1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Advice on my first Barkie.

Discussion in 'Knives' started by bozatron, Oct 9, 2010.

1. bozatron

bozatron Loaded Pockets

I am looking to buy my first Barkie, but as there are so many choices and I don't live anywhere near a dealer where I can actually try before I buy, I thought I would post up my thoughts so far and see what you guys think.

I am looking for a general EDC knife. I want it to be small enough to be pocket carried, but big enough to be useful for general every day cutting tasks. I know it does not have to be very big as I have been carrying a Spyderco dragonfly for a year or so now, and it has never really let me down. However I fancy a small fixed blade to add into the mix. Daily I guess I cut fruit, sharpen a pencil, open a box, cut paracord, that kind of thing. At weekends during the cooler months I go camping in the dessert and have been carrying a CRKT Steve Ryan Plan B for a few years now, so ideally would like the Barkie to take its place as well.

I would like for it to fit into the Adirondack pocket sheath if possible, but this is a flexible want. Anyone know if the bumble bee and the Imp will fit into an Adirondack Pocket Sheath?

My personal preference is towards a broader blades, but it is not always easy to tell from a picture how the knife looks in real life. I have short listed five; IMP, Bumble Bee, PSK, MiniCanadian and Lil Creek.

I have done quite a lot of web searching for in-hand pics to try and get as good an idea as possible of the proportions, and checked out all the stats I could find. Currently I think the Imp is top of my list. With the Bumble Bee second but I don't think it will fit into the Adirondack sheath. The PSK and MiniCanadian equal 3rd and the Lil Creek last as I am not a huge fan of the shape.

As for finish, I want something utilitarian, solid and basic looking. I am not really into the bright colors, fancy woods or burls. Maybe Lignum Vite, Olivewood, Walnut or Dessert Ironwood. As for pins, I think just plain solid pins with a hollow one at the tail would be ideal.

Any input would be great.
    Thanks in advance.
    B.

2. rdrogers

rdrogers Loaded Pockets

I once was in your position. For pocket carry, in my opinion, a little creek is a fantastic knife. It is not the broadest blade, but has a very useful edge length and thickness. I have purchased many other types since, but still carry my lil creek the most. It is dark curly maple with red liners ~ beautiful. By the way, the knife pictured in the photos of the Adirondack sheath is a Little Creek. It is a sweet blade for EDC fixed carry, and can do the job of larger knives. Bump it up on your list. In this size range, if I went larger, it would be an Izula. That's a whole other thread. 'lil Creek is the first intro for many barkie addicts.

3. BBQ BOY

BBQ BOY Loaded Pockets

Look at the Little Creek or better yet the PSK.

4. mkphc

mkphc Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]
    i have one in maple bark bone and the clovis pouch sheath fits great in a pocket
    plus this is one that i never use so its f/s if your interested

5. Eclipse159

Eclipse159 Loaded Pockets

I just received my Little Creek from Jon. This thing rocks! It punches well above it's weight!
    Here it is in the pocket sheath along with a Nitecore D10.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    It came nice and sharp out of the box and after a couple of passes on a strop it was scary sharp!
    Sorry about the bad pics, but my camera is being repaired and the lighting sucks but the give you an idea of the knife.

As for handle materials you could go with a G10 or micarta.
    Hope this helped.

6. bozatron

bozatron Loaded Pockets

Thanks for your responses guys,

rdrogers - I think I am starting to swing more towards the little creek, any chance you could post a pic or two?

mkphc - the bumble bee is a very pleasing shape to the eye, but how does it perform? why are you selling it? and thanks but I am looking for a more humble handle.

eclipse159 - thanks, I like your setup this is almost exactly what I am looking to put together. How is the knife in your hands? do you find the 3 finger handle comfortable? From what I have seen the blade is nice and strong looking with a good thickness but can you exert enough grip from the short handle to warrant this blade?

I have had a good search on the youtube but only found one review of the little creek, anyone know of any others?

Any thoughts on the Mcknight Grind version, anyone?

Thanks again.
    Stay safe.
    B.

7. viix

viix Loaded Pockets

Yes! You can't go wrong with the little creek.. I'm using one in the carpenter 440 steel and it's a great EDC, especially with the pocket sheath! Between that and my BRKT PSK, the creek gets more use because the handle and blade shape allows for more finer control.
    The mcknight grind in my opinion, is not necessary unless you like to use the tip for some fine carving.. it's a false grind and only makes the tip slightly pointier.. for the little creek, it is already quite fine at the tip so it doesn't make a major difference but for thicker knives, it would.

8. papacrapas87

papacrapas87 Loaded Pockets

i have the little creek and i can get a full (4 finger) grip on it... solid...
    i have medium large hands fyi...

i have the same pocket sheath / d10 / little creek setup... woot

9. bozatron

bozatron Loaded Pockets

;) excuse the subtlety but . . . . :worthless:

10. papacrapas87

papacrapas87 Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Eclipse159

Eclipse159 Loaded Pockets

I too can get a full four finger grip on my little creek quite comfortably. I like the look of the Mcknight grind but don't think it would improve the performance much.

I carry my setup in right back pocket and it's been very comfortable, i often forget it's there, even when sitting down. This setup is also very concealable, it literally disappears in the pocket.

I love it!

12. rdrogers

rdrogers Loaded Pockets

Here ya go. Mine is dark curly maple with red liners. Its pretty beat up. I need to send it to Bark River for some love.

[​IMG]

13. bozatron

bozatron Loaded Pockets

papacrapas87 - Thanks for the pics, it does sit well in your hands. In hand pics make it so much easier to get an idea of scale.

rdrogers - not beat up, just well loved :)

14. mkphc

mkphc Loaded Pockets

nothing wrong with it at all, just have too many knives in that size, BUT i really wanted that handle, kinda old school look to it, and now it just sits, and i'm not looking for a fortune for it, ill post an in hand pic later tonight nice 4 finger grip.