1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Advice needed about flashlight setup

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by Sabbel, May 19, 2020.

1. Sabbel

Sabbel Empty Pockets

Hi Everyone

After my pockets had the tendency to become more and more full, I have decided to cut down on what I carried around with me. Things tarted to be a little.... scary when I was looking down at my cargo pockets.

I now have things trimmed down quite a bit, but there is one thing where I really cant make up my mind and thats my flashlight setup.

This is for my tier one gear on my person, everything else is already set.

I currently have available (for this purpose) three Olights (M1T, I5T and I3T) and two Surefires ( Backup MV and G2Z MV).

Everything else has already either been assigned a different role, or has been selected out for various reasons.

I want to cut this down to two lights on my person, but I cant really decide which ones they are going to be.

This is purely for civillian carry. During my dayjob as a pilot and my volunteerwork with the german federal agency for technical relief (frack, thats one hell of a name in english) I am set up and this kind of carry is either impractical (pilot because of the darn uniform) or simply not right (volunteertime, with lots of equipment available anyways and pocket carry not feasible for safety reasons).

So, which two should I carry. I would love to hear your thoughts on the matter (if possible including your reason for saying so).

Thank you all in advance.

2. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

I am not sure I can picture how anyone else can help you with what is really a completely subjective decision here while we have almost no idea what you mean at all?

We don't know what else you carry or why or how and we don't know what you need to do with a light.
    We don't know the pocket situation or other limitations on your ability to carry either except that you say you have already narrowed down the choices to the ones you list for reasons that we also don't know.

It really doesn't matter either,only you need to be able to make this work.

I think you should carry whichever lights actually fit your pockets and that you feel are reliable and go with that unless or until you decide it isn't working and you find something else.

I find that I can not really work at all unless I have reliable light with me and so my only requirements are that I can have that.

I carry a Zebra SC64w clipped to the front right pocket because it runs much longer than the SC52w that I had there before. Yes it can be a pain to carry and is in the way more ut it also is ALWAYS ready when I need it and I have been carrying a ZL for many years and not had any issues at all and I trust them. I also find the ZL to give the most runtime and output for the size and no matter how impractical carrying it might be it is still more practical than not carrying it at all.

Then I carry a second one too in the left side Rule pocket of the Carpenter Jeans that I pretty much wear all the time.

2 is 1 especially if you need the backup for whatever reason.

I have many other lights too but this is my choice and it works for me.

3. RogerStenning

RogerStenning EDC Junkie

I regularly wear 5.11 trousers; these have a pistol magazine pouch on the front left upper leg, that I repurposed for my Olight M1X Striker; a similar length torch (flashlight) will fit in there, and it's a handy way of carrying the light regularly. I never go out without a torch, and that's my go-to light. If you don't have a pouch like that on your cargo trousers, then maybe a belt pouch for a pistol magazine that can take the torch instead, might be the solution?

4. Sabbel

Sabbel Empty Pockets

Thank you both for your reply.

@RogerStenning: I do wear 5.11 on occasion (mostly Apex pants; other than that I just wear whatever cargo pants german stores provide in decent quality, like Fjäll Räven, North Face etc.) and I usually carry my flashlights cliped inside the leg pocket on the right side, together with a wallet and a BUFF.

I never leave the house without a flashlight and a spare (and a bunch of other stuff). Unfortunately things have gone a little our of hand with my EDC and I was feeling like I was carrying a truckload of stuff i never used, so I really cut it back to the things I actually need. (Also to make the leg pockets bulge out less)

Belt carry is generally not an option, as I want to avoid to look like I am a police officer carrying around all his tactical stuff. It makes people pay attention to me and I try to avoid that. (Which is also the reason why I prefer not to wear 5.11 all the time. Many people in Germany walk around in "outdoorsy" clothing in their spare time, so brands like North Face do not really draw attention as they are a common sight.)

I like to carry one for CR123 batteries, because they are generally quite powerfull. I was thinking that one for AA or AAA is an option, as these are really easy to get by.
    There is no special use for my flashlights in my spare time, they are general purpose and "having is better then needing".
    I have been carrying larger lights with 18650 batteries in the past, but I have stopped that for the same reason I cut down on my edc. They provide no real extra value for me, so I mostly use them for my job, as the lights provided by Bombardier and my employer really suck......

Unfortunately I really cant decide which one of the flashlights to carry and was hoping for smart ideas....

RogerStenning likes this.
  5. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

So I am not trying to be a jerk here really but are you telling us that you do not know which of the lights you listed is your favorite and the one you prefer to carry but that you think that we might somehow know this instead?

If you are looking to get something new and based on your comments I would try an Olight S-Mini and if you like it get 2 of them.

I don't know of a smaller and more versatile light that you might forget you are carrying than these and I have tried hard to find one for a long time too!

Along those same lines I would look at the Prometheus Mini which are about the same light really in most ways.

Carryng either of these I would never feel undergunned while having a lot of flexibilty in a tiny package.

ballistic likes this.
  6. RogerStenning

RogerStenning EDC Junkie

OK, I follow your thinking, esp given where you live (I'm in England). I have a second EDC torch, again an Olight, the S1R Baton Mk.1; when I'm in my works uniform (I'm a bus driver, currently on furlough here), I carry that second torch clipped in my left trouser pocket. On the vanishingly small number of times I've forgotten my larger Olight, the S1R has been there for me. SO, no large torch, but a CR123-capable one, and I carry a couple of spare 123s in the EDC bag anyhow.

In short: Go with the smaller clip-on light.

Regards,

Roger

ballistic and EZDog like this.
  7. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

The S1 is almost the same light as the mini and yes might be the perfect inconspicuous light to carry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ballistic likes this.
  8. Sabbel

Sabbel Empty Pockets

Allright, again thanks for your input. I think have searched other places and received answers there as well.

I have made up my mind regarding the answers I received from all these soruces. I will carry the olight I5T and the Surefire Backup MV.

The reason: They use different kinds of batteries, and the AA is so common, they are really easy to get literelly everywhere. The CR123 provides better power, which makes for a more powerfull light.

The Olight I5T will be carried as general purpose light, which is robust and easy to use. The Surefire is the light is really tough, has more power, sustains that power and is generally rather floddy.

They both fit nicely into my pockets and I believe they complement each other rather well for my purposes.

RogerStenning likes this.
  9. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

10. RogerStenning

RogerStenning EDC Junkie

You can get rechargable 123s as well, my Olights use em; there are also effective portable chargers for them that run off a USB-A socket too (I carry just such a charger in my power bank case).

ballistic likes this.
  11. ballistic

ballistic Loaded Pockets

A little late to the discussion but.. EDC an Olight S1 Mini Baton HCRI using a rechargeable CR123, carry in my coin/watch pocket. I typically carry only one flashlight in my first EDC layer (on my person), any additional flashlights (ie larger) are in another layer (bag, outer garment, glovebox) usually close by if needed or as backup. I like the S1 Mini Baton due to the small size but wide range of light output, for me no need for multiple flashlights in layer 1. Call me a minimalist.