1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

AK Adventurers' adventure gear progression

Discussion in 'Show us pics of your EDC!' started by AK Adventurer, Aug 6, 2012.

1. AK Adventurer

AK Adventurer Ice, Ice, Tigre

Early, the first two weeks in April..

[​IMG]
    An adventure road trip and truck retrieval day, Monday, the 4th I think;

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    By far my most used gear that day (and many days!), my Knipex pliers wrench;
    [​IMG]
    Wednesday the 6th to a special church meeting;

[​IMG]
    From Thursday the 7th, for chores around the homestead;
    [​IMG]
    Thursday, to church again;
    [​IMG]
    Friday, the 8th to a special dinner out;
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    A work day that weekend, I dug out my model Cryo, for one hand opening convenience.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. AK Adventurer

These are from somewhere around the 10th of April through the 19th... (all of these are re posts from my Blog. :) )

Atving, hiking, bush bumming, and also round the homestead and town too, over several days.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Its very, very, VERY rare anymore for me to wear a gun when not in the woods.

But I get lax on carrying a gun in the woods in the winter with snowmobiling, since the bears are sleeping, and the moose/wolves etc tend to hear you coming and avoid you… And it’s too much trouble to carry in the back woods for 2 legged vermin; they’re few and far between out there.

So sometimes in the spring it takes me a little bit to transition back to remembering to take a gun.
    Little over a week ago I was out for a ATV ride, that took me through the edges of fairly remote wilderness that is just behind our ridge. Ridding along looking into the valley on one side of the trail, I caught movement in my periferal vision on the other side of the trail: a large mass of brown in motion…
    I naturally slowed down, and did a fast “about face” type look that way, but nothing was there, nor visible as far as I could see off the trail that way (quite a ways actually, but my experiences with game seeming to magically disappear into thin air; their ability to hide and blend in, tells me there still might have been something there).

First thought I had was “:censored:! I’m not wearing a gun!!” I should have been… large oversight on my part, especially considering I had planned to be in that area before leaving the house.. Whoops!
    No idea what the big brown movement I saw was. From its size and color, it could have easily been a moose or grizzly bear. Or it could have just been the edges of my periferal vision blurring the brush too… Only God knows.
    But at any rate, it was a good reminder for me to start going armed in the back country again.
    So anyway, every day out since, even just around the neighborhood or out in the back woods, I’ve worn my Beretta Stampede in .45Colt. It’s a little on the weaker side when it comes to brown bears/grizzlies, but I don’t carry or use this gun much, and I felt like doing so for a while… I figure 6 holes of Any caliber in anything I encounter is still a world better than No holes.. ;)

[​IMG]

After another one of those trips out mid week, I suddenly realized what else my carry was missing this week. When sylvanbowyer on Instagram liked(thanks!) the previous days edc post… All my woods time, atv or not, a trail to follow back out or not, I should have a compass on me! Thus, yesterday’s carry included my Trunord compass in the sweet case Slvanbowyer made for it. Even got used once when I was curious of my exact direction.

Also discovered one evening that the face of the Trunord is GITD (glow in the dark )

[​IMG]

3. AK Adventurer

Made me a new copper dog tag a couple weeks ago;

Not All Who Wander Are Lost. One of my favorite Tolkein quotes from the poem of Strider, in Lord Of The Rings.. I identify with the line and the concept, since I tend to ‘wander’ through life, with little pre planned or ‘normal’, direction. :cool:

[​IMG]

Am making a series of copper tags, to be available soon, elsewhere. This is the first, prototyping a “battle worn” finishing process… Like it had survived the battle of the five armies, or at least a few skirmishes with Orcs. ;)

I like it! Turned out good I think. Liked it so much, I decided to keep this first one.

It’s a somewhat long but fun process; cutting old water pipe to length, splitting, flattening, then cutting to size and smoothing edges, drilling. Then stamping, re flatening, texturing in various ways, and progressive levels, and repeats, inter mixed with chemical and heat coloring…

It’s fun and somewhat random, get to play around with what ya get, making each one unique.

