1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Air Travel with EDC and Preparedness Items

Discussion in 'Travel' started by ArkansasFan30, Feb 20, 2018.

1. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

Guess I've been lucky. I get my prescriptions dispensed in 90 day quantities. No way I'd carry the entire batches with me! I use those pill carriers that are set up in weekly 'bins' so each day's pills are there. I've never had an issue. But then I don't set foot in Europe. Period. Maybe I'll have to figure out a way to photocopy the pill bottle/vial labels...or speak to my pharmacist to print me separate labels without quantities on them for travel if I ever travel overseas again...

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

2. garza

garza Loaded Pockets

Immodium is a liquid gel capsule but labeled OTC products in small quantities should not be an issue.

Moshe ben David likes this.
  3. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

I guess I've never seen the liqui-gel Immodium. I thought it came in dry pills.

T Shrapnel-Carruthers likes this.
  4. Trevor98

Trevor98 Empty Pockets

Watch out with the flashlight- a couple of years ago the tsa guy checking my bag wanted to make sure my light worked. He took about 300 lumens to his face and was a little grumpy checking the rest of my bag.

I now put them in low mode when packing.

5. _mg_

_mg_ Loaded Pockets

I hadn't heard of the Cav Arms TQ before, so I did some research. Came across this and thought it might be of interest.

http://shortbarrelshepherd.com/tourniquet-lessons-learned/

Mistah_Kurtz likes this.
  6. T Shrapnel-Carruthers

T Shrapnel-Carruthers Loaded Pockets

Never had a problem with prescription tablets in Europe.

7. thegrouch314

thegrouch314 Loaded Pockets

I guess it depends where you are, what sort of meds and if they're hand luggage.

I'm in the UK and I had no problem with anti-depressants in the hold but trying to take morphine through hand luggage takes at least half an hour in security and drug testing.

8. Moshe ben David

If the morphine was labelled as such or if it was in ampules or vials usually associated with syringes I think I can understand why it attracted attention. But if it was just unlabelled tablets together with other tablets? Not sure why it attracted attention. Oh wait a second. Does airport security in UK use any sort of sniffers, either machine or canine? Could be another way the morphine attracted attention... Even just a residue from handling on your hands or on the outside of a container....

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

9. thegrouch314

thegrouch314 Loaded Pockets

by law, I have to declare any controlled substances, which morphine is.

10. Moshe ben David

Well, there you go!

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

11. garza

garza Loaded Pockets

When traveling to Japan, you need to declare your medications and some require exemption forms. Products containing Pseudoephedrine are banned. Adderall is not allowed if taken for ADHD. You can be arrested for not declaring either product.

International travel adds another level to the scrutiny.

12. T Shrapnel-Carruthers

T Shrapnel-Carruthers Loaded Pockets

So far this year I have flown from Gatwick, Amsterdam, Prague, Budapest, and Copenhagen without the security goons showing any interest in the variety of prescription and OTC tablets in my carry-on bag.

13. Onepoint

Onepoint Loaded Pockets

The FAA published maximum size for batteries. You can be hassled!

RavPower Blog has a decent post in the topic:

http://blog.ravpower.com/2017/04/flying-planes-power-banks/

Excerpts:

“First, power banks, which use lithium-ion batteries, need to be stored in _carry-on baggage_ only. Second, power banks over a certain size cannot be brought onto flights at all.”

“The restrictions as per the Federal Aviation Administration are for lithium-ion batteries rated above “100 watt hours (Wh) per battery”. Anything above that limit is restricted. While that limit allows most power banks to be brought on flights, there are still consumer power banks that exceed that limit. Thankfully with prior approval from an airline, power banks rated 100.1-160 watt hours can be taken onboard.”

Watt Hours = Battery’s Rated mAh/1000 x Volts

The above link gives examples.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DSRacing likes this.
  14. DSRacing

DSRacing Loaded Pockets

Good information on that blog,

So my RavPower 26800 m/Ah powerbank is rated just below the FAA threshold at 99.16 Wh.
    Ultimately, during my last rip, no one from the TSA even took the time to look at the two powerbanks I had with me and I did remove them from my carry-on per their request. Also, once on the plane each seat back had USB ports installed so I never needed my powerbanks while we were in the air.

15. Onepoint

Onepoint Loaded Pockets

Where did the TSA have you do with the power packs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. DSRacing

DSRacing Loaded Pockets

On our flight to our destination they asked for all items larger than a cell phone be removed from our carry-on put into the plastic bins. They paid no attention to the powerbanks or any other electronics but the sealed 1/2 lb bag of coffee I brought with me was promptly swabbed and tested for explosives.

On our trip back home, I started to remove items from my backpack (sans coffee) and the TSA agent instructed me to put everything back inside and run it all through the x-ray machine.

17. speedy

speedy Loaded Pockets

Mail it or leave it at home.

18. Small Shiny Objects

Small Shiny Objects Loaded Pockets

It is proper to bring the prescription bottles with you. The best way to do that is to take all the excess pills you don't need for your trip out of the prescription bottles and leave those at home in a zip lock or something.

Then when you return from your trip you just dump your medication back in the bottles.

19. garza

garza Loaded Pockets

I use the just emptied bottle for storage while taking the current bottle on the trip. Zip lock bags may not be the best for storage of certain types of medications.

Fortunately, my only medication is a small tablet which is not necessary for me to take everyday even though it is prescribed as daily.

20. SOS24
    • +1 Supporter

SOS24 Loaded Pockets

You may have problems with a ferro rod. I have had a spark wheel confiscated, because TSA agent told me not just lighters but any fire starting tools was prohibited. Lock pick sets.

The lock pick set should be ok as long as it is legal where you are leaving from/flying to and less than 7in, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it caused questioning or was taken based on agent discretion.

As others have said prescription medicines are supposed to be kept in their original containers, although I have only been questioned once and was allowed to pass when I showed a copy of the prescription. The last time I flew, I actually got the pharmacy to print out an extra label that was stuck onto a 3X5 ziploc bag and carried my medicine that way.