1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Aiming for a theme ...

Discussion in 'Knives' started by el_murdoque, Nov 18, 2019.

1. el_murdoque

el_murdoque Loaded Pockets

So I figured that I wanted to try my first themed EDC.
    Since I already am 3/4 there, I'll aim for boring old titanium.
    What I lack is the blade.

[​IMG]

Here's what I'm looking for:
    -A small(ish) folder.
    -Non locking blade (no friction folder, though)
    -Titanium scales (obviously)
    -A true deep carry clip (one where only the clip shows, not the top inch of the knife, too)
    -OHO preferred, but not a must
    -Halfway decent blade steel (D2 and upwards)

It could be really small, as long as the Blade is strong enough and I get a good grip on it.
    I will use it to cut sturdy cardboard boxes to size - a job I don't want to do with a utility blade for fear of snapping it when I use too much force.

The one knife I found that checks all the boxes is the Kizer Zipslip Titanium. There's just one little problem:
    The scales, in my humble opinion, look <swearword of your choice> ugly.
    It looks like a piece of fine silverware for when you have people over for dinner and want to impress, not like the sturdy workhorse blade that rides your RF jeans pocket day in and day out.

Any ideas where to look?

That Movie Guy likes this.
  2. A.B.

A.B. Loaded Pockets

Real steel luna slip joint?

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G950F met Tapatalk

el_murdoque likes this.
  3. el_murdoque

Right on point. Nice lookin folder.

A.B. likes this.
  4. FilthyJ24

FilthyJ24 Loaded Pockets

5. el_murdoque

The Sebenza is a locking folder and it has no deep carry clip. Those are the two things I must insist on,
    since I run into legal issues with locking knives and I don't carry knives where the top of the handle shows along with the clip.

6. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

I generally turn to Spyderco. Unfortunately I don't know of a non-locking Spydie to suggest... :(

Be interested to see what you end up with.

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

7. el_murdoque

Let me help you with that:
    The Spyderco PITS.

I was able to get my hands on the suggested Luna, but the shape of the blade did not tickle my fancy enough to pull the trigger.
    There was an Anso knife that was very much to my liking until I realized that this was not a Fox manufactured one, but a hand made original Anso with a four figure price tag - which made me put it down gently and forget all about it.

Since I was in the area, I also visited a shop where I bought a few knives in the past. That guy accepts trade ins and sometimes has very interesting items.
    I confronted him with my very specific list with the Kizer and the Luna already crossed off. After a lot of thought, he gave up. We talked, though. And he showed me a few knives. Nothing came up. There was a neck knife in a kydex sheath that I tried out. The form of it was flirting with my hands so much it was obscene! I inquired about the price and instead of a number, he told me the blade steel was below par for what I want and usually buy. So we also gave up on this, too. Lucky me, I don't know what I would have done with a neck knife.
    Well, we had to go through all of this to get him to open the cabinet with the trade in items (my guess is he has a bigger margin on his regular stock so the trade ins always come last). Placed before my weary eyes, on the counter of that glorified place of obtaining sharp steel, was a Rick Hinderer XM Slippy in OD Green. The price he asked matched a beaten up model with scratches and notches, but this item was pre-owned by a collector that had it in a showcase. It was in mint condition. Factory Grind, still razor sharp. The thumbdisc was not even attached. Not a mark on it anywhere.
    I usually give a knife a few minutes in my hand, see how it sits in my pocket and play around with it for a bit, but this kind of felt like a no brainer.
    A brand-spanking-new Hinderer for half the retail price.
    So now I blew my budget. But on the sunny side of things: This one actually has titanium sidewalls - they are hidden under the G10, but technically it IS a non locking knife with titanium handles.
    Now I only have to figure out if the clips of the 3" XM-18 also fit the slippy and get an aftermarket deep carry clip.
    I initially thought I might buy this one and just try and trade it for the Spyderco PITS, but I've spent a little time with it and I highly doubt that the Spydie will be the better alternative.

