1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

All about Tadgear

Discussion in 'EDC Clothing' started by illusion, Sep 27, 2007.

1. stevebrule

stevebrule Loaded Pockets

TAD gear has the V-5 Ranger hoodie available now for anyone who is interested. it appears to be the same as the version 3, version 4 has a heavy nylon material that extends from just above the elbow down to the wrist which I like but the V-5 does not.

2. robsolo

robsolo Loaded Pockets

I don't have any comment on their products as I haven't yet purchased any. I do have to say that their website really, really sucks. :thumbsdown:

3. Elmo

Elmo Loaded Pockets

sizes

sizing appears to be a big problem. for us and for TAD Gear.

The "simple" solution would be to add a sizing section to their website and provide much more info.

For example:
    fit: slim, std, big [better terminology would be useful] Canada Goose does this,.
    measurements: We get shoulder. How about waist and hips for garments.

They may have to do this by specific product.

4. ekam

ekam Empty Pockets

Re: sizes

http://www.tadgear.com/content.php?id=30

5. gcstct

gcstct Loaded Pockets

Re: sizes

Well and good, but in my experience that chart is partly accurate at best. As I posted above, a "tailored fit" jacket I bought matched that "tailored fit" diagram only in the arms and shoulders. The torso and waist areas were much more like the "relaxed fit" diagram. What would be really helpful would be specific measurements for each style.

6. illusion

illusion Loaded Pockets

+1

I dont like some of their business solutions or attitude, but I still feel drawn towards theirs stuff... :shrug:

7. Nomadtv

Nomadtv Empty Pockets

Hey all, Heres my Take on TAD:

First of all I own probably $3k+ worth of their gear. I used to be SAR in colorado, rock climbing, mountaineering, bear guide in alaska ect... I used to be way up on North Face then Mountain Smith, mountain hardware ect... these days I sold off almost all of my gear in exchange for TAD. I didnt do it 'cause their cool (but they are)... I did it because on almost every piece of gear Ive ever bought from them, I have found a beefier, more well thought out, tougher and more user friendly piece of gear.

Their backpacks are some of the best out there. Their twill cargos (force 10's) are the BEST pants Ive ever owned. and their jackets are kick @ss.
    As far as Jackets, Sizing will vary a bit from model to model. best thing to do is ask about 5 different people about the fit they got in relation to you and then go from there...
    Jackets I own (Im normally XL all the way around... 6'1", 225lbs, stocky with broad shoulders and a few extra inches around the waist:

Stealth SS hoodie... size xl is a perfect fit either alone or with the preatorian woolie underneath

Predator Shell.... The XL is MASSIVe on me and only really fits when Im bundled up like kenny. I can throw the rather heavy weight stealth hoddie underneath and its still a wee bit baggy. I could very well have gone Large.

Preatorian Merino sweather... Xl is spot on for me... it form fits but is still flattering around the midsection.. which for me is amazing

Robin Hoodie, techwool.... I had to tailor this, the sleeves on the XL were about 2 inches too long, and I have fairly long arms... if you are lanky, it'll fit, if not prepare to have a tailor take a couple inches off... otherwise its a good fit with extra area around the waist which for us slightly bigger guys is A. Flattering and B. allows for good concealed carry if thats your thing. Its personally my very favorite as it looks good enough for a dinner date but would work on the streets of a cold eastern european city street in a rough part of town.

Stealth hoodie... man this thing is heavy duty warm... XL fits good to a wee bit big but not enough to complain. This thing would serve you well even in Antarctica, I know I been there. Its so heavy duty that i rarely wear it and it gets really cold in seattle...

For the cold I prefer the preatorian and the Stealth SS hoodie combo if I dont mind lookin a little gung ho, or the preatorian and the Robinhoodie to look normal to slightly dressy.

All of their jackets are built damned well. My favorite feature is the duck pockets, which I can no longer live without... Perfect for Gloves and a hat.. youll never loose them or be without again as they dont get in the way like they would in the front pockets. The pockets on their tech jackets have great flashlight slots and clips for retractable lanyards so youll never loose your light / EDC Folder again... The Fenix LT1 fits perfectly here.

personally I think their products are almost all well worht the money... but like anything you'll never know till you get it and try it..its all personal. for me almost all of their stuff works better than any other supplier.

Their customer service is top notch... as was mentioned, just try calling back a few times till you get someone live then its done and done.. when they say theyll call back... they actually do it. Also you can always get the fastest service at the USN forum (used to be a memeber...)

