1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Air Travel Footwear

Discussion in 'EDC Clothing' started by JSmith88, May 23, 2012.

1. JSmith88

JSmith88 Loaded Pockets

Looking for a pair of non tactical boots or fashion forward boots easy to get on and off.

2. CatherineM
    • In Omnia Paratus

CatherineM Loaded Pockets

I saw a pair of slip on boots not long ago that looked nice. I think they were Blundstone. Rockadelic makes a Velcro boot.

3. DisrupTer911

DisrupTer911 Loaded Pockets

i wear my really worn in skate shoes, slip on and off easily with the laces staying tied.

thwippa likes this.
  4. JSmith88

JSmith88 Loaded Pockets

I can appreciate the ease of removal and comfort, but my vacations often require me to dress up and I only take the shoes I'm wearing.

5. Gryffin
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gryffin Loaded Pockets

Hate to break it to ya, but the TSA isn't particularly concerned about your comfort or convenience. No, really! ;)

I'm too old to wear sk8r shoes (no, really, there's a law about that!), but I do something similar with good ol' Reebok crosstrainers. On travel day, I tie 'em loosely enough to slip on and off; when I arrive, I just tighten up the laces.

I could probably do the same with my work/casual shoes, but haven't tried, and because there's not as much laced part, it wouldn't work as well.

6. surgicalcric

surgicalcric Empty Pockets

Sanuks is what I usually wear when flying but I take more than one pair of shoes with me...

http://www.sanuk.com/

7. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

I usually try to wear my heaviest pair of shoes or boots when flying. Before going through security, I step aside and remove them, put on painter booties, and put the shoes back on after going through security. Unless you're timing your trip through security tightly, it shouldn't be a big problem.

8. Blackheart

Blackheart Loaded Pockets

The cheapo slippers they give you at the hospital might be good for this, too. They're pretty compact (though maybe not a compact as the booties).

9. Gryffin
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gryffin Loaded Pockets

Here at least, TSA doesn't make it easy. Last time I flew outta Newark, each security line had just one small bench, sat three maybe, on the other side of the scanners. There was a frakkin' line just to sit and put your shoes back on. :nah_disagree:

I like the idea of the painter booties. Makes my feet itch just thinking of all those mooks stomping that carpet in their stinky, sweaty socks. :unsure:

10. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

I've encountered that before, as well. Since I do have my feet covered, I just walk to the first open area that I can and reassemble myself there.

11. Firepoint

Firepoint Loaded Pockets

I just play dumb and walk through with my shoes on. It never beeps and I'm too lazy to bend over.

12. CatfishTX

CatfishTX Loaded Pockets

I wear Clarks. The pair I have slips on. I can wear them with jeans, slacks, or with a casual suit if you are not too fashion forward. (and I am not) For the airport, no laces makes life easy.

13. dowtech

dowtech Loaded Pockets

I've been wearing LL Bean's men's leather Comfort Mocs for a couple of years now. The fit fairly tightly and have an agressive tread if I have to move fast, yet I can slip them off an on through security without much effort (and I'm an old guy). And they're not too expensive! They are usually all I take for a casual trip, and can be worn with jeans, cargo pants, or even semi-dressy clothes. (Not for tuxedos, though.)

14. TransportJockey

TransportJockey Loaded Pockets

5.11 makes a pair of station boots (or Company Boots as they call them) that are made for easy on/off. One of my partners at work wears them and she loves them. Generally though I wear my 8" Converse Tac boots or 5.11 ATACs, both with a side zip.

15. stax
    • In Omnia Paratus

stax Loaded Pockets

Blundstone boots are great for the airport.

[​IMG]

16. deeker

deeker Loaded Pockets

I have 2 pairs of Blundstones (#163 steel toed boots and the #494 Eh! boots, for those who are inquisitive). While they are comfortable and sturdy, I wouldn't say they are speedy to get on. I have to grab the pull tabs to tug them on. I have zero complaints when they are on my feet but if the OP is looking for convenience and speed to move through the airport, these may not be the ones to get.

I'm usually quick to recommend the Blunnies, but maybe not in this instance.

17. Narcosynthesis

Narcosynthesis Loaded Pockets

When I am going travelling shortly I will be needing a pair of hiking boots at the other end, so planned on wearing them through the airport - it makes sense to wear the bulkier footwear and pack the lighter/smaller trainers in my checked baggage than wearing the trainers and giving myself more issues packing.

As a bonus I quite like the idea of my boots for travel - laced up properly they are sturdy and good fitting, but also do duty as slip on shoes when needed (ie when you need to get out of your tent at 3am) - stuff the laces inside the boots and just stick your feet in. Mildly uncomfortable standing on the laces, but they stay on my feet fairly well and can allow me to walk through to the next appropriate area to stop and retie them, or indeed find the nearest appropriate bush from my tent.

Previously I have just worn whatever trainers I was wanting to have at the other end, and just wandered through from security to the next appropriate stopping point in my socks - while the floor may have had hundred of people walking about in the recent past, it isn't exactly stomping about in the woods. The socks were getting swapped for clean ones when I arrived anyway, and were going in the washing machine anyway...

18. shrap

shrap Loaded Pockets

I don't understand why easy on/off is important, it's not like you have anything better to do while standing in line. Unless you are arriving at the airport ten minutes before your plane takes off.

19. Gryffin
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gryffin Loaded Pockets

My local international airport is pretty big. Once you clear the scanners, it's not like your terminal is a few steps away, it's often a pretty long haul, so just leaving the shoes off isn't an option. And the only place to sit down and put your shoes on is the aforementioned teensy little bench that about a dozen people are all trying to use. I suppose if you're a twenty-something kid, you could just plop yourself onto the floor and wrangle your shoes, but I'm too old for that :censored:. And it's not like there are places in the corridor where you could cop a squat without getting trampled.

20. shrap

shrap Loaded Pockets

Are you physically unable to put your shoes on without sitting down? Not a snarky question.

EDIT: I mean, it just sort of weird to think about, go out, buy and carry a specific pair of shoes to avoid 30 seconds of unpleasantness.

Last edited by shrap, May 29, 2012