1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Advice on some new boots

Discussion in 'EDC Clothing' started by Paul B., Oct 26, 2015.

1. Paul B.

Paul B. Loaded Pockets

Hey guys,

Just new here, already asking for advice! Scroll down for tl; dr. ;)

I'm in the market for some new boots. I work in an office environment, and sport the casual but dressed look, so a nice shirt, tie, sometimes a pullover/ slipover, and a nice sports jacket/ blazer/ suit jacket on top, but I do always wear jeans. And for the last couple of years I've worn sneakers, mostly the classic Adidas High Tops, but a) this look has had it's best day, b) it's murder on my feet, and c) since I go for a long walk with my dog straight from picking him up at doggy daycare (yeah, I know), I'm looking for something which is better on the old feet, and has a slightly less "desperately clinging to one's youth" kind of vibe (see under a).

Several wishes/ needs/ demands:
    - real leather (doesn't need to be a 100% leather shoe, but if leather is used, it needs to be proper, dead animal leather);
    - proper ankle support, wide-ish bed, decent arch support;
    - should work in an office environment (I do walk quite a bit during the day, since I prefer face to face over phone and email), but if I go for a 10-15 mile hike, that should be no problem either;
    - black; non debatable ;)

No, I know what you're gonna say, buy some proper shoes for the office, some brogues, and I agree, that would be best, lookwise at least, and then throw some hiking boots in the car, and switch shoes when you go out with your dog. Problem is, those shoes, my feet are not made for those I'm afraid, and YES, I have tried the upper segment (> € 300,00), with the same results. My feet sweat (but don't smell, thank you very much), and swell during the day, and my feet get carved to bits in "proper" shoes. I'm talking bleeding through the leather carved up.

So, after that wall of letters, what's the deal? Well, in my bartending and waiting tables days, I used to wear, what we called, security boots (since most doormen wear them), and they were freaking awesome on the feet, could walk in them all day and night, then go clubbing till noon, and walk the dog when I got home, no problems. But I'm afraid they might look a bit too tactical in an office environment. And browsing through some of the threads, I figured someone here must have at least tried that kind of look, and maybe got away with it? For reference, these are the type of boot I'm talking about:
    [​IMG]

Thanks for any advice you might be able to give me, as far as brand/ type with the best look office wise, and the best comfort "hike"-wise.

TL; DR: all shoes suck, tactical boots rule, but office, jeans/ shirt/ tie/ jacket, need advice ;)

2. C.Boland93
    • In Omnia Paratus

C.Boland93 Loaded Pockets

No suggestions but watching where this goes. My work boots are now trashed and I ideally wanted a pair of black Timberland boots (I have some light grey ones that are really comfy) but don't want to pay like £160 just for work.

Sent from Catherine's iPhone using Tapatalk.

theirishboxer likes this.
  3. Schaferhund

Schaferhund Loaded Pockets

Have a look at Ecco track 6 (edit: the boot version) I wear the black version for doorwork and anywhere I need smart shoes that I can stand/walk for long periods whilst wearing. They don't look tactical in the slightest, but they have all the features you see in those security type boots. The quality is orders of magnitude better than Magnums.

4. theirishboxer

theirishboxer Loaded Pockets

i wear the magnum vipers in an office environment and no on has mentioned anything to me, but my office dress code does not require a tie or jacket so ymmv, keep them polished and no one can really tell the difference between them and leather work shoes if you are wearing pants

Paul B. likes this.
  5. MCPOWoller

MCPOWoller Loaded Pockets

Do yourself a favor and look at Oakley or 5.11. Both have different styles in black and some look fairly un-tactical. I wear khaki pants /cargo pants and an untucked polo shirt with Oakley boots to work and never raised an eyebrow.

Paul B. likes this.
  6. FeeSimpleAbsolute

FeeSimpleAbsolute Loaded Pockets

Look up Thorogood Work Boots. I have a pair, and they are wonderful. Hardly any break-in time, great for hiking, nice enough for work (in my opinion). I wore mine to work for the last year, and now I wear them to class everyday. They have some options in black that might work for you, if black is what you are looking for. I chose a pair in a kind of cherry brown.

Paul B. likes this.
  7. Paul B.

Paul B. Loaded Pockets

Thanks guys, some really nice options there! Those Thorogood look very good!

theirishboxer likes this.
  8. Viper101

Viper101 Loaded Pockets

What about something like the timberland chew it ridge in black? I think they would look classy in office attire, and I love their boots for hiking.

Paul B. likes this.
  9. Paul B.

Paul B. Loaded Pockets

I was just wondering; could you comment on the width of shoe bed? I have wider than average feet, and I read some reviews that most Magnum boots are quite tight.

Thanks!

10. Paul B.

Paul B. Loaded Pockets

Really not a fan of Timberland tbh, at least, in any colour other than their sand colour. In black, they look a bit too massive IMHO.

11. FeeSimpleAbsolute

FeeSimpleAbsolute Loaded Pockets

I don't know how my feet compare to yours, but mine are also wider than average, and the Thorogoods have sizes that fit. Not to discourage you from looking at anything else, either. If I had the money, I would look at so many pairs of boots...

Paul B. likes this.
  12. Paul B.

Paul B. Loaded Pockets

Awesome, thanks for that! Will be spending next Thursday shoe-shopping, and I'll let you guys know what I ended up with!

13. theirishboxer

magnums tend to run wide in my experience (I've owned 2 pairs of the vipers) which is good for me because I have wide feet as well, they do come in wide sizes as well. they are probably the most comfortable shoes/boots I've ever owned

Paul B. likes this.
  14. Paul B.

Paul B. Loaded Pockets

It's starting to go towards the Magnums then, and tbh, I really like the look of them, especially the Viper Leather Waterproof ones, they look the least tactital with all the benefits (except side zips, but they seem to be a bit hit and miss anyway).

15. theirishboxer

I have the sided zips they are awesome

Paul B. likes this.
  16. Paul B.

Paul B. Loaded Pockets

Well, I'm planning on driving the people at the stores I have in mind mad, and will try on anything and everything that might fit the bill, so I will be sure to give them a go! ;)

17. SerenityNZ

SerenityNZ Loaded Pockets

I wear... Lowaboots.com

Black Sheep don't follow the normal path...

18. Paul B.

Paul B. Loaded Pockets

Well, I unexpectedly had some time to shop today, and I ended up with the Magnum Steath 8.0 Leather Waterproof Sidezip boots. Well, I say ended up with, I just finished ordering them online, after I came home from the shops. Since I had done some prep work, I found out the store I tried them in this morning, was charging € 32,00 more than what I found online. I am Dutch, lest you forget. ;) So they should be arriving tomorrow or Friday, will try to get some pics up then!

Longbow_06 and FeeSimpleAbsolute like this.
  19. Longbow_06

Longbow_06 Banned

Merrill's, Merrill's, and more Merrill's.
    I practically live in mine.
    Did I mention Merrill's ??

20. TheKojack
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

TheKojack Loaded Pockets

Danner mountainlight 2's. They are available in all black, waterproof, fully rebuildable so they can be re-soled, the uppers are cut from one solid piece of leather and they are super comfortable. My go-to everyday boot if I'm not in my redwings.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]