1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Advice needed fellow EDCers

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by Radley, Jun 27, 2013.

1. Radley
    • In Omnia Paratus

Radley Uber Prepared

I'm looking into getting an EDC bag and while the want for a Maxpedition Versipack Fatboy, I currently have been put on a spending freeze by the boss as the car and house need some work. So have looked and found a cheaper copy by Kombat UK. The questions that I have are 1. Should I get a second choice bag for now just so I have a bag and 2. Has anyone else heard of Kombat and what do think ad 3. Has anyone bought a copy of a top quality product and hat where your thoughts, I have learnt that is always better (if possible) to get the best product and have followed this for all my current EDC but need a bag. So help.

Thanks. Ben
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. defuse kit

defuse kit Loaded Pockets

Second rate bags are always hit or miss. Some do alright as long as you don't overload them, some blowout if you so much as sneeze in their general direction. If you're absolutely sold on the idea, then save up for a legitimate one.

On the other hand, if you can land a cheap as chips copy, it can provide a learning experience on the cheap. I happened onto a XM-18 clone which was perfectly the size and weight of the real deal. Wasn't for me. I learned that without having to drop 700+ on it.

kertap75 likes this.
  3. PaBushcrafter4659

PaBushcrafter4659 Loaded Pockets

Give it a shot. I have a knockoff of the bag above and its perfectly fine.

And I don't treat bags lightly.

4. Schapendoes

Schapendoes Loaded Pockets

I am currently using a "cheap" bag. My dad got it for for me and cost $28. I have been using it for about a month and so far it works great.

5. Stonerman33
    • In Omnia Paratus

Stonerman33 Loaded Pockets

I have a knockoff, the UTG tactical messenger I think it's called on amazon. Works well, built well. Now the fabric isn't quite as heavy, and there were a couple shoddy stitches, but it was also about $70 cheaper than the maxped when I bought it.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

6. mommy1268

mommy1268 Loaded Pockets

I've seen some deals on e-bay, click the "used" button when you search

7. GatorMedic

GatorMedic Loaded Pockets

One of my coworkers uses a knockoff Rush 24 (Walmart Fieldline or whatever it's called). He rides with it on his motorcycle everyday, uses it on the ambulance every shift, and has it packed to the gills. He loves it, and it's never failed him. I don't know how long exactly he's had it, but I do know it's been at least a year. Seeing his made me start looking for a similar pack which is how I stumbled on 5.11 bags. Used 5.11's EMS pants and job shirts for years but hadn't ever looked at their bags before. If you need a bag, I vote go for the knockoff. It'll satisfy your needs now while keeping your funds for more pertinent matters. If it fails a year down the line then maybe you'll be in a better position to spring for the real deal, or by then you might want a different bag altogether.

8. doktorziplok

doktorziplok Loaded Pockets

stupid spelling is enough to make me stay away. "kombat?" oh, please let me give you money.

9. Radley
    • In Omnia Paratus

Radley Uber Prepared

Thanks for all the advice, I know what everyone is saying and I am going to give it a try as its not expensive. I will get the max versi but will use it as an experience, I know that quality manufacturers make quality products and lets face it, it always shows, but I'm willing to give it a go and will let the post know what I think , thanks again. More posts are always welcome

10. CanvasNBrass

CanvasNBrass Loaded Pockets

I've had some second rate knock off bags and pouches last forever. Others I've had not last more than a few weeks. Judging by the picture that bag by Kombat UK might be fairly decent.

11. Jon O

Jon O Loaded Pockets

If you do go for it, let the forums know what the result is, so we can get an idea if others ask :)

For my money I would go for the Maxpedition, quality hard wearing stuff.

12. MedusaOblongata

MedusaOblongata Loaded Pockets

I'd suggest looking for a similar bag that's ambidextrous. I have a MaxP Jumbo, and I've wished many times I could switch it to the other shoulder, but it really doesn't sit comfortably on the other side. The weight can get uncomfortable on one shoulder after a few miles if you can't switch it around.
    Cost is always an issue, search eBay, Amazon, and forums for used or discounted bags; if you're patient and diligent, you might find what you really want at an affordable price.