1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Advice Needed For New Torch/Flashlight...

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by Spuggy, Mar 19, 2021.

1. Spuggy

Spuggy Loaded Pockets

For the third time, I come to the forum members for advice on currently available torch/flashlight options for my job role. On both occasions previously, forum members have very generously given their time and shared their knowledge with me, I have purchased on their guidance and been incredibly happy. It would be a ‘no brainer’ not to come here again to ask for advice on the currently available kit!

I am a serving UK Prison Officer and recently my role has changed slightly requiring me to rearrange my daily belt kit and some of the items I carry. Below are the only real requirements I currently have.

What Region/Country/State will the light be purchased in?
    I will be mail-ordering or buying online, so this doesn't matter.

Price Range:
    Less than £100 ($140).

Format:
    I want a torch/flashlight.

Length:
    75 to 130mm (3 to 5 Inches) - space is limited.

What batteries do you want to use
    I’d prefer a rechargeable system, but not vital.

Durability:
    Critical (Police, Fire, Search & Rescue, Self-defense, Survival.)

Switch Type:
    Clickie switch. (Stays on until pressed again.)

Switch Location:
    Preferably tail clickie, but not vital.

Operational Modes:
    I want multiple light levels.

Special Needs:
    Red filter built in (not a separate filter which I WILL lose!).
    Waterproof.
    Holster (either ‘type specific’ or aftermarket available).

#1 Spuggy, Mar 19, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2021
  2. Banzboy

Banzboy Loaded Pockets

Olight Warrior Mini. Everything but the red filter, that can be retro fitted easy enough.

3. neo71665

neo71665 Loaded Pockets

Truthfully I would suggest staying away from anything with built in charging. My experience it's better to have your light, something like a 18650 (or any size) standard battery, and a separate charger. That way if one goes bad your not stuck with a paperweight.

My daily carry is an convoy s2+. For 2 years now I've carried it been impressed enough I'm gonna order another one for backup. I think you're gonna be hard pressed to find anything with a built in red light that is worth a hoot.

FiaOlleDog and Spuggy like this.
  4. Spuggy

Spuggy Loaded Pockets

Thanks Banzboy, but I'd rather the red was built in. Any extra bits like filter caps, I don't really have the capacity to carry and I will definitely lose! Olight are great though- I have a few!

5. Spuggy

Spuggy Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the reply. I know what you mean about the red option, but it is quite important to me now - it wasn't before.

6. Captainkirk

Captainkirk Loaded Pockets

Last edited by Captainkirk, Mar 19, 2021
    #6 Captainkirk, Mar 19, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2021
    Spuggy likes this.
  7. rodia77

rodia77 Loaded Pockets

I haven't had any experience with them, but Nitecore MT10C and MT10A seem to fit your bill.

Spuggy and chaosmagnet like this.
  8. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Same suggestion here but no experience with either of these models too.
    Nitecore also used to build a few SRT Series models with Magnetic Rotary Control and different color emitters but I think they are discontinued too?

Spuggy likes this.
  9. SOS24

SOS24 Loaded Pockets

Check out the JETBeam RRT03. The only requirement it does not have is built in recharger, but you could get a battery with a built in micro usb charge port and you wouldn’t need a charger.

As ezdog mentioned the mow discontinued Nitecore srt3 would have also met all requirements except built in recharging.

Spuggy likes this.
  10. chaosmagnet
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • Sponsor - Home Craftsman
    • In Omnia Paratus

chaosmagnet Loaded Pockets

I have an MT10C and recommend it for this.

Spuggy likes this.
  11. Water-Rat

Water-Rat Loaded Pockets

I was thinking of suggesting Nitecore as I know they have several lights with a second LED that is red. I have a MT2A that has worked well for me (doesn't have a red light).

One thing to be aware of is that on lights with a secondary red LED, the red LED is often very dim and you wouldn't be able to change the brightness like on a light with a red filter. For example, with the suggested MT10C, the main led has over 900 lumens on turbo, but the red LED has .8 lumens. The MH27 that I was looking at and is probably too big for your application has 1,000 lumens from a 18650, but 13 lumens for the red LED.

There are a few lights that have both a standard white LED and a bright Red LED. The Nitecore Chameleon Red has a white LED and Red LED side by side with individual reflectors and then a pair of smaller colored LEDS. I believe the white LED is 440 lumens and the Red is 120 and both have a few different brightness levels. However, it is a larger light.

So, definitely think about how bright you need the red LED to be.

Spuggy and FiaOlleDog like this.
  12. FiaOlleDog

FiaOlleDog Loaded Pockets

75 to 130cm

@Spuggy , I doubt that you want to carry a flashlight/torch that's about +/- 1 meter (~3 ft) tall :D

If you allow us to better understand your needs ... what do you use red-light for (keeping night vision?, searching for body fluids you would need an infrared light instead) and why is built-in charging important (my guess: you use this torch frequently and want to easily put it on a base to charge it, not replacing LiIon batteries).

Also I have no experience with this model, but maybe the (a little over budget) Olight Freyr (https://olightworld.com/olight-freyr) with white + red + green + blue light modes could fit your bill?

Last edited by FiaOlleDog, Mar 21, 2021
    #12 FiaOlleDog, Mar 21, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2021
    Spuggy likes this.
  13. Spuggy

Spuggy Loaded Pockets

Thanks for all the suggestions - very helpful and given me some very good ideas!

FiaOlleDog - The red light is so I can be 'sneaky' and not disturb anyone when they're up to no good in the middle of the night. I can also do my checks at night without aggravating anyone by lighting them up like a Christmas tree! Many cons kick off if they don't get their 8 hours uninterrupted beauty sleep!
    I edited my first post - I would definitely struggle to close my pouch with a 4ft flashlight!

FiaOlleDog likes this.
  14. Archive

Archive Empty Pockets

The Fenix TK25 is a favorite of mine for urban and woodland use. It will slightly exceed the 5" length requirement.
    I use red light somewhat frequently at work, and for a few hobbies.
    I still admire and use the forlorn Photon Proton Pro design as well.

15. turbo6

turbo6 Loaded Pockets

If red is an absolute must I believe Fenix had a TK model with red and blue built in. I don't believe it has built in charging though.

16. FiaOlleDog

FiaOlleDog Loaded Pockets

@Spuggy In case you picked your new work flashlight, please feel free to let us know via this thread - and the reasons why you picked it up. It's always interesting to see how others follow their decision process. TIA!