1. Please update your bookmarks to use https://www.edcforums.com/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Air filtration / smoke masks

Discussion in 'EDC Clothing' started by seeingghosts, Sep 6, 2017.

1. seeingghosts

seeingghosts Empty Pockets

As our western USA sees more frequent wildfires, I'm considering purchasing a lightweight mask with replaceable filters which will meet NIOSH standards for particulate matter filtration.

In my short search, I've come across two brands which look promising. I thought I'd share them here, and hope that members might be able to post regarding their own experiences with various products.

RZ Masks: https://rzmask.com/
    - These appear to exceed the NIOSH N95 suggested filtration, but online reviews are mixed.

Respro Masks: http://respro.com/pollution-masks
    - I will have to investigate these in more detail, as I wasn't able to find rating info.

Any other masks out there that you guys & gals have had experience with?

2. Westerdutch

Westerdutch Loaded Pockets

A good face seal is very important for any proper protection, i for one would not buy a face mask online and just hoping it would be a good fit for me. Is there a chance for you to try these on somewhere?

Also, have you ever played Mortal Kombat?

3. The Slap

The Slap Loaded Pockets

Masks are sold in sealed packets, it's unlikely they will let you try one on, but you never know. Get the most lightweight you can which will still afford you the protection you require - they get sweaty real fast and start slipping, so you have to tighten up the straps and end up with unbearable hot spots. 3M is the brand I go with.

4. seeingghosts

Sub Zero WINS! ;)

Yeah, I was thinking that avoiding coughing, headaches and shortness of breath might be worth the humiliation of looking like Bane for a few days. :)

I'll search around a bit more, but will probably pull the trigger on one of the RZ masks today.

I do wish I could try them for fit & function first, but am limited to interweb sales.

5. Westerdutch

Westerdutch Loaded Pockets

3m also makes disposable and semi disposable masks, they are cheap and can be found just about anywhere. Surely one of the p3s will meet basic smog and smoke standards? I would take those any day over them Scorpion-esque kickstarter-feel fashion accessories.

seeingghosts likes this.
  6. CBRNE

CBRNE Loaded Pockets

May I ask why you want a mask with replaceable filters? Respiratory protection is a big part of what I do (Chemical Weapons). An off the shelf N95 mask will more than meet your needs. If you are worried about the recurring cost, you can clean them with water and let dry (however I do not recommend that). If you want to really go over the top, I recommend looking at CANHEAL masks on amazon (I cant post a link) or for something absolutely ludicrous for your needs, search for a GVS SPR457. I have personally vetted these for potential personal use, I ended up going a different route for reasons, but I still have the GVS laying around somewhere.

seeingghosts likes this.
  7. seeingghosts

Thank you for the input!
    I only recently became aware that there WERE other options besides disposable masks, so my post here was mostly just intended to start a conversation about other options. The seal & fit of disposable masks has always felt awkward to me, and I figured it might be worth looking into something more substantial & durable than the typical elastic straps of a replaceable mask.

The past several fire seasons here in WA state have really wreaked havoc on my health & sinuses >>> Considering all possibilities & options!