4. AK Adventurer

As you can see, my carry doesn't really change much... A few of each item that I rotate through every few days, but its basically the same items over and over.. I've found what I need and what works, No real Need to change it any at all, other than I like to rotate through colors or styles for fun..

S_Serpent and MTFatboy like this.
  5. AK Adventurer

21st or 22nd.. A light carry day, but it was actually a really active day… Got by just fine too. Although, not having a dedicated knife wad a bit of a pain, I kept forgetting that the multi has a blade and going looking for a blade in the shop, truck etc… :banghead: ;

I just literaly Never use the multi blade, so I forget it’s there.

[​IMG]

Church cleanup and yard construction day, the 23rd;

[​IMG]

Was wearing my new tag that day;

[​IMG]

And the 24th, Sunday Church/hanging out in town carry.

[​IMG]

6. AK Adventurer

This isn't exactly EDC, but it should be of interest, since last Decembers secret santa is where I got what I used. :cool:

I needed a more permanent fix for a ATV ignition switch nut that I ruined while removing it for a recent wiring project(it was seized in place, had to Dremel notch it and cut/pry it off-- My temporary fix was MacGyver, and redneck too, a chunk of the old nut, and a trippled up rubber band around it... Ugly but worked ).

Anyway, my more permanent fix is Sugru!

For those that don’t know, Sugru is a moldable glue… Think a cross between super glue and silly putty. Or like a really thick moldable silicone RTV/gasket maker.

It’s a silicone putty or dough that comes in a packet, form it however you need and in 24 hours it cures to become a rubber. Sticks to almost anything, waterproof, electrically insulated, good to 265°F and -45°F, holds a fair amount of weight, and comes in about 15 colors! (And I just found out you can mix it to blend infinite colors- wish I’d known that before I did this fix, I could have matched the green fenders closer!)

[​IMG]

Someone(I'm sorry, I've forgotten who, and can't find it again on the forum! :help::cry::oops:) here got me one of their home hacks starter kits for the secret santa gift exchange this last December. A great idea to get me, since I tend to improvise and MacGyver things a lot…

But amazingly, it’s taken me this long to find a use for it! (The stuff takes 24 hours to set up, and I either need a Now fix, or If I have 24 hours, I can use a stronger, more traditional adhesive.. ) But this time, a more traditional adhesive wouldn’t have held/set fast enough, nor would the automotive standard, RTV silicone gasket maker. And super glue wouldn’t have been strong enough…

As I said, a perfect place for Sugru, and I even had green to (almost) match the fenders! Used a whole pouch, to get a good “bead” diameter on it, for hold and a smooth look.

My theory is since it’s rubber, to take it off the next time, I can run a razor blade between the Sugru and the fender. Then make a cut, say 1/8″ wide out of the ring, and peel it off the switch.. Then to reapply it, simple place it on the switch (it will have the threads molded into the inner curve for hold) and re sugru the gap I cut out, back together.

Even if its really stuck to the switch (it probably is!) And I have to cut it away from it, I’ll still have a rubber ring that can be reapplied with silicone RTV, or more Sugru. :cool:

I will have to re label the off/on, since the wiring tension on the switch meant it wouldn’t stay rotated(and actually wouldn’t let it turn completely to there anyway)to the right place. But that’s a simple fix, if I can find our label maker… If not, I’ll make a stencil and air brush it on; still simple. :)

Anyway, Thanks Again DEERLORD ! This stuff is great!!

Last edited by AK Adventurer, May 11, 2016
  7. AK Adventurer

Got a new cutter! Thanks to the 10 year anniversary giveaway, and xbanker s generosity, I now have this fantastic this Bill Akers backwoods custom! :D

[​IMG]

No idea what the steel is (do you know xbanker ?), but the wood looks like stabilized boxelder burl. Gorgeous!!

