1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

AK Adventurers' adventure gear progression

Discussion in 'Show us pics of your EDC!' started by AK Adventurer, Aug 6, 2012.

1. AK Adventurer

AK Adventurer Ice, Ice, Tigre

Got me some small king salmon!
    Biggest one shown here is about a foot long. My buddy caught it, my third was a little shorter like the bigger of the other two, but they got mixed up in the cooler at the lake, and when I was sorting them, he urged me to take a bigger one home instead… I didn't argue much ;)

[​IMG]

Also, the knives I used, a Queen bonestag and D2 toothpick, and my CV Case Sodbuster. The queen I dedicated to my fishing kit last year, since it resembles a folding fillet knife, so it wasn't really pocket carry, but if I'm fishing its there... But it wasn't as sharp as I thought it was, and other than cutting gills to bleed the fish out at the lake, it didn't get much use... it took the head and tale off of one, but was too dull to slit the bellie for cleaning. Good thing I'd taken the sodbuster! It once again went through them like they had greased zippers in them! :bundle-of-joy_throwvertical:

[​IMG]

Will sharpen the Queen before the next trip and try it again.

2. BarneyG

BarneyG Loaded Pockets

Interesting ... On one hand it surprises me, personally I don't really look at cost or brand I look for quality and function. But on the other hand I can well believe it ... there is something of a 'status' in having hand made custom things that are expensive ... sometimes Humanity really saddens me :(

I'm so on board with this ... but think about that Hank if you didn't have the tools ... in the UK a decent basic sewing machine is about a hundred quid (about $150 and yes you can get cheeper but buy cheep buy twice as they say) which is quite an investment - then again on this board people are paying multiple hundreds of dollars for a boxcutter :) I've been making my own for exactly the same reasons you give (they are definitely not as well done as the one's I've seen on here but I'm happy enough with them), and so far it takes me about an hour which if I was working would earn me about $25 after taxes etc so for people to be charging $20 for them including materials seems reasonable enough to me ... ok they are probably taking much less time than that but they have to pay the taxes on that income too.

eng1nerd, AK Adventurer and MTFatboy like this.
  3. AK Adventurer

New little project from a couple days ago. :cool:

Couple years ago I did this project with a brass Zippo case, making a vesta out of it(a Vesta is a old fashioned match case/match safe). Works good too, if I do say so myself. Lately, I'd been going through some gear, and was loking at this gorgeous silver(real Silver, or at least Silver plated) lighter that my mother gave me a few years ago.

I always loved this lighter, its one I remember her having as long as I could remember, and she said she got it from a boyfriend she had once.. Since she met and married my dad in the early 60s, this lighter is older than that, and that makes this a pretty long lived lighter.

Its not a Zippo, and actually its not marked at all, in any way… Who knows, it could even be a one off, hand made item..(although I doubt it, since there is a guy on the forums that has one just about identical to it, but I don't know how old his is.) Its a bit wider than a Slim Zippo; a Zippo insert doesn't fit tightly.

Anyway, I love it but since the butane inserts for slim lighters are so hard to get stateside, and I don't use a lighter often enough to justify wasting money on liquid lighter fluid that evaporates in a short time, I've not used it. It was on the shelf with the brass converted Vesta, and I'd been looking at vintage, and older styles of gear, and it clicked; Make a match safe out of it too! It even has the look of a Vesta, since a Lot of those were tall, slim and done in fancy silver, with carving and scroll work.

Its a simple mod, the same way I did the brass one, just cut the bottom off on a Zippo insert, invert, and epoxy into the case at the right height to clear the lid closing, but high enough to give good friction fit to hold the lid shut.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. AK Adventurer

5. AK Adventurer

Got me a Case Friction folder a couple days ago!
    No, Case has never made one… As far as I know anyway.

So, if Case never made one, how did I get one? Well, I'll tell ya. :D

Here a few weeks back MTFatboy sent me some knives, one he wanted me to have, and some others he called junk, for parts. Its one of those junkers, which I have taken apart and tried to save.

As I got it;
    [​IMG]

Details on its arrival, and evalualtion are earlier in the thread, but basically, it was made in 1970. For 46 years old its pretty rough, its sure had a hard life! Basically the problem was;
    And also the secondary blade was broken off, about 1/4” frm the tang, too short to do anything with, and too short to even re-grind into anything.

So, I took it apart, this is done with a hammer and a razer blade, to sheer the pins, and just the pivot pins this time, not the center pin, for one main reason; to not have to re-fit a new pin into the already cracked and fragile bone. I figured I could tweak the spring if I needed to with it in the frame halves, and do any assembly/disassembly easier this way.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now, the first thing to do, was re seat and peen one of the handle scale pins, that was protruding into the inside of the knife frame liners/blade area. I drove it back and peened on the inside, the peened the outside to the bone.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next, was to figure out what was wrong with the blade action, for the main blade. That was easy;

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The tang has worn a offset into itself, and a matching dimple in the spring..
    How? I can't be sure, but my guess is that the knife was spring sideways at some point, giving it some play… Then, because of the back blade being thinner, and having a spacer next to it, the frame being spread and twisted, there would be a gap along the spring on one side at that blades end… repeated opening and closing, would gaul the blade and spring and grind/wear it down.. The further it went, the more of the thin side of the tang would wedge on the Side of the spring, and continue to hold the sprung frame..