8. A.B.

A.B. Loaded Pockets

I have sinned in the past with very expensive knives. But sold them. For me, at what point are they objects to be used, or works of art? Happy I have seen the light. But, enjoy it.
    Cheers from Holland

9. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

@el_murdoque: Interesting. If there's a seller in my neck of the woods who has previously owned knives I'm not aware. In fact, other than a very few sporting goods stores with limited selection, just not much in the way of actual stores...

I'd forgotten about the PITS, probably because it is discontinued.

You could do far worse than the Hinderer XM-18; use it well and in good health for many years!

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

10. Nick4305
    • In Omnia Paratus

Nick4305 EDC Junkie!!!!!

I see it hard for the true deep carry clip... if you give up to that, what about a Viper Key Titanium Ridge ?
    Uhmmm... i don't know if a 8,5cm blade fits your concept of "small(ish) folder"... well, it does for me. :)

11. el_murdoque

For legal reasons I'll have to stay short of 3", so this is a centimeter too long.

12. A.B.

A.B. Loaded Pockets

Where are you based if I may ask?

13. el_murdoque

You could say all over Europe, I guess. The two knife laws I need to abide are the German restriction that a knife can't be locking and OHO at the same time and the UK one that a knife has to be sub 3" and non locking.

A.B. likes this.
  14. A.B.

A.B. Loaded Pockets

Then how about the spyderco ukpk in titanium?
    Or, you could spring for titanium scales for a vic. Tempted myself, just googling it...

15. el_murdoque

I know what you mean. I have had a long look at these here.
    [​IMG]

I rarely carry my vic. And when I do, it's mainly for the scissors, the file and the corkscrew.
    My main Blade ATM is a Many Wasp. The vic blades are too thin for my liking.

I've had three Spydies in the past:
    -A Byrd Tern, which was stolen out of my bag during a flight (luckily I anticipated something like that might happen and brought the cheap Byrd).
    -An Urban with Coppershred Carbon Fiber scales and stonewashed blade which I liked a lot, but broke the tip off the blade (the one in my Avatar)
    -A UKPK with the standard FRN scales. I liked it, but never got used to the FRN material. It felt somehow cheap. I sold that one.

I don't really know if I was tempted by the titanium UKPK, but as far as I remember these have the long back spacer and S30V blade which I'd like a lot more than the standard version - but they are kind of rare over here and sell for a premium.

A.B. likes this.
  16. A.B.

A.B. Loaded Pockets

I always carry a vic as a secondary knife. And indeed, mainly for the scissors. Main knife is mostly a fixed blade if I can get away with it. The trick here in Holland is to look like you need it. And since I am almost always in my work clothes (construction worker) I'm good.

17. el_murdoque

In my neck of the woods, It'd be a rare thing to have someone enforcing the law actually ask me for a pocket dump,
    but I always have that tingling feeling in my spine when it comes to carrying a knife that's actually not allowed to be carried.
    I want to carry a knife because I enjoy doing so - the fear of having it removed, attached with a fine, would certainly put a stain on that blanket of joy.
    So I rather invest a little more time searching for the one knife that has it all.
    I am actually massively downsizing my ever growing EDC collection and it seems I will end up with only two EDC folders and two EDC flashlights while I have only one of the rest of the things I carry. Since I sold off quite a few items recently, I feel like I have earned access to some higher price ranges.
    To get a feeling for it, I put the Hinderer up for sale in a local knife-o-holic group for a price that's well beyond what I paid and instantly got offers.
    But I'm kind of clueless as to what to get instead.
    I'm positive that I want a non locking OHO with deep carry clip. And to complement the Manly Wasp, I'd opt for a blade that's a little more chubby, like the TRS Atlas.

A.B. likes this.
  18. SOS24
    • +2 Supporter

SOS24 Loaded Pockets

From what I understand all Hinderer XM-18 use the same clip, so any XM-18 deep carry clip should work for the slippy. I know MXGgear and Pop Clips make them.

19. el_murdoque

I just received an eMail from Hinderer confirming this.
    MXGear and Pops-Clips both are based in the US and the shipping is about as much as the clip, though.

20. SOS24
    • +2 Supporter

SOS24 Loaded Pockets

Sorry to here about the shipping. I hope you have an option where you are for custom clips?