1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

After all your years of edc gear research & experimentation?

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by dmattaponi, Oct 15, 2020.

1. dmattaponi

dmattaponi Loaded Pockets

After all your years of edc research and experiment, after all the gear many of us have picked up through our years of surfing edc forums, WHAT have you found to be the single most useful and used, consistently carried piece of edc gear?

For me it is the Swiss Army knife. I bought my first one thinking it was not much more than a gadgety toy, but to my surprise have found it to be the single most used and useful and most consistently carried piece of my edc. I find flashlights, and some other things useful to, but those weren’t a newly discovered thing for me. I had been carrying a flashlight on my keychain since college, long before I ever heard of edc. In contrast, I picked up a Swiss Army a knife on a whim, and to my surprise, quickly found it to be eminently useful for many daily needs. My wife and kids did to. I’ve been carrying one ever since. The whistles, peanut lighters, pry tools, paracord, pocket survival kits, button compasses, water tablets, emergency fishing gear, fire starters, etc, etc., have all been relegated to forgotten drawer and closet spaces, but a SAK is in my pocket every day whether I’m home or out and about.

What’s your surprise piece of edc gear finding?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Fishin Fool likes this.
  2. indigo_wolf

indigo_wolf AKA Breezy

Headlamp.

Have been carrying a knife of one flavor or another since grammar school and a flashlight for the last 15-20 years.

Always toyed with the idea of a headlamp, but never actually pulled the trigger. Then in the last year, I bought 3.

Klarus HR1 (Pro) good idea on paper, but terrible execution. Still keep it around as a middle of the night, wander downstairs light, but not a first choice for much else.

Outbound Lighting Hangover - 6 LED, High/Medium/Low, Internal 18650, USB-C charging with passthrough function. Currently on a GoPro Headstrap mount without the top strap, but the GoPro mounting platform gives a wide range of mounting options. Beam coverage is impressive.

Fenix HM65R - 3 level flood/ 4 level spot with individual controls. 4 segment battery indicator. Swappable 18650 with USB-C charging.

I use one of the two latter lights anywhere from 2-4 hours a day.

There is so much to be said for having both hands free and the light automatically directed where you are looking with enough range and spill that you don't even have to think about it. Definitely one of those things you don't fully appreciate until it becomes ingrained into your routine.

ATB,
    Sam

3. Bad Company

Bad Company Loaded Pockets

Pocket edc flashlight by far.

4. MedusaOblongata

MedusaOblongata Loaded Pockets

Ever since I saw my first Leatherman I haven't even glanced at a SAK again. Start with a stroke of genius, which is a quality SAK, add pliers and all locking tools, and never look back. I wouldn't buy a car without a roof or a house without windows or a backpack that didn't have more than a single compartment, and SAKs are like non-smart phones and cassette players for me now.

dmattaponi likes this.
  5. Wishoot

Wishoot Loaded Pockets

Keychain flashlight. Right now it's an Olight I3 EOS. Truly a constant companion.

Closely followed by a small folder.

Tallboyjim and dmattaponi like this.
  6. dmattaponi

I’m enjoying the comments. Thanks for sharing everyone.

I agree an edc flashlight is another eminently useful piece of gear, as is pliers a based multi tool. My basic everyday carry contains those too, they were things I was carrying (both since college), before I ever heard of the concept of edc. I have to say I found a full size multi tool too heavy to want one in my pocket everyday though, and so I usually carried it on days when a I thought I’d need it. The more recent small, multi tools have provided many more options for light weight carry...[​IMG]

#6 dmattaponi, Oct 16, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2020
    Wishoot likes this.
  7. PragmaticMurphyist

PragmaticMurphyist Loaded Pockets

One-hand opening knife. No competition.

Used to be a Spyderco UKPK in various evolutions (currently S110v) which I still think is the best UK legal-carry knife available. However, since I'm spending a lot more time in my home where the carry laws don't apply, it's now a Spyderco PM2 in S110v inside and the UKPK outside!

Second place goes to my ZebraLight SC600w Mk III Hi.

dmattaponi likes this.
  8. dmattaponi

Yeah, I have to agree there too. A one handed opening clip-it knife is a great piece of gear. I don’t usually mention it in these threads, but I usually have a Spyderdo Delica clipped to my pocket as edc.

