1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Advice for fixed blade for EDC bag and camping use.

Discussion in 'Knives' started by frankinaug, Feb 21, 2009.

1. frankinaug

frankinaug Loaded Pockets

Alright guys and gals I am in the market for a fixed blade to toss in my EDC bag (County Comm BOB) and to use for hiking and short (ie 2 day) camping trips. I am willing to spend around 60-80 dollars and I will be buying this online. I do need a sheath with the knife and would greatly prefer it to be kydex. I want this to be a small fixed blade in the neighboorhood of 3 to 5 inches of blade max.

The following two knives interest me at this time, but I am open to others:

Ontario Rat3 1095 with Black sheath
    http://www.chestnutridgeknifeshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=22&products_id=452&osCsid=6951beac807f4b15ba087fd13eb5368b

RAT Izula Neck Knife with sheath
    http://www.chestnutridgeknifeshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=73&products_id=623&osCsid=6951beac807f4b15ba087fd13eb5368b

2. lastxj

lastxj Empty Pockets

I have a carbon KaBar Becker Necker that I like:

http://www.knifeworks.com/kar-barbeckerneckerplainedge.aspx

Sheath isn't kydex, but it's rigid nylon and works well. Your two would be good choices I think, but there are those who would steer you away from Ontario because of their trademark infringement against RAT. I would be among them.

Good luck!

3. carrot

carrot Loaded Pockets

I do not yet have an Izula but the Izula has become very popular and well-liked since its introduction. If you buy from JSBurly's you will be benefitting the forum as proceeds go to paying the server bills.

4. lastxj

lastxj Empty Pockets

While the Boker M-Type is, I'm sure, a good knife as all Daywalker's designs are, the OP was looking for a fixed blade. The Boker SFB, Edit or RNR are the CLB fixed blades I know of, and may be a bit smaller than he's looking for, but worth a look.

5. cptd

cptd Empty Pockets

I recently bought a RAT-3 for my EDC bag. I LOVE IT! HAven't had much need to use it but I seem to keep finding things to cut with it.

CPTD

6. Dane1957

Dane1957 Loaded Pockets

;) I believe the booker is a fixed blade made of 440c ......I like 440c ....most of my knives are made of this.....

7. Exmasonite

Exmasonite Loaded Pockets

i think those are almost 2 different knives... both are great. I have a RAT 3 and it's one of my most favorite knives.

Another one to consider (if you like the izula) is the Boker CLB Edit

not sure if JSB has this one in stock or can get it.

also, look around for the discontinued CRKT fixed falcon. you can see it here

actually, CRKT has some other good knives to look at there, like the dogfish.

8. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

When you say camping. Are you talking about wilderness or more prepared areas. Also there are huge differences in areas that you would be. Two days is not long so bushcraft type stuff is not needed. Funny thing is the times that I have used a knife the least has probably been backpacking. Then again I use a knife frequently not backpacking. This might sound odd coming from someone that now sells knives but in most camping situations much of a knife is not called for but there are exceptions.

Then again if you are going to have it for other things as well you might as well have a good fit for other uses.

9. Splat

Splat Loaded Pockets

I know plenty of guys using Gerber Gators and liking them. IIRC 4" blade and I think they paid around $40. Cheap and decent knife. You could buy 2 for the price of one RC-3. If it was me and I had the $ to blow I'd go for the RC-4 or Ranger Knives RD-4.

10. VT-aroo

VT-aroo Loaded Pockets

Several wilderness schools use the basic Mora. Strong,light, very cost effective.

11. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

I wonder why people here almost never look at various groups such at the APTconference for things like this. The people who cover tons of distance and existing off what they can carry should know a thing or two on the subject. It is a 2160 walking trip. Now as you near towns and parks it gets easier and easier but as you move away from them contrary to what you might think you lose the trail. There is no trail even though it is called one. You can be walking for a very long time before finding civilization (it is getting easier however with each passing year to my disappointment). There are other groups that spend time away from civilization as individuals and they deal with the same issues. They might not go into it thinking survival but seeing things and getting away but they do things each day that are survival things so to speak.

12. FeebleOldMan

FeebleOldMan Loaded Pockets

13. Daywalker
    • In Omnia Paratus

Daywalker EDC Junkie!!!

Aloha frankinaug,

LONG time no see!

Um, I would check THIS out or THIS maybe?

God bless and be safe! :angel:

:laugh:...mahalo Dane1957!

God bless! :angel:

14. yam350

yam350 Loaded Pockets

I like Daywalker's suggestion for the Ka-bar Becker combo, it covers most eventualities for fixed blade and it wouldn't be too difficult to make a separate sheath in order to EDC the utility knife in your bag. When I'm camping I like to have a big knife around and usually have a good working folder of some kind clipped in my pocket, if wilderness or off the beaten track is your thing then the Becker is well worth considering .

15. chute43

chute43 Loaded Pockets

I recently purchased two Izulas , one for me and one for my girlfriend. ounce for ounce a great knife, especially after wrapping with paracord. I work part of the year on forest service helicopters in very remote regions, so ofcourse I have a personal survival kit, and this is going to be added to my kit to replace an older lock blade.

I believe this would serve your knife needs well. I have tons of guys wearing huge unnecessary knives in the outdoors.

kary

16. Dane1957

Dane1957 Loaded Pockets

Daywalker I like the small knife thats what he said he wanted................. I now relize that the booker is a folder, My bad.....

Mahalo is a Hawaiian word meaning thanks, gratitude, admiration, praise, esteem, regards, respects. According to the Pukui and Elbert Hawaiian Dictionary, it is derived from the Proto Polynesian masalo.

The word is of post-contact origin. Lorrin Andrews in his dictionary of 1865 does not have any words for thanks or gratitude. Early visitors noted that the Hawaiians were generous and grateful people, but had no word to express gratitude.

Hello back at ya!!!!!from the cold snowey NT East

17. Aaron SBT

Aaron SBT Empty Pockets

The Izula is an awesome little knife, and I believe it can do pretty much anything large knives can do except chop, but it could always be beaten with a wood baton through whatever you need to chop. The new issue of Tactical Knives has a feature on the Izula and the author Reuben Bolieu used it for hardcore wilderness survival type uses in the Amazon jungle. I've been wearing mine as a neck knife but I'd feel comfortable having it as my only knife on a routine camping trip.
    :cool:

18. Bear the Dog

Bear the Dog Loaded Pockets

Sorry to bring this one back from the dead, but I can definately tell you guys that the Becker Necker, and the RAT Izula are the two best neck knives in the business right now. By the way, I am Reuben, the guy who wrote the Tactical Knives RAT-6/Izula article. I did some big jobs with the small Izula and it really is a work knife. Anyone who has seen the article knows there was some brute work done with the Izula.

-RB

19. dd61999

dd61999 Empty Pockets

I would go with the rat3. The Izula is a great knife, but my hand cramps up when shaving wood for a fire and sometimes I wish the blade was a tad bit bigger. But if you want a compact fixed blade then the Izula is your knife.