1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Aicolainen's EDC and more

Discussion in 'Show us pics of your EDC!' started by aicolainen, Jan 28, 2017.

1. aicolainen

aicolainen Loaded Pockets

My EDC is so minimal, it's hardly of any value to anyone. Will probably post some regular EDC pics down the road, but this time it's a more specific theme.

I had a small challenge couple of days ago, I was planning a short business trip, but instead of staying at a hotel, as I would normally do, I would go off in to the wilderness and stay at a totally unfamiliar cabin in the area.
    All in all, the trip lasted only slightly more than 24h. About 4 hours of business meetings, the rest was travel time (driving) and my little detour to the cabin.

For short business trips I usually bring my F-stop Loka, which is my largest carry-on backpack. I decided to go for this one even if I was going by car. Mostly because I already had a good business setup for it. Going by car I could bring a lot of gear, but I had to walk a fair distance, and not having been there before I also had locate it in the dark. I really didn't want a big pack to slow me down in the dark.

Also had a bag in the car, so I could switch out some gear between activities.

Bag of choice, f-stop loka
    [​IMG]

ICU with camera, 3 lenses, power bank and room to spare
    [​IMG]

Inside view, ICU with camera gear, a Waterfield Outback Muzetto with laptop and all my office gear, down jacket, iPad pro in leather cover toward the back, peak design capture pro in a velcro closure and an Olight R50 in inside pocket of the top pocket. Not easy to see, but still room to spare
    [​IMG]

Waterfield outback muzetto. Well finished laptop bag in waxed canvas. Borrowed picture
    [​IMG]

Just some easy to get essentials in the outside top pocket
    [​IMG]

Verdict: I'm very happy with the equipment, no surprise, since it has performed in similar settings many times before.
    The only thing I would change next time is the size of the ICU. I normally use a smaller one for travel photography, but my girlfriend had borrowed it. The one I used here is better suited for more photo oriented outings.
    I will definitely do similar stuff later. There are lots of open cabins all around Norway, but I have never thought of using them for business trips before. It was a much nicer experience than staying at a hotel.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Heywood Floyd and Treya like this.
  2. aicolainen

Cross country skiing with the kids.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Not a lot on my person today, just the spyderco dragonfly2 (matching my jacket by accident) and my "old" Festina titanium sapphire chrono.
    Off body is a different story. My good old Norrøna Trolltind 60 liters, holds all the food, clothes and accessories the kids could possibly need during a day in the backcountry.

The watch predates my watch interest with about 8 years, and was bought while on a training camp in Switzerland. I don't know anything about Festina or this model, but they don't seem very popular. Must say though, this one has been performing impeccably as my beater/dress/do everything watch for almost 10 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Heywood Floyd and Hewi like this.
  3. aicolainen

Most days are work, schedules and making ends meet, but then you have those days that make it all worthwhile..
    [​IMG]
    The Timex went with me on my evening work out, that wasn't the plan, but it handled it without problem. One other thing I noticed, I haven't used this watch since mid December, and it was only 5 seconds fast.
    [​IMG]
    Can't complain. Perfect conditions in the mountains this evening.
    [​IMG]
    Getting late for sure. My take on the selfie thingy
    [​IMG]
    Dramatic light as the sun is about to go down
    [​IMG]
    All that went along this evening. The Gemini was another "accident", was suppose to have a lighter knife in those pants, but it didn't bother me at all. Olight H1 Nova is currently my go-to head lamp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. aicolainen

I'll be adjusting my folder selection in the coming months, so I had to take a family portrait while they were all still together. Almost. My Nitrous Blitz is allready gone.
    [​IMG]

