1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Advice on gear: looking to buy a GPS, pack for Female & 3 Person Tent

Discussion in 'Travel' started by Gman44116, Jun 17, 2013.

1. Gman44116

Gman44116 Loaded Pockets

Need to find these reasonably priced.

My Family and I just moved to colorado and plan on a few 2-3 day backcountry camping weekends.

I'm up to $800 at least already with no end in sight. These 3 items represent the last "expensive" purchases I need to make.

My daughter needs a pack. 15 years of age. Needs to be 2,500-3,000 cu in size. She's probably going to be hauling the tent, bear canister, her sleeping bag & clothing.

Tent has to be 3-season and ultralight as we will be packing this.

A GPS. no experience with handheld units. Don't need the $400 Garmin, though I'd like it.

I have water, cooking, first aid & survival taken care of.

Thanks everyone!

2. JohnN

JohnN Loaded Pockets

You might consider a used Garmin 60 series. Looks like ebayable around $250.

Good antenna, chipset. Rugged.

-john

Last edited by JohnN, Jun 18, 2013
    reppans likes this.
  3. CatherineM
    • In Omnia Paratus

CatherineM Loaded Pockets

I'd suggest a Kelty Redwing for her.

Sent by Owl Post

Gman44116 likes this.
  4. reppans

reppans Loaded Pockets

I'll plus one on the Garmin 60 series (I have a CSX). I use it for everything... it has nearly full auto-routing capabilities of their street pilot series and so is my primary navigation for my motorcycle and cars, and you can layer the maps, so I also have Topo maps for hiking, and Marine maps for kayaking. I have half the US on one SD card and the other half on another. Pocketable and runs ~3 days on 2 Eneloops. My first one died after ~ 4 yrs of hard use (motorcycling handlebar mounted), Garmin replaced it with a refurb for $50 and I'm clicking another ~ 4 yrs with no interests in anything different.

5. SponzyParadox

SponzyParadox Loaded Pockets

I have had really good luck with tents made by Eddie Baur, beat the heck out of em in scouts and they keep coming back for more light to.

My GPS Is a map and compass, so can't help you there. And I use an old Sportsman Guide pack and it works fine for me. Looking to upgrade

6. patrat

patrat Loaded Pockets

Go visit a Golite retail store, and check out their offerings. Careful of Denver craigslist, someone has apparently been advertising super cheap brand new outdoor gear, and there have been a few calling out "scam" on the postings.

Maybe watch the backpacking light gear swap forums, although they have some scammers too.

Another good brand to check for affordable, quality, light gear is mountainsmith. Their packs are well known, and I like their tents.

A bear canister, tent, and bag sounds like a lot of volume for a 3000CI pack if all carried internal. Load up that pack with representative gear in store before you commit.

3 people rub elbows, hips, etc in a 3 person tent; your teenage daughter may not be enthused. You may be better off getting a 4 person rated model. The mountainsmith 4 person models (I have the genesee 4) are a good balance of size, price, and weight. An alternative I have looked at is the Golite SL5. Big Agnes makes great lightweight tents, but they are expensive! Whatever tent you get, replace the stakes with either nail pegs or preferably the Y-cross section shaped aluminum stakes like MSR groundhogs, Colorado soil bends normal stakes. Buy guylines and bring extra stakes, if colorado wind picks up your tent needs to be battened the heck down.

r-ice and Gman44116 like this.
  7. locknload223

locknload223 Loaded Pockets

If you keep a look out, that $400 Garmin can be found much cheaper. The 62S was just on sale for $250 at Cabelas, now back up to $350.
    http://www.cabelas.com/product/Garmin174-GPSMAP174-62S/753228.uts?WTz_l=SBC%3BMMcat104791680%3Bcat104729580&rid=11&WT.mc_id=cj1122587&WT.tsrc=AFF

This is a great unit, I've had mine for 1 1/2 years now and love it, picked it up on a black friday deal for $250 after sale and rebate. Go for the 60 series if you can find a good enough deal. I'd steer clear of the touch screen units, I've read they can be finicky.