[​IMG]

Ive been making knives off and on for about 12 years, and in that time I’ve held and owned some great pieces by some great makers… And I gotta say, this guy does some fiiinnnnee work!

This knife ranks up there pretty high in what I’ve seen for overall fit, finish, and design!

I think it’s gonna upstage the one I was making myself for woods and hunting carry this year!

Ive had it almost a week, been wearing it for a few days. At first I wasn’t too fond of the bulk on this sheath, the way it’s made in two pieces, thick and wide for the screws.

But now I’m glad it’s made the way it is!

As it came, with the loop at the top most position, it stuck down pretty far when sitting, and jammed in my truck seat(among other chairs/seats), twisting my belt/side. I moved it up a notch, so it doesn’t stick down as far.

[​IMG]

Got me a great balance, less binding on the bottom end, almost none in fact, but didn’t raise the handle far enough to jab/poke at my side like most high ride handles tend to. Bonus is with the handle exposed further above the belt loop, it’s easier to draw. Wins all around. :)

8. AK Adventurer

Shanell at Heart Hanks had a great idea; denim backing!

[​IMG]

I had this idea over two years ago when I was going to make my own hanks, but never got around to doing it. Denim is extremely durable, pretty absorbent, and still looks good worn and stained; perfect for the greasy, grimey work I tend to do a lot of.

Thus, I jumped on this one when she posted it. Blue denim back, with a simple, down to earth plaid from that just screams “working man”.

And, here it is with its brothers;
    [​IMG]

I’ve delegated different ones to different carry times since the beginning, which lead to needing others… self enabling is great lol :cool:

Had the purple paisley for dressy carry, and the leaves for everyday.
    But then didn’t want to get grease etc from working on it, so I got the dark one(always want to call it vampire because of the dark grey pattern with the shaded blood red back) cause grease stains etc wouldn’t show on it…

But it’s so dang classy, it’s become my dressy day carry, and the purple for everyday…
    BUT, again, I still don’t want to dark stain that one and the leaves one…
    SO, now with the plaid and denim, it’s for work days since denim wears stains so well, the purple and leaves for general edc, and the vampire for dressy days.

Should be golden for a while… Practically anyway… Any fancy or cool patterns she uses though, and all bets are off! ;)

9. AK Adventurer

A couple recent carrys;

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Isla TX, ran23, S_Serpent and 4 others like this.
  10. Airborne 1

Airborne 1 Loaded Pockets

Your a lucky so and so...I was wishing for that knife !

Where is Two Rivers ? I spent a few years up there !

2 Panther

MTFatboy likes this.
  11. xbanker
    • Administrator

xbanker Geriatric Admin
    Staff Member

Pretty sure it's 1095. That, and Damascus, all I've ever known him to use. Think you're right about Boxelder. A favorite of his. Despite the sheath's bulk, happy to see you were able to make it work.

Delighted you won the knife. It's found a good home where will see use as intended. :)

AK Adventurer, MTFatboy and Nick4305 like this.
  12. AK Adventurer

Hey, long time no see right?

Been Super busy with a new job the last three weeks, no online time at all..

Recently;

Had to work Memorial day;

[​IMG]

Memorial day after work;

[​IMG]

Other edcs lately

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

At work;

[​IMG]

Lots of painting at work, most of my gear has at least one spatter or smear on it...

[​IMG]

Got a few new items, including this solar battery backup a buddy got me for my birthday. Works good... actually takes a slow charge off of solar, in a day in the sun it came up 2 out of 5 bars... but no further. But at least the solar does help noticeable, would actually make plugged in charge faster. Unlike the one I got last year that never added any on solar in a week..

[​IMG]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

13. Nick4305
    • In Omnia Paratus

Nick4305 EDC Junkie!!!!!

Congrats for your new job, man !

AK Adventurer likes this.
  14. ran23
    • In Omnia Paratus

ran23 Loaded Pockets

How's Alaska these days??