Not sure exactly who is leaving yet. The Benchmade 940-1 and Böker Subcom 42 is surly in trouble.
    The Benchmade is everything it's hyped up to be, an incredibly smooth and capable knife that almost disappears in my pocket. The problem for me is that I don't really connect with the appearance, and I also prefer smaller (sub 3") knives for EDC.
    The Böker I haven't used at all. It was one of my first folders, bought together with the Nitrous Blitz, and even though it seems like an OK little knife I could never get used to it not having a lock.
    The RAT 2 might also be in trouble. There is absolutely nothing wrong with it, and for the price, it's a gem, but with all the alternatives available, it just doesn't get any pocket time. Hate to see it go, but it's probably the right thing to do.
    In the other end of the scale, there is no doubt that the CRK small Sebenza is my most carried EDC knife. I have small hands, and it's just a perfect fit. It had a really tight action in the beginning, but now that it has loosened up a little, I just love everything about it, exept the price tag.
    The 555-1 Mini Griptilian is a new arrival, so it should probably be lover on the list, but it's just so good, I can't imagine letting it go. I've heard and read so many negative reviews about Benchmade, but based on my 940-1 and 555-1, I don't recognize this at all. I'm not saying those other guys are wrong, just that Benchmade seem to have listened to the criticism and tried really hard to correct their QC issues (at least in this price range).
    SOG Flash I is also a keeper. Can you imagine that? I'm considering selling my 940-1 because of appearance, but I'm still keeping this ugly duckling? Well, first of all, it's a lot cheaper. It's also in my preferred EDC size range, and it just does the important stuff really well. It's super light, has a super deep carry clip (this is the only knife I carry clipped to my pocket) and the blade has a very useful shape and thickness for EDC tasks. Would probably have liked it more with a manual action, but it's now my only assisted knife, so it kind of fills a role in that regard.
    The PM 2 and the Pacific Salt are my two outdoor folders. I should really get by with only one of them, but I just can't sell the PM 2, and I some times find the extra blade length of the Pacific Salt very handy for food prepping. It also gives me some peace of mind to know that I can just throw it in my backpack and it will not rust, no matter what the conditions are.
    The Dragonfly 2 was carried a lot a few months back, but has over time lost that place to the Sebenza. I don't think I will sell it though. It's a very light and capable knife, so I think there will always be some use cases for it.
    The Kizer Gemini should really see more usage than it does. It is a very good knife, In terms of what you get for the money, I think it's really close to having the same price vs quality ratio as the RATs, only in a higher end package. Still it's a little too big to be my preferred EDC, but I'm keeping it just to have a really good flipper around for those days when I just want a titanium flipper frame-lock.
    And lastly, the Cadet. Everyone must have a SAK, don't they? I haven't carried it yet in fear of loosing it. Planning to get a dangler for it, so I can carry it securely. Not a to crazy about non locking knives, but I can see where this type of knife might come in handy, so I think there should be a place for this knife also in my collection.

Edit 2019/07/31: fixed broken link

Last edited by aicolainen, Jul 31, 2019
    #4 aicolainen, Apr 20, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2019
  5. aicolainen

Being a long time bag addict it's hard to resist temptations, but I've been doing OK for quite awhile. On Friday I gave in.
    First new bag for ages is a Berghaus Freeflow 35. I've been eyeing it before, but the price tag put me off. As I went out to get a birthday present I suddenly found it at 50% off. COULD NOT RESIST.
    I will use it mostly for biking, but I'm sure I could find more applications for it down the road.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Heywood Floyd, JHGM and Nick4305 like this.
  6. aicolainen

Ohh. This thread has been seriously neglected.

Last two-three weeks has been strictly business, minimal EDC.
    [​IMG]

The Flagrant Beard wallet was an impulse buy some time back. It´s not great, but it has softened up nicely and holds up to abuse quite well.
    It was always meant to be a temporary wallet while I search for something more permanent. Considering it was quite affordable, I guess I´ve could have been worse off.

The pen has been with me for quite a while, but just like the wallet, it doesn´t appear very often in photos. Wallets, phones, keys and other items that everyone and their uncle carries around, I just don´t find very interesting to photograph. But back to the pen. It´s a Rite in the rain pen, and it´s not the pinnacle of writing instruments, even I can see that, but I needed something to test the concept of having a pen as part of my EDC.
    The test is inconclusive. I´ve found that carrying a pen is really useful and makes up for the sacrifice in weight and bulk. I also still have it, so that indicates I´m capable of taking care of a pen and not loose it... well that´s where the data does´t accurately describe the situation very well. I´ve lost it / forgotten it several times, it just magically finds its way back to me. And I´m pretty sure a more expensive pen would make that magic go away in the blink of an eye.
    So still on the fence, but really tempted to get something improved.

Not much to say about the light. Maratac AAA copper. Great little light.

The knife / multitool. Yeah.. I guess I might have used the scissors once in the weeks I have carried it, but it´s a knife I usually need, and the Squirt is just not great at that. Thats actually an interesting observation in it self. I´m a bit surprised as I often think we carry knives because they are more interesting and we get more attached to knives than other hand tools, but it´s really one of those tools that are very handy to have available at any time. And the other tools doesn´t make up for the reduction i knife capacity. It´s funny cause way back when I got this I thought it would be perfect for those situations when you just need a small knife, screwdriver or need to strip some wires. Well, there are usually better tools not to far away, that are just so much more suited. The quality is quite good, and what you would expect from LM, it´s just that the limitation of the tools often makes the effort worth while to go and get a more suited tool.
    That said, and a bit interesting as well, the small blade on the Squirt isn´t really a significant limitation for what I do with a knife. My biggest gripes with it as a knife is mostly due to inconvenient opening and closing as well as being a bit unsafe, and the steel doesn´t hold an edge very long.