+1 on Mountainsmith. Also check out Alps Mountaineering, the owner came from Kelty. They make packs, tents, pads, and bags and have great gear for insanely low prices comared to the "high end priced" companies. I bought their Chaos 2 tent from Steep and Cheap (part of Backcountry.com) for under $120, it's around $180 at REI. If you couldn't tell, I DO NOT pay retail for anything. Look around and if you don't need it tomorrow, you can save a lot of money. Slickdeals.com has alerts you can set for words like, REI, Marmot, etc and you'll receive emails when someone posts a deal from that company. Steepandcheap.com has a Firefox add on where you'll be alerted when each new deal comes up.

Depending on your daughter's size, she may need an adult pack. If you guys plan on getting serious about this, get her a real backpacking pack, it will carry the weight much better than a regular backpack. SBe aware, some of the kids packs have an age cutoff right where she's at. Second thought, you need to get her into an adult pack if she's going to be carrying the tent or it may be sticking out of the top of her pack. Also if you get a 4 person tent as suggested, keep in mind you'll want to divide the tent up for weight distribution, you may be looking at a 7+ lb tent depending on your cost. The Chaos 3 is just under 7 lbs.

Chaos 3, http://www.amazon.com/Alps-Mountaineering-Chaos-Brown-Orange/dp/B00B7MR9XG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1371658822&sr=8-1&keywords=chaos+3

Lynx 4, just under 8 lbs, http://www.amazon.com/Alps-Mountaineering-Lynx-Brown-Orange/dp/B00B7N6R0Q/ref=sr_1_3?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1371658914&sr=1-3&keywords=ALPS+Mountaineering+3+Tent

Gman44116 likes this.
  8. patrat

patrat Loaded Pockets

Mountainsmith genesee, 4 person, 6 pounds 9 oz.

+1 on splitting weight among packs.

9. UsubM

UsubM Loaded Pockets

A female in one of my hiking groups used the Kelty Pawnee series for a few trips

http://www.kelty.com/p-669-womens-pawnee-50.aspx?category=backpacks

It looked like a pretty squared away pack and it's hard to go wrong with a Kelty.

ETA: My best advice for picking out a pack is to go to an REI or other outdoors specialty store and try it on to make sure it'll fit properly, and to check for how much it'll adjust if your daughter is still growing so she can continue to use it

Gman44116 likes this.
  10. Gman44116

Gman44116 Loaded Pockets

I was so busy purchasing gear the past week!!

Good tips from all. After bargain shopping, I picked up as much as I could from Backcountry which offered price matching. Love BC!!

So, close to $2K later looks like we're ready for some Hiking & Camping.

I won't list all the nitty gritty but here's the main components:

Sumo Jetboil
    All clear micro water purifier
    M.H. Lamina 35 sleeping bags
    Thermarest trekker pads
    Thermarest Compressible pillows
    Nalgene. Hydroflask
    FAK (added a suture kit)
    ESEE
    Frogg Toggs Rain suits
    Nite-Ize Tie Downs
    Silky Pocketboy Saw
    Alps Morada 4 person tent & Pad
    Guide 10 plus & Nomad 7 solar charger
    REI Flash 62 for me
    TNF Terra 55 Youth for son 12.
    Gregory Jade 50 (small) for daughter 14.

I'll take a photo with all the gear. A daunting timely task hunting down the best prices. Fingers crossed I don't croak hauling all this gear. Looking forward to weigh ins.

I'll be hunting for a Garmin 62S as well.

11. JohnN

JohnN Loaded Pockets

Any of the 6x series will probably be fine. I have one of the 60C line and it is still great.

-john

Gman44116 likes this.
  12. Wolfhound0023

Wolfhound0023 Loaded Pockets

you can try www.geartrade.com if you dont need new stuff. Have had really good experience so far.

13. SouthCarolinaMike

SouthCarolinaMike Loaded Pockets

ON the Pack, Go Osprey. I have a Talon 33L, 3,000cu.in. I love it. I've done several week long hikes along the AT and it's great. Plus if ANYTHING happens to the pack, no questions asked repair or replace guarantee.

cowsmilk likes this.
  14. SouthCarolinaMike

SouthCarolinaMike Loaded Pockets

15. locknload223

locknload223 Loaded Pockets