1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Advice on which bag to get

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by jeroen94704, Feb 20, 2010.

1. jeroen94704

jeroen94704 Empty Pockets

Hi All,

Because I'm tired of having my EDC scattered all over my person (pant-pockets, coat-pockets etc), I'm looking for a bag that can hold all my stuff. Following the advice I found on this forum, here's a picture of my EDC:

[​IMG]

So nothing fancy, just your run-of-the-mill day-to-day items. The largest items are the phone (4.6" x 2.2" x 0.7", according to the official specs) and the wallet (4.5" x 3.1" x 1", measured by me). I like the Maxpedition stuff I've seen so far, and they seem to be a popular brand here. The thing is I'm having a hard time visualizing how my stuff would fit in the different bags they offer. The most reasonable choice so far seems to be an M-1 or M-2, but I don't know which one (or either) is large enough for me.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Jeroen

2. nbmaine2007

nbmaine2007 Loaded Pockets

So you're looking for a belt pouch more than a bag? I think you'd probably have to go M-1. I don't think you could get that all in an M-2. By your dimensions, the phone may be a bit too large for the front pouch on the M-2. If it would fit, that would probably be the better option. But I think in either case you're going to have to put the phone in the main compartment, and on the M-1 that is more roomy.

Personally I wouldn't find it too practical to have that stuff in a pouch. I want quicker access to my phone, particularly.

3. Safety1st

Safety1st Loaded Pockets

I'm sure everyone will have their opinions and this will be one big thread of good info..

What I will say is, have a look at the Snugpak Response pack. It's the right size for what you EDC with a bit of space for some other items too.. It's very well made, with useful features.

You can wear it as a bum/fanny pack, or over the shoulder or even carry with handle - or just grab.

Best of all it costs approx £15($25) so doesn't mean you're too out of pocket.

image link

image link

Regards,
    Gary

4. Blades

Blades Loaded Pockets

I like the look of the Snugpak Response Pak.

Jason

5. solocanoe

solocanoe Empty Pockets

you really are carrying "waistpack" stuff...to which there are no end of options...
    a google search useing "waistpack" will take you on hours of options.

If you decide on a sungpack/proteus/etc...you'd have lots (lots!) of extra room - then you can carry even more stuff! :evilgrin:

If you go with a 'hand pack with strap option" like a neatfreak, or spec ops makes similar...our own Stormtracker's small UNIKIT (you can search for threads here for all those)...then you could get a small pack with a strap you can take on or off....

you didn't mention, but a search for "EDC cargo organizer" will give you options if you'd like a "drop in the cargo pants options for your stuff.

hey - the best news? - you are starting a GREAT search - full of wonderful twists and turns! :luck:

6. jujigatame

jujigatame Loaded Pockets

Along the lines of what solocanoe mentioned, an organizer rather than a bag, you could check out the 3x5 notebook cover from Maxped. KDOG08 has a thread with some comments and pictures of his here at EDCF.

http://edcforums.com/index.php?topic=25322.0

Also, something like Madped's small Tactile will probably hold all of the stuff in your picture. Doesn't really have any interior organization (one mesh divider) but it can be adapted to go on a belt, has rings for a strap or carry handle, or it could be dropped in a cargo pocket.

7. QDaddy

QDaddy Loaded Pockets

Look at the Maxpedition Janus (seems like I'm the only Janus cheerleader around here). You could add some more stuff and still be organized. It is really easy to attach to a strap or molle and it will even slip on your belt if you don't want to carry it. Don't let their pics fool you... it is small.

8. gcstct

gcstct Loaded Pockets

In a less tactical vein, you could also try this one from Waterfield. Either the small or medium would cover your stated needs, though I'd go with the medium for versatility's sake.

9. jeroen94704

Thanks everybody for the feedback. Lots of good advice! After going through the options mentioned here, the M-1 looks like the best compromise between size and storage space. I understand the advice of getting something larger, but I'm just not a fanny-pack kind of guy :).

The only thing I'm wondering about is what options are out there to make something like the M-1 easily detachable from my belt (but not easy to steal of course!). Are carabiners the way to go, or are there other systems for that purpose?

Jeroen

10. jujigatame

jujigatame Loaded Pockets

A Teklok is great as a way to securely attach something to a belt but still be easily detachable when needed. The issue with that is the Teklok is primarily designed to attach to sheaths via screws. Mating it up to webbing can be problematic depending on the size of the webbing, how it is spaced, where that will mean the Teklok sits on the item, etc.

11. jeroen94704

Do you know of any European vendors of TekLok's? I'm having a hard time locating one.

BTW: Thanks everybody for providing advice. I found an M1 for a reduced price, and it's on its way now. Let's see how it works out.

Jeroen

12. Valerian

Valerian Tea-powered admin

Toolshop.de sells them. I've ordered from them a couple of times. No problems, but it was long ago.

13. NAdams65

NAdams65 Empty Pockets

You are not alone....I love Janus too. Got one for my Fatboy.....now my wallet/phone/.380 have a new home.
    Also goes on my LowePro camera bag.

I think the OP needs a Remora or Proteus......

14. Exmasonite

Exmasonite Loaded Pockets

my only advice might be to look at the M5... it's the M1's bigger brother but i find that cramming keys into a pouch (and getting them out easily) requires more space than one would think.

15. lonewolfranger

lonewolfranger Loaded Pockets

I have a SpecOps Brand 3 pocket utility bag I use every day. It has plenty of room for a small drop in organizer, (fits a Monkey/TT admin very well by the way) gloves, ball cap, car charger, and room left over. Great quality. They have a clearance on outdated colors now. I got one in Coyote Brown a year ago and use it as a grab bag traveling to work, and doubles as a shaving kit for trips too.

16. meganjoe

meganjoe Loaded Pockets

i just got the remora but i carry a lot more stuff... like a small camera, extra batteries, small first aid kit, paracord, mp3 player, p-32, and more, plus all the stuff the OP wants to carry...and i still have room to spare... i like it but it may be too much for the OP ...