The watch is the big surprise here. When I bought it, some time back, I consideres flipping it even before wearing it. I already had the GW-M5610 and this one didn´t bring much to the table. A much simpler module, battery powered, stamped case back, and I paid only about $20 more for the GW-M5610, which makes it the better deal on paper. However, I really like the subdued look of the DW-5600BB. It´s light, slim, affordable, takes a beating and lacks the billboarding of so many other G-shocks. It´s grown on me like I would never have expected.
    All though I don´t feel the need to disclose anything, there are reasons to why I´ve carried these simple tools lately, and at first the thought of wearing digital quartz long term, didn´t make me to happy. Owning an unhealthy amount of comparatively expensive mechanical watches, it´s a bit scary how little I actually miss them.

My apologies for not being very skilled at making short posts.

Nick4305 likes this.
  7. aicolainen

Throwback Tuesday (warning: nostalic ramble ahead)

Yesterday I went back in time. I was in the area where I rented my first appartment, It´s only a 15 min drive from where I live now, and I often pass through the area, but this time I had my youngster dog with me, and it hit me that it could be nice to revisit the dirt roads and paths where I used to walk my first dog 20 years ago.

[​IMG]

I was happy to observe that this area was still almost untouched by technological progress and land development.
    And as a consecvense it was like walking into a time capsule. You wont believe all the memories that popped up as we were walking around the familiar landscape.

[​IMG]

One of the memories was that this is probably where my interest in EDC was born. Well, maybe the first spark was ignited when I got my Leatherman supertool a few years earlier, but this is probably where I developed the idea of a system. Keep in mind more than 15 years would go by before I even heard the term EDC.
    Anyway, me and my late german shepherd would walk around up here almost every day, year round, in all kind of weather and light conditions.
    Unfortunately I can´t even remotely remember the specifics of the pioneering EDC work that was laid down walking around these paths. I do remember clothing systems were a big part of it, as well as wrist watch and flashlight. The concept of carrying a dedicated folding knife had probably not even remotely crossed my mind. I had already upgraded to a LM Wave at this time, and keeping in mind that this was a time before I discovered the IKC and EDC, i.e. I was still somewhat pragmatic and economical with my gear acquisitions, the Wave probably took care of all my knife needs sans fishing and hunting.

Even back then I was aiming high, quality or nothing, was more or less the rule. But I was young and money was in short supply, so most of my ideas never came to frutation. One of them was the flaslight, it had to be a Surefire. They made pocket friendly flashlights with high output back then, but both the lights and their power source were scarce and expensive in this part of the wood.

It´s funny, even though I had kind of forgotten the origins of my gear philosophy, there´s actually still alot of it remaining in my current thinking. Both for good and bad I guess. Well, bad is probably not quite the right way to describe it, but to be honest, some of me is still living in the past. Back then I was working full time as a communication technician and part time as a dog handler in the army. Having some of the gear I have, can afford and know of today back then would have been really usefull. So I guess me buying all this gear that might be a bit more than I could possibly need today, is an unconscious way of making up for the gear I couldn´t afford back then. Or me still living with one foot in the past, wanting this gear and that lifestyle to still be relevant today. Now, it´s not like I´m not still living an active life or need some gear in my life, but let´s be real, my flashligt collection alone (not counting headlamps) has during the last two-three years increased from one Led Lenser to more than 10, I have one on the way and almost ordered another last night. I must be compensating for something :)

[​IMG]
    Me and the german sheperd stuck in the snow during a mountain crossing in 2002 iirc.

Heywood Floyd, twin63, JHGM and 2 others like this.
  8. aicolainen

Posted this in another thread, but realizing that it's very tied to my EDC setup, and the fact that this thread is under maintained, I could post it here as well:

A few years ago I got a power bank as part of the prize for winning a shooting contest. Yeah, I was late to the show, but thats how I got my first and only power bank. Never bought one for my self, and might still have been without one if this one wasn't given to me. That's kind of weird seeing how widespread they are now.
    Anyhow, when I first had it, I realized it was better to utilize it as part of my EDC rather than stove it away and not have it when I might need it.
    It came in a pouch that was just big enough that I could squeeze in one of the many 5W Apple chargers I had laying around.
    I had a short lightning cable that was leftover from a charging stand I put together for the kitchen, an el cheapo adapter keeper that I just threw in on an amazon order way back, a micro USB cable I bought together with a Logitech iPad keybord that I had to get while on a summer holiday when I suddenly was requested to do some work on a project (i.e. sponsored by the IT department).