Also, alot of their gear is in action right now.. alot of true operators swear by it.

8. myke

myke Loaded Pockets

I feel the need to review/complain about recent TAD gear purchases.

Wool watch caps: Made in China...seriously? Way too expensive for made in China. Way too thin and almost not enough material to flip the edge over like every other watch cap ever made. Thumbs down!

Garage jacket: When they say a little extra room for concealed carry they mean it! I'm 5'10" and got the medium, shoulders and arms are perfect. I have a 32" waist, this thing could fit like a 38" easy. Again way too thin and flimsy feeling for the money. If I can't sell it I might try to get it tailored. I do like all the pockets...Thumbs sideways?

Wool neck gaiter thing: seems pretty good, this one is hard to mess up. Thumbs up.

9. WoodMotorsports

WoodMotorsports Loaded Pockets

I got my first TAD Gear order delivered about 3 hours ago. Ranger V5 and a few patches. I'm already in love with the thing and it's not cold enough here to wear it yet. Bad news is the wife likes it too, and just headed to the grocery store in it! XL worked great for me at 5'11" and 230, but the wife it lost in it. Looks like I'll have to make a Christmas order so she'll have one that fits.

10. Nomadtv

Nomadtv Empty Pockets

My Wifey dont know it yet but shes gettin the Stealth SS hoodie for women in a package via santa. Hope she likes it, shes picky but has as of late taken a likeing to more technical jackets. Fingers crossed.

11. illusion

illusion Loaded Pockets

Cant go wrong with the ranger!

12. gcstct

gcstct Loaded Pockets

Another weird fit experience. You know, I love the way Tadgear's stuff looks, and it's definitely well-constructed, but on a practical level, ie. actually wearing the gear, I'm definitely not batting 1000 so far.

So I recently got the Praetorian Hoodie Reloaded. The fabric is fantastic--thickest, heaviest single-layer Merino piece I've come across--and a great color too. But the fit? It seems to have been designed for someone who's extremely tall in relation to their width. I started with the medium. The arm length was perfect, maybe even a little long, but the sleeves fit very tightly all the way down the arms in a way that made movement uncomfortable. The shoulders were super tight and binding. The body fit was uncomfortably snug. And this was before washing. If this thing shrunk even the tiniest bit, it would be unusable. So then I tried the large. The shoulders fit perfectly. The body fit was much better than the medium, but drooped in weird places like the armpits and shoulder blades. The hood was gigantic, swallowing my head and drooping over my eyes. The sleeves went almost to the end of my fingers. Looks like the weird binding fit of the medium was probably the intended one.

Final verdict: If you have a normal-shaped frame and want a great-looking wool garment that fits like a superhero costume and restricts movement, this one's for you, I guess.

13. stevebrule

stevebrule Loaded Pockets

I don't know if you have got a chance to wear your merino wool hat yet, but trust me, even though it is thin it IS warm. Anything made from merino wool is going to cost a bit more than regular wool no matter where it is made. I have some merino base layer stuff that is extremely thin, thats actually a big plus. half the bulk nearly twice the warmth. it stinks that there in not enough material for you. personally I don't like allot of extra material rolled up around my head, but thats just me. I think after wearing it in the cold a few times you will WARM up to it ;D can't speak on the garage jacket as I don't have one.

14. myke

myke Loaded Pockets

As far as the wool hats go...I think I just have a large head. I don't own any fitted hats or anything but I wear a large bicycle helmet.

They actually work OK for under the bike helmet because they are so thin. It's another story when you are trying to ride in New England winter though. Usually loose the helmet and wear several hats.

I just think the whole marketing is odd. If I am buying a army style"watch" cap I expect absurd amounts of extra material to flip over and keep my ears warm.

Now if only I could find another larger merino wool hat because they are very soft and feel great otherwise.

Not one size fits all is the lesson I learned.

15. Valerian

Valerian Tea-powered admin

Regarding merino Praetorian:
    I don't have one, so can't speak for the fit of this particular model, but I have a number of merino wool items, and merino in general is more likely to stretch a bit and get looser after some wear. If it's a little snug at first, it will probably fit great after a few days.

Of course, if you mess up and wash wool in 60oC, you'll end up with action-figure-sized clothes...

16. illusion

illusion Loaded Pockets

Just a little warning to all of you, who is not on USN forum. The Tadgear site have been "hacked", here is some info copied from their site..

