1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Air Rifles - Pellet Guns

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by JP, Jan 8, 2015.

1. JP

JP Loaded Pockets

Do any of you folks enjoy shooting Pellet Guns?

Right now I am using a .177 Stoeger X20.
    I'm new to shooting but I have been having fun with it. I'm also having fun with an older. 22 Crosman pump.

In the future I would like a newer .22 , either a springer or gas piston that can be had for a round $350.

Any pics or comments of what you have?

Here Comes The BOOM likes this.
  2. Tromba

Tromba Loaded Pockets

I have a pellet gun that I keep primarily for shooting varmits. I do not know the make or model. I do know it shoots about 1200 fps which was one of the selling points.

I do not shoot it for fun however.

3. batteur
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

batteur Loaded Pockets

trogdor likes this.
  4. JP

JP Loaded Pockets

Yeah, those EDGuns are really nice. I have been watching a pile of YouTube videos on airguns. There are some excellent shooters out there....both the user and the rifle!

5. cityofthesouth

cityofthesouth Loaded Pockets

I dunno, I got pretty meh about airguns over the past few years. I got a Gamo Varmint Hunter a long time ago when they had metal triggers, installed an aftermarket trigger, used the cannon hold or whatever it's called, that gun was just terrible. It wouldn't shoot any pellet well (pellets costing as much as .22LR no less) and after a few thousand pellets it developed what I guess is called barrel droop. I threw it in a closet after that. After all the work and all the fooling around with it, over several years I had just one successful English Sparrow massacre with it - that's just sad and it was only a dozen birds in a place where I should have killed twice that many per sitting. A little more research shows that PCPs are serious coin to get into and I'd rather just buy a firearm if that's the case. I tried several different CO2 pistols thinking that it would be a cheap way to do some action shooting - all of them but one broke and after taking them apart it's pretty obvious why. Since then I've given up on the idea of air guns. The Umarex PX4 Storm stayed together, but the problem with it is that the controls and magazine are nothing like an actual firearm so there is no training overlap.

6. JP

JP Loaded Pockets

Yes, my use will mainly be target in the backyard, pest control and small game hunting. I don't feel comfortable using the. 22lr in my yard but it is what I shoot with the most accuracy. Just a small little Lakefield...now Savage but it is fun

7. Shike

Shike Loaded Pockets

Sig arms .177 air rifle and Crossman pump pistol. Lots of fun to shoot.

8. Gilatabar
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gilatabar Loaded Pockets

Feinwerkbau 300s for shooting in my appartement. Really heavy barrel, and really pleasant to use. I used to have an Anschutz Match model 54 and it was amazing (the models used for benchrest) but sold it a year ago :(

Ben Rubinstein likes this.
  9. Froley

Froley Loaded Pockets

I have two pellet rifles both--.177
    I enjoy them very much---not only are they excellent for cheap practice but on the prepper side of things they
    are to me a must have in inventory...

Nighted likes this.
  10. baccar-3

baccar-3 Loaded Pockets

Daisy Model 93 CO2 BB Pistol.
    Holds 15, shoots in rapid sucession.
    Bought it for my son when he was 8 to teach him about weapons.
    Now it's mine and I really enjoy shooting it.

Last edited by Fan-Rang 173, Nov 6, 2015
  11. TWBryan

TWBryan Empty Pockets

I own a Weihrauch HW77 and an HW30S,both in .177. Both exhibit wonderful accuracy. The thing with air rifles is they are very pellet fussy,you have to get the right one for the air rifle to attain good accuracy. Of course there are many factors involved,but if you have a good rifle,with a good trigger,I would be looking at ammo as the next step. In general you want a lead pellet with a dome head,or round head. RWS Super domes are a good place to start,but not always the answer.My HW77 likes JSB Exacts and the HW30S likes H&N Field Target Trophies. Only way to tell is by trial and error.

The air rifles advertising 1000+ fps generally obtain those velocities using an alloy pellet,made of zinc or aluminum. In general these pellets provide terrible accuracy and medocre terminal ballistics. Stick with a lead dome head pellet, avoid gamo pellets I don't know of anyone who has shot them with good results.

graveyard and Shike like this.
  12. Wishoot

Wishoot Loaded Pockets

I have an ancient Crosman pump that shoots like the day it was made about 30 years ago. Crazy accurate even without a scope. It's a lot of fun when it's too cold to go outside. I set up targets in my basement and plink away.

Cheap fun.

graveyard likes this.
  13. de Vries
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

de Vries EDC Junkie!!!

14. de Vries
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

de Vries EDC Junkie!!!

15. grayman

grayman Loaded Pockets

I've got an RWS Panther 34 for yard varmints. I like some of the compressed gas air rifles out there, I'm just not sure about the convenience of the compressed gas system. I'd like a good air pistol, but I just don't know enough about them to make an educated decision as to which one.

16. Nighted
    • In Omnia Paratus

Nighted Loaded Pockets

I would suggest the Benjamin 392. Throw on a dot scope for fun! :)

17. Sinkhole

Sinkhole Loaded Pockets

I got a Crosman Nitro Venom .22 for Christmas. I am enjoying the heck out of shooting for sooo cheap.

18. reppans

reppans Loaded Pockets

Couple of RWS spring pistons: rifle .22, pistol .177 for pest control.

[​IMG]

19. Karmakanic

Karmakanic Loaded Pockets

Feinwerkbau 65, Daisy 747 pistols, Webley MKIII rifle.

Air weapons are great for practicing accurate shooting. Especially for pistol shooting. The pellet speed in the barrel is lower than a live round and thus magnifies any shortcomings in hold and trigger release. Added bonus is that you can use them in the backyard and pellets are cheap.

graveyard likes this.
  20. JP

JP Loaded Pockets

Those are nice looking pics. Canadian Tire had a few Crosmans on sale last week - $100 off. I got excited and hit the net to research them only to find out Canadian Tires discounted price is everyone else's regular price! I won't be buying an air rifle from them!

FACE and Ryan McKenzie like this.