The result of this mishmash of very low cost parts that came together without any overlaying plan, was a very handy and capable package that has proven to become one of the cornerstones of my EDC. Wherever I need to go, unless I bring computers, DSLRs etc., I can just bring this and know that my most basic charging capability is taken care of.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Normally it resides in my EDC backpack with the cable ends sticking out and the bag tied closed to protect the connectors.
    If, by any chance, I run out of power on one of my devices, I just throw it in the backpack for a while.
    If I need to refuel the power bank or charge any other device from a wall outlet, I just use the charger and "borrow" the required cable from the power bank. Easy peasy..

Heywood Floyd, MangeD700 and Nick4305 like this.
  9. aicolainen

Got my first Buck this week. Been contemplating for quite some time if I should get the ultimate classic 110 or the “likely to fit my hands better” 112. In the end I fell down on the latter, as I foresee it getting more use.

[​IMG]
    <retro range day>

I didn’t really know what to expect. It seems well put together, but still a little rough here and there. I knew it was a chunk of knife, but was still a little surprised by the heft. Amazing feel in hand though. Perfect fit. I think I did right choosing this one over the 110

10. aicolainen

Been a little busy lately, so I haven't been around much. Suddenly had a few minutes to spare, or really don't, just had to clear my head and think about something else for a few.. so I thought I could do something I've been planning to do for a while that is compatible with putting my brain in cognitive hibernation and bore ya'll to death at the same time, by going through my EDC backpack.
    I was reading through the pry bar thread again, and it reminded me how my on body EDC can come across as quite incapable of doing any meaningful work. That's by design.
    I try to keep things modular. I often change activity and so does the requirements for what I want to carry and how I carry it. My on body EDC is pretty close to the optimal balance I've found between practical utility and not feeling weighed down by stuff.
    The on body EDC presented in the pry bar thread is still accurate down to the type of item, all though I certainly play the EDC game and rotate the actual items from time to time.
    [​IMG]

My EDC backpack is my main complimentary module to my on body EDC. It's not outlandishly excessive, just a well dialed in compilation of items I need from time to time. It's my peace of mind. When I throw it on my back I'm confident that I have whatever I'll be likely to need.
    [​IMG]

Those who are familiar with the Goruck GR1 knows that there are a few compartments, so I'll just go through the organization briefly.

Top pocket Inside of lid - Quick access items used with some regularity:
    • El-cabinet access key
    • Benchmade rescue hook with spare cash
    • Post stamps (facing retirement when used up as we have moved on to digital stamps)
    • small pouch with in-ear ear buds and lightning to 3.5mm adapter
    • metal container with ear plugs
    • small padlock for the gym, airports or wherever I might need to safely store something for a while
    • small selection of regularly used pen, pencil and markers
    • GITD zipper pull that came with the bag
    Bottom pocket inside lid - hygiene items mostly:
    • hand sanitizer
    • tooth picks / floss
    • eye drops
    • lip balm
    • hand cream
    • spare watch
    Front pocket - quick access items used with high regularity or in meetings/situations where I want to access them discreetly:
    • Pouch with all the cables I tend to need
    • Bluetooth mouse
    • Key chain w/ keys, USB storage, USB SW dongle, compact bit driver, small small pry bar, Prometheus QD (house and post box keys w/ QD removed for my safety). All titanium hardware
    • Work site access card (not pictured)
    • Laptop power supply (in use, so also not pictured)
    Main compartment:
    • Rain jacket
    • Rain pants
    • Leather gloves
    • Thin wool hat
    • Thin wool neck gaiter
    • Water bottle
    • Small pouch w/ self contained power system (power pank, USB wall adapter, lightning cable, microUSB cable, microUSB to USB C adp)
    • Molle compatible straps so I can attach larger items externally if larger capacity is temporarily needed, or carrying dirty/wet items that I don't want inside my bag
    • Multitool attached to internal molle
    • Flashlight attached to internal molle
    • bit driver attached to internal molle
    • Lots of free space to carry whatever else I need that day
    PC compartment:
    • Laptop or iPad Pro
    • Note book
    Planned changes / upgrades:
    I want to add a suitable bit kit, just haven't found the right one yet, so I currently just carry the bits I tend to need more often. Otherwise, it's well dialed in and has stayed functionally unchanged for a long time.

Besides this bag, I have a gym bag and a bike/hike backpack that I also use regularly for EDC - it just depends what I'm doing that day and how I travel/commute. I'll try to post a rundown of those as well. Some day.

Last edited by aicolainen, Sep 17, 2020
    #10 aicolainen, Sep 17, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2020
    Heywood Floyd and Benton629 like this.