This notice is to inform our customers of a security incident at TAD Gear. We recently learned that our database was illegally accessed from an external source, and it appears that some customer data were taken, which may include customer names, contact information and credit card data. The possibility of a security breach came to our attention when certain customers notified us that unauthorized charges had appeared on their credit cards. Upon learning of the potential breach of security, TAD Gear immediately initiated an investigation, and took corrective steps based on the advice of an internet security firm. We have also contacted law enforcement.

If you purchased merchandise from TAD Gear on-line between August 6, 2009 and November 16, 2009, and the credit card used to purchase that merchandise is still valid, in order to protect yourself from the possibility of identity theft or misuse of your credit card information, we recommend that you immediately contact the issuer of that credit card and close your account. Tell them that your account may have been compromised. If you want to open a new account, ask your credit card issuer to give you a PIN or password, as this will help control access to the account.

In addition, we recommend that you place a fraud alert on your credit files. A fraud alert lets creditors know to contact you before opening new accounts. Just call any one of the three credit reporting agencies at a number below. This will let you automatically place fraud alerts with all of the agencies. You will then receive letters from all of them, with instructions on how to get a free copy of your credit report from each.

Experian
    888-397-3742 Equifax
    866-640-2273 TransUnion
    877-701-5276
    www.experian.com www.equifax.com www.transunion.com

When you receive your credit reports, look them over carefully. Look for accounts you did not open. Look for inquiries from creditors that you did not initiate. And look for personal information, such as your home address and Social Security number, which is not accurate. If you see anything you do not understand, call the credit reporting agency at the telephone number on the report.

If you do find suspicious activity on your credit reports, call your local police or sheriff’s office and file a police report of identity theft. Get a copy of the police report. You may need to give copies of the police report to creditors to clear up your records. Even if you do not find any signs of fraud on your reports, we recommend that you check your credit report every three months for the next year. Just call one of the numbers above to order your reports and keep the fraud alert in place.

For more information on identity theft, we suggest that you visit the web site of the California Office of Privacy Protection at www.privacy.ca.gov, or the Federal Trade Commission at www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/microsites/idtheft. If there is anything TAD Gear can do to assist you, please email us at action@tadgear.com, a special email address that we have set up to help answer your questions.

On a going-forward basis, in order to help assure the security of your information, all users will be required to recreate their usernames and change passwords upon logging onto our newly redesigned, TAD Gear website. Please note that the password change process is only initiated when you come to the TAD Gear website and as a result an email is sent to you. Do not respond to any other unsolicited emails regarding password changes from TAD Gear. TAD Gear will not contact you by email regarding a password change unless you initiate such a change on the TAD Gear website in accordance with the instructions above.

We are sorry for any inconvenience that this might have caused you. We take the protection of our customers' personal information very seriously. TAD Gear is making additional, significant investments in enhancing the safety and security features on our website so that you may feel confident using it. While no company can completely prevent unauthorized access to data, we are committed to ensuring that our data is protected by the highest levels of security.

If you have any questions or need further information regarding this incident, please do not hesitate to contact us.

17. Nomadtv

Nomadtv Empty Pockets

Thanks for the heads up... I actually closed my account yesterday as my card was used to buy a few Kakistani calling cards. Luckily chase noticed it and called me right away (scary but glad it worked).

Did it come from the TAD incident or from Taco bell... dunno.

One things for sure...Our wonderful Super safe, just in time, lets track everything and do it all faster...seems only to have created more varied and diverse opportunities for fraud.

Sucks.

18. WoodMotorsports

WoodMotorsports Loaded Pockets

They got me for a few small charges, but luckily I was using my PayPal debit card with a small balance. Also, to their credit, PayPal noticed it quickly and contacted me. I sent an email to TAD since I knew that was the only place the info could have gotten out, then the next day they posted the above statement.

19. leeenricoso

leeenricoso Loaded Pockets

Did you made your oder over the phone or thru the site? The reason I asked is TAD is not anymore supporting payment thru paypal when you order from the site. I prefer to pay thru paypal rather than use my CC when ordering from TAD.

20. illusion

illusion Loaded Pockets

I think you can still do Paypal with Tad, just havent fixed the new site to work with paypal.. I did read somewhere on USN that you could do CC checkout and just fill in all the numbers with 11111.. and then put your paypal info in the comment box...