1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Afraid to use my Atwoods!! Am I alone?

Discussion in 'Keychain Tools' started by vrocco, Apr 9, 2009.

1. vrocco

vrocco Loaded Pockets

Since joining the wonderful world of EDC, I have accquired several Atwood creations. I absolutely love everything about them!! The designs are functional and well thought out, and they seem to be made very sturdily. However, I have a problem. I can't bring myself to put a $50-$100 piece of equipment on a keychain and use it to pry things or open bottles or turn bolts.

Does anyone else have this problem? What makes it worse is that some Atwoods seem to become rarer and harder to find, thus making them worth even more. It would be bad enough to damage a $50 tool, but then to not be able to replace it.......unbearable.

Is there someway to get over my Atwoodusagephobia?

2. ajacobs

ajacobs Loaded Pockets

Buy duplicates of the same one if you are paranoid. Really though nothing is going to happen to them. Their beauty is in their function.

3. schadenfreude

schadenfreude Empty Pockets

When I had only 1 or 2, I was the same way. Now I have my "keepers" and a couple "users". I've found that the finish really is what makes me consider using it. The satin/beadblast/DLC finishes look "new" and I hate beating on them, but the stonewash tools just beg to be abused (and can take it!). The steel gasbaby on my keychain gets beaten on and looks as new as when I got it. I'm sure the DLC tools are rugged, too, but since they were my first Atwoods, I can't do it!

4. DonShock

DonShock Loaded Pockets

No fear here! I use my GasBaby daily. I've bought a ton of atwoods, but only kept a few. When I see something that looks like it would be useful, I buy it. If it doesn't quite meet my needs or gets replaced by something else, I resell it at cost.

5. jujigatame

jujigatame Loaded Pockets

You're certainly not alone in being hesitant to use them because they're cool, nicely made items, and it's nice to keep some things in mint condition. But with that said, consider another perspective. If, heaven forbid, all your Atwoods were lost one day would you have any concern about not having gotten any return on investment outside of just aesthetic appreciation? Would you wish you'd used them then? If the answer to either or both of those questions is an unqualified no, then keeping as you have been seems the right thing for you. If the answer was yes, perhaps you should rethink the policy of not using them. You could put out a want ad for a used one and then not worry so much about its condition as you EDC it. Atwoods do have an artistic quality to them but first and foremost they're functional tools.

6. jp2515

jp2515 Loaded Pockets

No you are not alone. I'm afraid to use my only Atwood, a Atwrench. It took me a some time to save up for one and then to wait another while to be lucky enough to snag one. Don't get me wrong its certainly a nice tool with cool functionality, but it will most likely live most of its life in my toy box.

7. JonR

JonR Empty Pockets

function, functional, functionality, all those words have been used below. If it's only function is to look at and fondle, you might as well take up stamp collecting.

But hey, if you enjoy fondling your tools, all power to you. You do what you want and don't give a monkey's what anyone else thinks, including me.

Light blue touchpaper and stand well back..............................

8. adirondack

adirondack Loaded Pockets

Honestly, this is like buying a hammer, and then being afraid to use it because you don't want to put a ding in the end.

If it makes you feel any better, I've had my Atwood S.S. Whistle on my keychain for 2.5 years, and it could pass for brand new. It's the only Atwood tool that I have, but I'd imagine that all of his tools hold up really REALLY well, even in keychain use.

9. parnass

parnass Loaded Pockets

It's more like buying a $250 hammer with a highly refined finish.

10. bpa

bpa Loaded Pockets

The beauty of these tools is their usability. Use them.

11. Nephiel

Nephiel Loaded Pockets

FWIW, I've been carrying my S30V PryBaby in my keyring for close to 2 years now. I noticed a buildup of black dust on it... later on I discovered that dust was titanium powder, from a couple other Ti keyring items the PryBaby spent months grinding against (the contact areas were obvious, there were marks on the Ti items, but not a scratch on the PryBaby after wiping the dust). Recently I decided to make a rubber PryBaby sheath out of heatshrink tubing to prevent wear on the Ti items.

I can't say about Ti Atwoods b/c I don't carry one, but rest assured, steel atwoods are tough. And if you do scratch them, they can always be polished again.

12. grimm_kaosboy

grimm_kaosboy Empty Pockets

I understand the paranoia, but no.....I carry and use all my tools. Superbug was de-corder and thrown on my "home" keyring the day I got it. My Atwrench and whistle are on my key carbiner. My wild card in its sheath around my neck. Use them as the need arises without worry. They are tools and meant to be used, so I honor Peter by doing just that.
    Use them.

13. Rawls

Rawls Loaded Pockets

Don't worry about it. The S30v steel that is used on most Atwoods is really friggin' tough. I have used by Atwrench as a heavy duty pry (for metal pieces) and as a chisel (not recommended usage) and it is ding free. I think as long as you avoid some fancy finish these puppies can be used without too much concern.

14. vrocco

vrocco Loaded Pockets

Alright you guys sold me. The G3 Prybaby goes on the keychain today.

15. tonester

tonester Loaded Pockets

i love using my atwoods. i use them every chance that i get. just got my superbug and it went straight onto the keychain, already used it to open some beers and to tighten up some screws on my truck at work.

16. nbmaine2007

nbmaine2007 Loaded Pockets

Like others, I was afraid to use them at first, but not anymore. As you get a few, you realize that it's silly to avoid using them, unless of course you just want to collect them, which is fine.

17. DavidBinGA

DavidBinGA Empty Pockets

Here's a question..... I have gotten bit by the atwood bug and I was wondering; how many atwoods can you carry at once before being considered crazy? I have three out of the eight tools that I think I could EDC and get by with doing alot. They would be the Funnybone, Nibble and the Crawdaddy. I would be able to handle a #1 and #2 phillips as well as many nut/bolt sizes and are able to do some prying. Question is, should I? I could carry a LM Wave or another multitool and not carry any atwoods at all. That certainly would be realistic but not nearly as fun as getting to use my atwoods. What you guys think??

18. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

As it happens, I have a Superbug on my keychain and a Gerber multi on my belt - the reason being, I always look at Atwoods (and similar tools) as handy "on the spot" fixes that don't take the place of a dedicated tool for regular use.

In much the same way the Arc AAA on my keychain doesn't get used unless I don't have or can't fish out my specific-purpose/specific duty lights.

Your mileage, of course, may vary.

-Trevor

19. Mark123

Mark123 Empty Pockets

I carry an Atwood Prybaby, the basic model, and I can't tell you how many bottles of beer I've opened with it- ;D

That being said, Although I appreciate the aesthetics of the design, bottomline, the reason I spend $45 for it, is I consider it an EDC, indestructable, break-glass- in-case-of-war, pry tool. Although I'd never want to find myself in a bad situation :-X, I'd be curious to see just what it's capable of, if required.

20. RyanMalpiede

RyanMalpiede Loaded Pockets

It's all about breaking the seal and using it on the keychain for the first time. Once you put it on your large keyring that holds the rest of the keys, you are never going to lose the thing. And a Bermuda Triangle is now on all sets of keys in the house, that makes 7 sets. Never leave home without an Atwood. :)