Now, technically the blade tang should be the harder steel, and it should eat the spring first… ANd that much wear would take YEARS to do.. So applicable it makes no sense, but then I do have the parts, and thats the only explaination I can think of..

Anyway, I re-ground the tang to the smaller radius, re installed. I also found the spring to be pretty much identical from end to end, except for the gauling. So I swapped the blades in the ends of the knife frame, to give the main blade the fresh spring end.

I then made new pins, for reassembly, and fitting. But they're being an odd size meant custom turning them. The 3/32” stock was smaller than my lathe would grip, so I improvised, colleted them in my Craftsman flex shaft on the Dremel, and run the opposite direction as the sander, ran them against the running sander. Test fit to the knife every so far, till they were perfect;

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I then decided the small blade was a lost cause, but needing it installed to provide spring tension, I simple permanently re-installed it, and its spacer for thickness, pinned it Tight, and ground it to match the end of the knife frame.

Re pinned;

[​IMG]

And ground to fit;

[​IMG]

Then, for a while… Not sure but an hour at least, I did un numbered dissassembly and reassembly, while tweaking the spring, trying to get some tension and blade action/walk and talk. I did gain some, but not much, It now has a little tension open, and some closed… Not much though.

I ended up moving that end of the spring almost an 1/8” inward in the frame… Any further, and it would have passed the pivot hole, making blade and spring instalation impossible..

See, the spring has tension against the knife tang, and has to be compressed to install the blade, but because of where the metal is now gone from the End of the tang, there is nothing to cam the spring out when opening or closing… so thus there is no Added tension, and no spring action let off of that tension; the normal snap open and closed.

The metal needed, for the geometry needed just isn't there, no matter how tight I get the spring to the pivot area/top run and bottom kick of the blade. It would need metal added to the End of the tang, to then be fit to the tension.

I COULD weld up the tang, and re fit it, and re heat treat the blade… But thats a LOT of work, that this knife simply isn't worth doing for, for me right now, anyway.

At that point, with what tension I had, I went ahead and cleaned it, and reassembled the main blade end. Now, with moving the spring in so far, I now had a recess on the back of the knife, down into between the liners, to the spring. Easy fix, I simply ground the back of the frame down to meet the spring, and re profiled/rounded the handle edges, and bolster end.

The blade ended up sitting great in the frame when closed, tip Just below the liner edges… It was OK, but if the blade being only friction fit, ever crept up a hair, it could be dangerous. SO I re ground the tip from a clip point to a drop point. Took that oppertunity to resharpen it at the sander too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now, in re fitting somewhere along the line, I broke out the cracked piece around that pin I re-set to start. So last, I re fit the piece I was lucky enough to not lose at the time, fit it into the hole, and glued the heck out of it.. Its not going anywhere, and actually blended quite well.

[​IMG]

Unforyunetally though, the piece from around the center pin, when it came out I didn't realize it till I crossed the shop to the bench again, and couldn't find it after.

I THINK I can fill it in later, with some scraps of other bone I have, and a little dye to match it.. I THINK. I'll have to be in a really good, and darring mood to try it though..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Anyway, it leaves me with a slim, almost gunstock shaped, single bladed friction folding knife. It has enough friction to stay shut in your pocket, and open for use, and like any friction folder, with care and proper use as a knife, it will be perfectly fine.

I sorta lost, sorta won this one, since I didn't get the function I set out for, but Did improve it, and gained a working knife… Overall I'm happy though, it was fun and challenging, and I learned some things too. Dissassembly/assembly practice never hurts either! ;)

I Still haven't fixed my buffer, but when I do(soon!) I'll polish out the back spring to an even color, and finish blending the bolsters, clean up the blade a little.

But as for now, I'm simply gonna start pocketing and using it! :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. MTFatboy
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

MTFatboy Loaded Pockets

Nicely done! I never thought that knife would be useful again.

7. Soulriot
    • Administrator
    • In Omnia Paratus

Soulriot EDCF Rule Enforcer
    Staff Member

AK Adventurer and MTFatboy like this.
  8. AK Adventurer

Wanted to give y'all an update on why I have been in and out kinda sporadically online here for a few weeks... One, the head cold I have, feeling blah half the time, i just really don't feel like posting...
    :)
    On the other hand, when I have been feeling good, I've been taking advantage of the weather we've been having for about 3.5 weeks; An average of about 30F... For two weeks it wasn't below about 28F... Average was like 35F. Ive seen 3 or 4 day runs with 40F all day! I've seen an official 42F, and where I was, I swear it was over 50F (in the sun) that day! All in mid to late Feruary in interior Alaska. UNREAL!! ;)

(serriously, warmest winter on record since they started counting in 1909... Also the driest on record, with IIRC 52.5" of snow fall since first snow, and within their official meteorlogical(sp?) winter from Dec 1st to march something, only 2.5" of that fell... The 50" is over 3 months old.. ) Amazing (And super epically ironic)considering that for Nov we had a record HIGH snow fall! )

So, yeah, between my new addiction to ice fishing, the perfect spring ATVing weather, various shop projects, and the fact that in spite of the lingering head cold I feel better than I have for 6+ months... I've either been too tired to be sociable, or too active and gone to be on the 'net. :):cool:

johnny five and Nick4305 like this.
  9. AK Adventurer

And, on the note of having been gone and busy, its about time for some catch up posts. :) :)
    Just some highlights from the last couple weeks; Didn't take pics everyday, and some days I didn't really EDC, since I never left the house.

