1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

After all your years of edc gear research & experimentation?

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by dmattaponi, Oct 15, 2020.

1. tbzbbt

tbzbbt Loaded Pockets

A Leatherman Style CS. Abuse the scissor blades in a pinch (pun intended); scrape, tweeze and cut.Closely followed by a small flashlight or a pair of reading glasses.

tbzbbt

dmattaponi likes this.
  2. tbzbbt

tbzbbt Loaded Pockets

Skeletools are the most stylish and coveted of the Leatherman range in my opinion. Until they started with the looney colours.

tbzbbt

dmattaponi likes this.
  3. indigo_wolf

indigo_wolf AKA Breezy

Given a choice.... "Scuffed silver" (I believe Leatherman calls it "Stainless Steel", but give it a few months) works just fine as a color for me. ;)

ATB,
    Sam

dmattaponi likes this.
  4. kensington

kensington Loaded Pockets

My LAPG Operator Shorts/Pants. They are all I have been wearing for the past 5 years or so. Lots of storage options, great for the knife and light with the top of cargo pocket slit.

Next up would be the one hand opening knife, LOVE my ZT 0301.

The Wide WOrld of Flashlights has also been eye opening ;-)

dmattaponi and twin63 like this.
  5. aicolainen

aicolainen Loaded Pockets

There isn’t a straight forward answer to this.
    Right now I would say it’s an AAA light. That’s the item I feel most naked without.
    Knives are handy to have on my person, but in all honesty, there’s usually one nearby that I can use without to much hassle. When you suddenly need a light in the middle of the Norwegian winter night, there’s really no decent alternative to having one on your person.
    Way back, when I was working in more hands on jobs, I loved my Leatherman(s) and headlamps. Still do, but they are more for specific use these days. I wish I new about EDC and this forum back then. I always have had and appreciated good tools, but knowing what’s out there and how other like minded people use them to their advantage probably would have elevated my own experience.

Happy new year

medic68, dmattaponi and twin63 like this.
  6. charlie fox

charlie fox Loaded Pockets

For me it’s my Space Pen, followed closely by an EDC flashlight of some kind.

dmattaponi and twin63 like this.
  7. dmattaponi

dmattaponi Loaded Pockets

If I were to name two pieces of gear that I’ve found eminently useful based on many decades of experience and actual use/need, it would be the SAK coupled with a pocket flashlight. Not often do my day to day edc needs exceed these two items, but these two items get used ALOT...not because I’m looking to use them, but because they continually prove themselves to be useful.
    Interestingly (at least to me), thinking about it as I type these comments, I didn’t really learn this from the forums. I think growing up in a rural area (among self-sufficient coal miners, farmers, and other country folk...not to mention the “greatest generation” was still going strong)...pre Internet, pre cell phone, no street lights, no 24hr Walmart, etc...caused me to recognize these two items as useful and important...And even today with Internet, cell phone, I do have an old dim street light nearby, and a Walmart within 20 minutes, I still find them just as useful...but I’ll admit it was the forums that came later, that helped me to learn more and “refine” my thinking about them. Unfortunately I also wasted a lot of money only to come back to basically what I already knew :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#47 dmattaponi, Jan 2, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2021
    medic68 and twin63 like this.
  8. Outbound

Outbound Loaded Pockets

My most used piece of EDC gear is my Buck-Strider SBMF folding knife. I've been carrying it daily since 2006. Other than that, it would be my Saddleback Leather bifold wallet. I'll never need to buy another wallet. I do want a Saddleback sleeve though for the days I'm in board shorts or dressed up and don't need the whole wallet.

The most surprising EDC revelation I've had is that I don't need to carry a flashlight. This is especially surprising to me as I live in northern Canada, where it's dark more than it's light during the winter. I just so rarely find the need for one on a daily basis that it's not worth the trouble. The once in a blue moon I need one, my phone works fine. I tried for a solid 6 months, but in that time the light in my pocket got used once. When I'm at work, I have a big toolbox within a few steps and I keep a light or 3 in there. At home, I have a plethora of lighting options either in my garage, in my gear room or in various drawers. If I'm in the backcountry, I have lights in my truck and pack. There's just no point for me to have a light in my pocket every day.

jcombs and dmattaponi like this.
  9. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Funny as a light is the one item that I can not be without.

10. dmattaponi

Funny, I agree a light is essential. Maybe it’s environment, personal experience... I don’t know, but whatever it is, it’s only getting more true as my eyes age.

11. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Pretty much exactly my experience too!

12. MatBlack

MatBlack Loaded Pockets

I've found a SAK is most useful to me. In most cases I only need a flashlight at night. I do carry two in my backpack but have seldom ever needed them. I use flashlights mostly at home, and at night. The only place I need them in daytime is in my garage which is always quite dark. I used to carry a AAA flashlight in my pocket but stopped after realizing how infrequently it was needed. I'm guessing living in sunny South Florida has something to do with this.

LivingUpNorth and dmattaponi like this.
  13. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

I work in sunny S Florida a lot and I need a light all the time.
    I just can not see is basically the problem!

PragmaticMurphyist likes this.
  14. Outbound

Outbound Loaded Pockets

Yeah, I don't know why it is. I'm still young, so my eyes are excellent. I just don't find myself in situations where having one in my pocket is required. I'm a welder, so I do use a light at work regularly to check my welds or light up a work area in dark corners, but that light stays in my tool box until needed as anything on my person will get destroyed. My friend who works in IT has a light as part of his EDC but he's behind/under desks and tables running cables etc all the time. I don't remember the last time I did that.

Where do you find you use your light alot?

dmattaponi likes this.
  15. dmattaponi

I use my light as much during the day as at night. Cupboards, corners, crevices, under furniture...in lecterns at work, to better look at something I am working on...to look for makers marks and stamping on antiques and collectibles...to read small print and in low light, to look for very small items I’ve dropped...to see all sorts of things better.

Of course it’s just as useful after dark.

A person may choose to not edc a flashlight, but no doubt a pocketable light is an incredibly useful tool.

jcombs and PragmaticMurphyist like this.
  16. rodia77

rodia77 Loaded Pockets

That pouch! :inlove:

dmattaponi likes this.
  17. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Essentially like your friend in IT except I am in Attics and Crawl Spaces and the bowels of big commercial buildings and huge homes all the time too.
    I constantly need to look in dark places to run and check cabling and electronics and to simply find my way during the day and the night.

You definitely do not want to get caught in many places that I am without light and backup light ever!

I recently worked in a big Yacht on the Ocean during blinding sunlight but when trying to see clearly in dark places in the boat I was actually blinded by the light more than it being a help and I needed bright light of my own to work there.

And I am not young with great eyesight!

18. dmattaponi

I do like this little USA made pouch. Available on Amazon. Forget the price at the moment, but something under $20.

#58 dmattaponi, Jan 3, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2021
    rodia77 likes this.
  19. MangeD700
    • In Omnia Paratus

MangeD700 EDC Junkie!!!!!

I’ve retired the keychain, peaceful!

The best in all these years (2009) must be the Hitch and Timber organizer, i got a few months ago! So easy carry with it!

I could just carry a phone, cardwallet and wristwatch, but what fun would that be?

Nick4305 and dmattaponi like this.
  20. tbzbbt

tbzbbt Loaded Pockets

I have a stainless steel half-serrated Skeletool which is my favourite and is used almost daily. It has a “technical” “engineered” feel to it especially with its skeletal structure. I also have a carbon scales 154cm plain blade which has seen almost no action.

i was going to replace the Skeletool with a new Wave in my EDC, but I found it too heavy and now sits in the car.

tbzbbt

dmattaponi likes this.