1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Advice For a Messenger Style Bag

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by B-Lang, Jul 14, 2015.

1. B-Lang

B-Lang Empty Pockets

So I am a newbie to using a bag for edc. I usually carry a knife, light, etc. on my person, but I now I am in need of a messenger bag (no backpacks). I will be using it every day so it needs to be pretty durable. It does not need to be huge, just big enough to fit a water bottle, a few books, and maybe a few other things. I would prefer some sort of water resistance, but it is not necessary. I am on a budget too, so try to keep price to a minimum. Also, it needs to look non-tacticool. Ill be wearing it when I am dressed up. Which brands and models should I look at?

2. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

Timbuk2 is pretty non tactical. But if $$ are an issue you can search on Amazon.

Personally, I really like my VanQuest Envoy.

3. TrickyVic

TrickyVic Loaded Pockets

I suggest looking at Rickshaw Bagworks. I have their medium Zero Messenger and love it!

fresh eddie fresh likes this.
  4. joelbnyc

joelbnyc Loaded Pockets

I love my small classic timbuk2 black on black messenger. Not exactly dressy but you see people with suits wearing them. Small is over 15" which is pretty standard commuter messenger bag size, medium and large were silly wide for me at 5'10". Durable material, they last for years but not a military spec bag or anything. Lots of pockets and compartments. Affordable price.

dml24 likes this.
  5. moostapha

moostapha Loaded Pockets

Chrome would be my go-to if you want the bike messenger style. They're just hands down better than anything else I've seen for a similar price.

If you want a more formal shoulder bag or the lower mail bag style, is just look at amazon. There are a lot of them, and their reviews are pretty valid.

6. Magic8ball

Magic8ball Loaded Pockets

They aren't true messenger bags, but I've always been a fan of the Mountainsmith Lumbar packs.... most of them range from $50-100 depending on size. Worth taking a look at...

7. Mudinyeri

Mudinyeri Loaded Pockets

8. Ralys

Ralys Loaded Pockets

Non tactical or professional?

9. Skunk Ape

Skunk Ape Loaded Pockets

Clearly budget is a relative term.

10. Rizzle O

Rizzle O Loaded Pockets

Wal-Mart has a straight clone of the 5.11 Rush Delivery Messenger bag for 25 bucks, 75 less than the 5.11 version.

My3kidsfather likes this.
  11. Municipal_Jedi

Municipal_Jedi Loaded Pockets

Check out the Tom Bihn Cafe bags. A small or medium would fit your needs depending on the size of the books. Both sizes are well under a $100, USA made, water resistant and well made. Plus if you let them know you found them on the Forum it helps keep this place going.

12. GQP

GQP Loaded Pockets

I stocked and tested a Skitch-15 for someone else. I added a bottle carrier and admin pouch. Im not the messenger bag type, but I thought this one was pretty cool.

[​IMG]

13. tigz

tigz Loaded Pockets

For non tactical messengers, Timbuk2 gives you a wide range at good quality, design, and reachable price. The TSA friendly laptop messenger and the Command messenger are your best bet. They have quick adjust straps with ample padding for you to stride from commute to bike situations. Rickshaw and Crumpler are also great bags but more pricey and lesser features than the Timbuk. If you bike more, Chrome and Mission Workshop are the best as they are designed to sit high and tight on your back so with lesser structure. The brands are also expensive. Timbuk 2 also holds sales frequently so you can have a bag for less than $100 or something close to it.

rongallant likes this.
  14. tigz

tigz Loaded Pockets

The Skitch is a cross between the MW and Timbuk2 bag with some tactical elements added to it.If only they kept the side pockets.

15. Deanster

Deanster Loaded Pockets

There's a lot of great messengers out there, but the reference design, the one everyone and everything else compares to is Timbuk2.

Their medium Classic Messenger is IMHO the best all-around messenger design out there. There's other bags that are better for specific uses/preferences, of course, but just like the North Face Recon is a daypack that you could hand to just about anyone for just about any use, and it'll do the job satisfactorily, the Timbuk2 Classic Messenger will do the job just fine for 90% of people who want/need a messenger bag.

The all-black Medium Classic Messenger is $78 on Amazon right now, which isn't especially cheap, but for a bomb-proof bag that will almost certainly last you many years of heavy use, it's a great price for the performance and quality.

dml24 likes this.
  16. Claptrap

Claptrap Loaded Pockets

If you want a high quality, minimalist satchel for a great price: check out the Blue Ridge Overland Gear- Oil Bag. Well priced @ $43 and made in USA. I use mine daily.

[​IMG]

Chris97, ParTimeBourne and ran23 like this.
  17. dml24

dml24 Loaded Pockets

I have to agree with joelbnyc, the Timbuk2 small classic messenger bag appears to be a great value at this pricepoint. I have been reading posts for messenger bags for several weeks now. A short list of messenger bags that meet my needs is repsented by the following.

Number 1 on the list; the Timbuk2 small classic messenger.

Number 2; STM swift 13

Number 3; STM Sequel

Considered the Rickshaw bagworks Zero and Commuter series. The Timbuk2 Classic messenger is just a better value for a similar feature set.

Missionworks and Crumpler bags were considered and disqaulified due to the price point, much to high for a value shopper.

One advantage the Timbuk2 Classic Messenger offers is that several local retailers have the bag in stock. Ordering online does not let one have the opportunity for feel and look evaluation.

Bricks and motar stores have some advantages.

18. Skunk Ape

Skunk Ape Loaded Pockets

Let me throw in the LL Bean Messenger Bag. It has a little more organization than some of the others. The build quality is on par with Timbuk2 and they have their famous lifetime warranty.

jpolaski likes this.
  19. 343KD

343KD Loaded Pockets

If you're still looking, TAG (Tactical Assault Gear) has their "Lo-key Attaché" bag on clearance for under $70. It may fit what you're looking for.

I just ordered two

20. dml24

dml24 Loaded Pockets

Just looked for the TAG, no longer available.

rongallant likes this.