PragmaticMurphyist likes this.
  9. PragmaticMurphyist

PragmaticMurphyist Loaded Pockets

Yeah, I nearly wrote an ode to the pocket clip, but decided it didn't properly answer the question! However, the ease it affords of accessing and deploying the knife or flashlight does make it much more likely that I'll do so, rather than squinting a bit or opening the package with my teeth.

Inventor of the pocket clip, my optician and dentist thank you! :smile_coffee:

:D

dmattaponi likes this.
  10. parnass

parnass Loaded Pockets

I have been a member of edcforums.com since it began in 2006, although I carried knives, multitools, a small flashlight, small tape measure, and pens daily before joining.

The only additional item I consistently carried and used after joining has been a small pocket notepad. I've used a number of other gadgets, but can't say they have been carried every day or used consistently.

Last edited by parnass, Oct 16, 2020
    #10 parnass, Oct 16, 2020
    FiaOlleDog, aicolainen and dmattaponi like this.
  11. Sentinel-14

Sentinel-14 Loaded Pockets

Wallet, Keys and phone notwithstanding, without question it'd be some variety of pocket knife. I've been carrying a knife since I was a child wherever and whenever possible and have used it more than any other item I have ever come to EDC. Opening envelopes and packages, breaking down boxes, scraping mud from boots/shoes, cleaning gunk from under fingernails, removing splinters, cutting meat (you do carry your own steak knife, right?)... yeah, I use my knife more than anything else. These days I tend to carry two knives: a medium to large slipjoint (usually a Schrade 8OT Senior stockman, or occasionally a Case Barlow) and a larger folding knife in the 3.25" to 4" range. I mostly use the slipjoint, but occasionally the larger folder gets used for situations where the slipjoint is not appropriate. For example, my Ontario Rat 1 in D2 is my hard-use work knife and has done everything from opening bags of concrete to carving wood for a craft project. I beat on that knife and I'm pretty sure it once even whispered "harder daddy!" :unsure: Any time I know I'm going to be doing manual labor the Rat goes in my pocket. Period.

Second place would be something most people have no use for anymore. You know those plastic tubes of M&Ms you see in the checkout lane at the store? Turns out they're the perfect size for containing spare coinage. I still pay cash for things so I constantly get coinage in change, and this little tube keeps it organized and contained so I dont have loose change just laying about.

dmattaponi and Rusty412 like this.
  12. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

Well,I've always carried a pocket knife of some kind-usually a SAK, but I'd have to echo the pocket light. I use it way more than any other EDC item.

FiaOlleDog and dmattaponi like this.
  13. jcombs

jcombs Loaded Pockets

Without question a pocket friendly AA or AAA flashlight. I’ve always carried a knife of some sort and I may use a knife more frequently but a small light has been much more helpful over the years.
    Everyone should keep a small light on them and I have gifted a bunch of inexpensive AAA Olights to friends and family.

14. jcombs

jcombs Loaded Pockets

Good tip on the M&M tube. I always have change laying loose in my truck and this might clean it up a bit.

15. Tallboyjim

Tallboyjim Loaded Pockets

58mm SAK, mainly a manager or a mini-champ. They give a pen and the few tools I need to get through the 90% of time. Takes up no space, not threatening and very functional for light work. Sure, sometimes pliers are handy but I know most of the time when I might need them and carry accordingly.

AAA flashlight or nitecore tube is a close second.

FiaOlleDog and dmattaponi like this.
  16. dmattaponi

Yes, a notebook...somethings else I've found very useful and have carried for periods of time (but not consistently over time). I just recently bought a few small notebooks for the purpose.

17. dmattaponi

Spare coinage...a number of years back I picked up a few of the Quikoin change holders for nostalgia. I remember my dad carrying one in his pocket through the years. They actually work pretty good.

18. dmattaponi

I agree, a small AA or AAA single cell pocket light is my choice as well.

Last edited by dmattaponi, Oct 16, 2020
    #18 dmattaponi, Oct 16, 2020
    FiaOlleDog and Bad Company like this.
  19. dmattaponi

58mm SAKS are more useful than they appear. I agree they can handle most everyday tasks. I have a Vic Rally & a little Thrunite Ti3 AAA in my shirt pocket as I sit at my desk typing this. Those two items can most likely handle anything I need to do today.

Last edited by dmattaponi, Oct 16, 2020
    #19 dmattaponi, Oct 16, 2020
    FiaOlleDog and Tallboyjim like this.
  20. plumberroy

plumberroy Loaded Pockets

I can't remember a time I didn't carry a knife and a lighter

dmattaponi likes this.