for several years as my EDC, but it is still a stretch to carry anything bulky in the main compartment.

I don't have a Rush 24, but do have the 12. Here is a pic of a size medium jacket with "puffy" quilted lining:
    [​IMG]

This is the Rush 12 with the jacket in the main compartment:
    [​IMG]

The jacket fits without much effort, although you probably wouldn't get anything else in the main compartment. You still have the outer pockets...it just depends on what you plan to carry. Something in between the size of the Rush 12 and 24 would give you more carrying capacity without being overly large.

18. twin63

twin63 Loaded Pockets

Duplicate post

Last edited by twin63, Jun 24, 2017
    #18 twin63, Jun 24, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2017
  19. RogerStenning

RogerStenning EDC Junkie

Cool, thanks. No, a beaver tail likely wouldn't be much use to me, it'd likely only get caught and snag on something.

20. RogerStenning

RogerStenning EDC Junkie

VERY helpful posting, mucho thanks :)

Capacity-wise, we're looking at having the capacity (and organisational capabilities)of a Maxpud Jumbo, plus the coat. I despise "messenger bags" as they're decidedly unwieldy, and again, go over the shoulder; weight-wise, that becomes very wearing on your carrying shoulder with a fully loaded, hence the desired backpack twin-strap format of bag. Ideally, it should have a drink bottle pouch on the side a la the Maxpud Jumbo (and the clone version Leapers UTG Multi-function bag that I use), but failing that, MOLLE strapping on the side, where I can then mount a bottle pouch. A grab handle on the top would be nice, but is not a deal breaker. I'd tend to agree on the size issue being between a RUSH-12 and -24, by the way.

Looks like this is going to be a long-haul search, darn it :(

twin63 likes this.