A Saturday, Feb, the 20th.

[​IMG]

A rare carry for me, a lockback, this one a swing guard minus the guard, made byQueen, in D2 steeland Cocobolohandles. SMOOOOOOTHEST lockback I have ever handled, blade is solid,but swings SO free…

[​IMG]

That Sunday;

[​IMG]

You notice no knife? I had my old faithful friend, my Case Circle C bluesgreass bone Peanut on me all day… ANd since I was wearing dress slacks, with shallow pockets, it got lost down a friends couch. Where it resided till late on Wed, the 24th, when I was able tostop by anddig around for it(he looed twice but couldn't find it, I looked everywhere else I could look that I could have lost it that day, and finally went and dug around in his couch myself.)

Ever notice whenever you lose something, its not a new item with no miles on it, but an old friend, with a lot of sentimental vallue and memories attached… Heh. ;)

10. AK Adventurer

So, that Wed th 24th;

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And late that night, I added in a Peanut;

[​IMG]

So after finding the green one that night, I ended up having two 'nuts and the humpback on me at once… Slightly over knifed…

[​IMG]

Something else I've lost lately(again!) is my 2nd Bandicoot 2.5 :( Still hoping it turns up… In the mean time, the one I flame anodiaed is getting a Lot of use!

[​IMG]

11. AK Adventurer

The next Sunday, the 28th.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Church, and then ice fishing all afternoon. Also a rarity for me anymore, dual Field Notes. One, the yellow is my church notes bookm usual for Sundays. The other usually stays home, my Adventure planning book; Had a meeting at chuch about an upcomming 4 day raft trip in June… took it for notes there. :)

12. AK Adventurer

13. AK Adventurer

From Thursday this week, a day out and about running errands in town. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. AK Adventurer

Wow. Haven't been on here much lately... Been longer than I thought it had! Life has been busy and changing, I just haven't had much interest in forums or posting stuff...

Got a new item this week, another hank!
    Couldn’t pass this one up when Heart Hanks posted the materials before making them, I just had to call dibs on one in this combo. Classy and subdued gunmetal on black paisley front, with a colorful but still not flashy deep mottled red backing.

Gives me something fancy, but quieter for dressier carry days. :cool:

[​IMG]

Last edited by AK Adventurer, Apr 9, 2016
    powerring likes this.
  15. AK Adventurer

I can't get the image to post... Apparently wordpress is no longer on the approved list, since it keeps giving me that error. ? :/

16. Soulriot
    • Administrator
    • In Omnia Paratus

Soulriot EDCF Rule Enforcer
    Staff Member

Fixed it for you.

xbanker and AK Adventurer like this.
  17. AK Adventurer

Man, has it really almost been a month? Yikes!

Some catch up pocket dumps are in order I see!
    Stay tuned.. ;)

Soulriot likes this.
  18. AK Adventurer

Man, has it really almost been a month? Yikes!

Some catch up pocket dumps are in order I see!
    Stay tuned.. ;)

19. AK Adventurer

4/28/16
    EDC pocket dump from around town running errands. (Mostly buying hardware for the next step in ATV winch installation. )

[​IMG]

And this was Thursdays’, 4/29/16, carry a day I spent wiring a winch onto my ATV ☺;

[​IMG]

And, the item that got the most use all day; Eagletac Ti lights Rock! Anyway, this one does! Thanks again FACE ! ☺

The Case mini trapper and the Victorinox Spirit got a lot of use too, but not near what the flashlight did!

Honestly, I think out of all my standard items, a flashlight gets the most use, and the only true Every day use.

MTFatboy likes this.
  20. AK Adventurer

[​IMG]

Never ceases to amaze me how versatile this custom buckaroo style pocket knife sheath is!

The style usually only holds a folding knife, and it suspends it in you pocket, a design developed and used by Southwest working cowboys in the early half of the last century.

This one was custom made for me to carry a Case split back whittler, and a custom pen I’d made, by a great craftsman by the name of Karel Koci, from the CZ republic (IIRC, it’s been a while).

A wonderful, generous, kind man, a pastor, a knife maker, leather worker, and craftsman of the highest degree… I have unfortunately lost touch with him, the forums we were both on having disappeared from the Web several years ago..

Even having been made for a couple specific items, it always fits 90% of the knives I want to carry in it, not only holding them, but securely too! Love it!

MTFatboy likes this.