1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Affordable scanner recommendation

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by evi1joe, Jan 5, 2009.

1. evi1joe

evi1joe Loaded Pockets

I'm looking for a scanner to listen to Police, Fire, Rescue, Naval Airstation, etc...(if possible) in Duval County, Florida. I'm hoping to spend $50-$75, but could go up if the best price point was a bit higher. Can anyone recommend a good scanner that is capable and yet easy to figure out for a newbie?

2. charlie fox

charlie fox Loaded Pockets

If your area uses an 800 mHz trunked system the cost of the scanner will be significantly more than what you want to pay. Check with your local Radio Shack or other radio dealer in your area to find out. Otherwise keep checking Ebay for some decent deals. Good luck!

3. sewer_rat

sewer_rat Loaded Pockets

Here's what's being used in your area:

Frequencies being used in Duval

From that, I'd recommend getting a radio that can pick up the trunked frequencies for the Public safety broadcasts. Unfortunately, those usually run in the hundreds of dollars.

4. evi1joe

evi1joe Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the list.
    It looks like the only "trunked" stuff is in the bottom 1/4th of the page; HOWEVER, IF I just wanted to listen to all of the stuff in the top 3/4ths of the page (not the "trunked" stuff towards the bottom), what would be a good, solid cheap scanner to buy? Any ideas?

5. sld

sld Loaded Pockets

I was in a local Radio Shack store last weekend getting a watch battery and noticed couple of scanners on clearance. Seems like something like 50% off. Might be worth a look.

6. Jakpro

Jakpro Loaded Pockets

I have owned a Uniden scanner for several years and it still works great. I put a different antenna on it which helped the range. It will scan all the frequencies in a band and then you can program only certain frequencies to scan in your area.

It will not work for the trunked ones and the ones that are using some kind of digital scramblers. but in this small town rural area, it works very well. It also worked well when I lived in Phoenix.

I only paid around $100 for it. http://www.uniden.com/products/productdetail.cfm?product=BC350C&filter=Mobile#

7. bruner

bruner Loaded Pockets

I'm kind of looking for a new one myself.

Be aware that many areas are on the verge of converting to the 800mhz range. At least that is the case in my town. Your local Radio Shack guys/girls will be able to tell you.

Dan

8. sewer_rat

sewer_rat Loaded Pockets

The scanner I recommend to anyone who wants to listen to just about everything is the BC-246T. It's relatively small, easier to program than many others I've played with and it has a BNC connector rather than SMA. There's a PC program out there that allows it to be programmed even easier BuTel and for once the speaker volume isn't too bad.

This is just my opinion, I've owned and own quite a few scanners of various manufacturers and the two I carry most often are the Icom IC-R5 and the 246T.

9. Hutch

Hutch Empty Pockets

You can use the Uniden BCD 246T to listen to almost anything as long as it's not digital, for that you'd have to go up to the BCD 396T.

The 246 will do trunking for LTR, Edacs, P25, the 396 will do all that plus digital. There are no scanners that can do Provoice at this time (or anytime in the forseeable future). Both also cover the Military air band.

You could also pick up a used 296 (it will do digital) or the 796 mobile/base.

I have the BCD 296, BCD 396, 3x the BCD 996 and an ICOM R20, I've been very happy with the Uniden scanners. (the Icom doesn't do trunking)