1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Air Travel Hack

Discussion in 'Travel' started by DCBman, Apr 19, 2017.

1. DCBman

DCBman Loaded Pockets

Anymore there are all manner of products available to carry liquids (of various types) when traveling. Much of this niche market is brought on by the TSA and other regulatory agencies who limit the quantities of liquid you can travel with. And frankly, the same problem has existed for ages with any sized liquid vessel. The issue is that of LEAKS. How many times have you gotten to your destination only to find the inside of your toiletries bag or suitcase covered in goo from a leaking shampoo bottle or the like?

Many of the new niche' products noted above come in small silicone squeeze bottles that you transfer your hair and skincare products into for later use. And, many of them profess to be "no leak", but let's face it...none of them truly are "no leak".

The problem isn't due to something squeezing the goo out of the bottle (well, it is, but for a different reason), but rather one of differential air pressures. Aircraft cabins are pressurized to about 8,000 feet above mean sea level, As the aircraft climbs to altitude the relative air pressure inside the cabin drops (to the 8,000 foot level) creating a vacuum of sorts inside a container. If there are any air leaks in the container it will draw in air/volume to equalize the pressure with the surrounding air. Liquids inside the container will displace to the larger volume inside. When the aircraft descends back down below 8,000 feet the outside air pressure increases, squeezing the additional volume back out of the container again. Liquids which have displaced to the lower air pressure at altitude will now be squeezed out as the outside air pressure increases relative to the lower pressure inside the container. Unless a container is rigid and truly air-tight, virtually no container is "leak-proof" (for the reasons noted above) (sorry for the boring science here)

Here's a solution...

Just about every hair and skin care product has some type of a screw on lid. The lid may be a flip top also, but the flip top screws onto the main container. To prevent liquids and gels from leaking out, just take a small piece of cellophane plastic wrap (saran wrap, kitchen wrap, etc.) and place it over the top of the container. Then screw the lid of the container down over the top of the plastic wrap. Because the plastic is very thin it acts like a diaphragm of sorts, helping to moderate the changing outside air pressure. As the pressure decreases the plastic wrap is sucked into the bottle (but is held by the threads of the cap). As the pressure increases again on descent, the plastic wrap returns to it's relatively normal state at the destination. And guess what? Voila'...no leaks!

For a fraction of a cent you can cover every single one of your liquid/gel type containers and there's no need to buy some expensive allegedly "leak-proof" container. And this little trick is virtually 100% effective.

Hope this helps!

(from a haggard road-warrior who, for several years, probably spent more time in the air than on the ground)

2. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

@DCBman: Good idea. And for any doubters -- consider how many commercially packaged items you buy that you end up having to remove the outer cap and THEN proceed to remove some sort of inner seal and replace the cap prior to use?

The only thing I'd add is that to be on the safe side, I always have my bottles inside a gallon size zip close freezer bag just to be on the safe side. Never had a problem by doing this.

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

3. Outbound

Outbound Loaded Pockets

That works.

Or you could just spend $10 and buy Nalgene travel containers. Cheap, reusable, pretty much indestructible and they don't leak. I've been using them in my dopp kit for years, and they've been on more than a few flights. Never had so much as a drop leak out.

https://www.mec.ca/en/product/4005-479/Small-Travel-Kit

malraux72 likes this.
  4. echo63

echo63 Loaded Pockets

Bombproof !

I have had the little bottle with the blue lid, full of methanol, in the glove compartment of my car for a few years - no leaks !

(sits with lens cloths, for cleaning spare bulbs before installing)

Outbound likes this.
  5. steel_6

steel_6 Loaded Pockets

I've been living off of old hotel/resort bottles that are abundant over here from care packages. I like the idea of that Nalgene set. My only question is, which ones are "jars" and which are "bottles"? I see they say the jars aren't suggested for liquid storage.. I'm thinking they're the ones with the clear tops?

JP

Edit: Answered my own question - by reading the Q&A! The jars are the 2 with the clear caps.

Last edited by steel_6, May 3, 2017
    #5 steel_6, May 3, 2017
    Last edited: May 3, 2017
  6. Moshe ben David

And here I always considered bottles to be the one with small diameter openings but jars had large diameter openings...

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

7. malraux72

malraux72 Loaded Pockets

My travel dopp kit is a nalgene bottle.

FiaOlleDog and Outbound like this.
  8. garza

garza Loaded Pockets

The OP reminded me of my time with a freight company in college. Several divisions of Mars were a major client. The preferred freight route for Skittles from Texas was across New Mexico/Arizona and up the California coast without freezing the Skittles. If the product had shipped from Texas through Colorado to the Pacific Northwest, the Skittles were frozen because of the altitude and time to cross Colorado, If the inventory stock permitted, Mars preferred the southern freight route.

I would not recommend freezing any toiletries in the dopp kit since this will cause product separation.

9. ArkansasFan30

ArkansasFan30 Loaded Pockets

I hope it's a quart or less, lol.

Geez, I hate TSA and safety regulations.

10. malraux72

malraux72 Loaded Pockets

Yep. Crush proof. See trough .
    As long as I do not see them strip searching an old Irish grandmother ........ It is a bummer but they are doing their job and I have a positive attitude.....

11. ac7ss
    • In Omnia Paratus

ac7ss Loaded Pockets

Also, remove any trapped air in the container and it will help. I like the idea of putting all the items in a quart bottle. I travel with my Nagaline bottle with no troubles, I never thought of using an extra one to hold toiletries for flight.

12. Moshe ben David

I prefer gallon size zip lock freezer bags as a 'meta-container'. Put the smaller items inside one of these just in case of leaks. Virtually no weight added but effective and easy to pack. I usually keep an extra one in my carry-on; empty my pockets into it and then put that into my carry on. Always works and makes it easy for me to find my stuff in one fell swoop rather than searching through pockets in the carry on.

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

FiaOlleDog, kikaida and MCPOWoller like this.
  13. malraux72

malraux72 Loaded Pockets

Try it. You will love it, And it is leak proof.

14. thegrouch314

thegrouch314 Loaded Pockets

Instead of cling wrap which I've found tends to burst, use the fingers cut off nitrile gloves. Much more stretchy to cope with the negative pressure whilst in storage and the expansion in the air.

15. tbzbbt

tbzbbt Loaded Pockets

I fly a lot and never had this problem with any screw top containers....except sun oil flip cap bottles that always leak and are completely oblivious to the ambient pressure. Reusable Zip locks are great EDC in any case.

Tbzbbt

Moshe ben David likes this.
  16. FiaOlleDog

FiaOlleDog Loaded Pockets

Good advise. Will try next time I'm on a longer journey.

For short trips (up to ~3 days/nights) I use contact lens cases. Also only a few milli-liter fit inside, I've found this enough for stuff that is not provided by the hotel anyway (shower gel, shampoo).

And I switched from liquid/gel to solids like shaving cream soap stick, or toothpaste pills. Less waste (small empty bottles) and saving money as well (vs. those super-expensive silicon refillable bottles).