1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

After all your years of edc gear research & experimentation?

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by dmattaponi, Oct 15, 2020.

1. dmattaponi

dmattaponi Loaded Pockets

Yes, a pocket knife is my earliest memory of edc. I got my first real pocket knife with a tackle box when I was 5. Before that I played with toy knives. After that a pocket knife was in my pocket throughout my childhood and into adulthood. Never carried a lighter. In recent years I've carried strike anywhere matches in a Marbles match safe, but I've gotten out of the habit more recently. I do see their usefulness though. I just don't use them often enough to want them taking up pocket space most days.

2. twin63

twin63 Loaded Pockets

Flashlight for me. I use a light more often than any other piece of gear.

Bad Company and dmattaponi like this.
  3. kikaida

kikaida Loaded Pockets

What I've learned is that it would be ridiculous of me to carry an expensive knife because all it's ever used for is opening up boxes. I might as well just carry a box cutter.

dmattaponi likes this.
  4. dmattaponi

Those expensive knives that seem all the range on the forums have never even tempted me. I’ll take my lowly SAK over one of them any day of the week.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tesla likes this.
  5. plumberroy

plumberroy Loaded Pockets

I have a picture that shows me wittling on a stick the date put me at 5 . My parents grew up in the Appalachian mountains during the depression . I was taught to build a fire early, I can remember being 11 or 12 camping being given a single strike any where match and going to make the fire. If you came back for a second match you got a lecture on being able to get a fire going with one match could save your life. It possible did . The original fire starters I carried was strike any where matches moving to a bic many years ago and a few years ago I switched to clipper lighter

6. dmattaponi

Sounds like good memories and a good upbringing. Our modern day society would benefit greatly from having more parents like yours

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PragmaticMurphyist likes this.
  7. MatBlack

MatBlack Loaded Pockets

A Victorinox SAK of some kind is easily the most useful EDC I have. I like the 111mm best for daily carry but the 91mm alox are also very handy. I love flashlights but months can go by in between usage. I carry a couple in my go bag but seldom need them.

karlito and dmattaponi like this.
  8. jcombs

jcombs Loaded Pockets

Gerber Prybrid might be an option for you. No clip but they’re cheap and look like they would be pretty handy.

9. Reidar Chr. L. Guttormsen

Reidar Chr. L. Guttormsen Loaded Pockets

Leatherman style CS hanging from a belt loop so that it is always at the ready. I found that I have a lot more use for real scissors than pliers

from my S-A-M-S-U-N-G S9+ via T-A-P-A-T-A-L-K

ran23, kikaida and dmattaponi like this.