1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Advantages of a fountain pen

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by ERCCRE456, Feb 1, 2011.

1. scríbhneoir
    • Administrator

scríbhneoir Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

Must...not...give...in...must...resist...tempta--oh, shoot. I'll look at it tomorrow. So much evil...

2. Black Rose

Black Rose Loaded Pockets

:laugh:

I'm surprised with the number of pens and inks you have that you're not a member of FPN.
    You would have heard about those "evil" sites and others that I won't mention.

3. Cobra 6 Actual
    • +1 Supporter

Cobra 6 Actual Loaded Pockets

Posted this under "Pens" earlier: What about this Schrade Tactical Combo Pen: http://www.uniquetitanium.com/ It's a tactical rollerball pen that can be switched out to a fountain pen. I don't have one so can't comment on it's writing abilities. Anyone got it yet? Looks like it could be interesting ... however, until you actually write with one there's no way to tell if it's any good.

But, more directly on the topic of "Advantages of a Fountain Pen" if this Schrade works out, it would give you the added advantage of switching out the fountain pen whenever you wanted to do so.

4. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

For those who like blue-black ink, I can recommend Waterman. It's the only bottle I keep in the house.

5. scríbhneoir
    • Administrator

Staff Member

The number of pens and inks I have is PRECISELY why I don't join that network. And there are not enough hours in the day. I have visited it a few times, but I can do way too much damage by myself without the added influence of the FPN. The little store on the coast was fine. I couldn't go there very often. The little pen shop in the college town up the road closed, so JetPens was fine until you suggested GPC. I got my February inks yesterday, thanks. Plus, I've had years of collectin'. Antique stores are great for finding bunches of classics that need a little repair, mind you, for next to nothing.

6. ERCCRE456

ERCCRE456 Loaded Pockets

Man, I was looking for something like this! The next pen i want needs to have an extremely strong pocket clip, and I bet that one does. I think that pen only takes cartridges, though, so I think I'll pass. Are there any strong-clipped fp's out there?

Also, I must say that I will make another order at the Goulet pen company. Once the samples arrived, two had opened in transit (both in the same ziplock bag), and I emailed a guy who worked there. He offered to replace the entire contents of the ziplock bag, but I passed and said only the two that leaked needed to be replaced. He said he would chip them out as soon as possible, and I expect them to arrive by the end of the week.

7. Russ Prechtl

Russ Prechtl EDC Junkie!!!!!

Even if it only takes cartridges, you're still in the ball game. Take a cartridge and empty it into the sink. Get yourself a syringe, suck up whatever ink you want out of your favorite ink bottle, and use the syringe to fill the cartridge. Presto! You're in business with whatever ink you want.

8. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

I thought I was the only one who did that.

Yeah, that works well. Just be sure to go very slowly to avoid getting a ton of air bubbles.

9. Black Rose

Nope. Private Reserve even sells cartridge refill kits with two 3 ml syringes and some blunt needles.

You can also get syringes/blunt needles from hobby places.

10. scríbhneoir
    • Administrator

Staff Member

Let's see if this works. Pasted from another thread on a review of the Pilot Petit1:
    Here you go!

Here is the pen broken down (for anyone who may not have one and is interested).
    [​IMG]

Here are the filled and empty cartridges. They come three to a little capsule (will find some use for them, I am sure!) for about 4.95. I washed the empty cartridge out.

[​IMG]

You may have to remove the little sealing disc from the cartridge. It will be inside, and it may just move around and rattle a bit, but it could lodge in a position that would keep you from filling the cartridge or from feeding the nib.

[​IMG]

I used a paper clip to slip in under it and pull it out.

[​IMG]

Here are the tools--ink (today it is Herbin's apple-scented green ink), a syringe, and the empty cartridge. Paper towels may be a good idea, if you become a bit overzealous in your filling speed.

[​IMG]

First, fill the syringe. It will take nearly the entire volume of this particular syringe to fill the cartridge.

[​IMG]

Insert the syringe tip into the cartridge opening and s-l-o-w-l-y press the plunger to fill the cartridge drop by drop. I sort of "aim" the opening of the syringe along the side of the cartridge so that a bubble doesn't form at the opening and let ink run all over the place.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If you do try to fill too fast, a mess will occur as the ink makes a big bubble and the opening and ink just spills over the edge and along the outside of the cartridge--and you get inky fingers.

[​IMG]

All filled up!

[​IMG]

Simply slip it back on the pen and put the pen back together, and you are ready to write.

[​IMG]

This pen originally had the Pilot blue ink in it, but for now, it shall have green...that smells nice to boot.

[​IMG]

I tried to use this same method to refill a cartridge for my daughter's Parker Vector. The opening of the Parker cartridge is too small for this approach--I sport purple fingers; however, I took the needle-tipped cap from my henna applicator, filled it with Private Reserver Tanzanite ink, and gently blew it into the cartridge. Worked fine, but I think I'll see if I can get a syringe with some sort of needle like those used to fill ink cartridges for ink jet printers.

I've not had any leaks in any pen after doing this. It is a snug fit. As long as one doesn't manhandle it too much when taking it on and off the pen nib or when trying to remove the little disc, I'm pretty sure one could refill it repeatedly. Please note that some pens "require" and work better with certain inks, but so far, so good on these. Hope that helps!

Update: I now have syringes with needles that let me refill any cartridge or a Varsity disposable pen. And so many excuses to buy more inks. Yea!

11. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

Mom used to work as a home health-care attendant. One of her client's was diabetic. Those diabetic syringes are ideal for fountain pens. She brought home a few used ones for me with permission from the client, years ago. (Client had no other medical problems, and no diseases.)

As for the Parker Vector . . . Parker used to have a slide converter that they included in some of their other fountain pen lines. It was narrower than their stock twist converter. And the slider definitely works with the Vector fountain pen line. Seen a few of the slider converters on eBay. (Sometimes at outragious prices.)

12. Dougster

Dougster Loaded Pockets

I have several Parker fountain pens with fine to broad nibs and a few non Parkers. I carry them all each day, some have noodlers, some Parker quink, some blue, black and one dark green. I love the variation, the difference it gives my writing with each pen and from ball points. I am a teacher and always write my signature to parents in fountain pen. Don't know why, but it feels good.

13. Russ Prechtl

Russ Prechtl EDC Junkie!!!!!

That IS why, because it feels good!

14. ERCCRE456

ERCCRE456 Loaded Pockets

Well, does anyone know if the "universal converters" that keep popping up on ebay actually work in pens? I might get that pen if they do.
    Also, can anyone recommend a notebook that's good for back pocket carry? Moleskine and other notebooks always get creases in the paper after I sit on them and it's terrible to write of afterward. I con't find a notebook that's small enough that also has a hard cover.

15. Black Rose

The so called universal converters would most likely only work in pens that accept the short or long international cartridges (i.e. the Schmidt K5 converter).

The Sheaffer, Pilot, and Lamy pens we have only accept the proprietary converters for each brand.

16. ERCCRE456

ERCCRE456 Loaded Pockets

Well, I, know that some brands require special converters, but how good do universal conveters work?
    Also, (still unanswered) are there any good hardcover back-pocket friendly notebooks?

17. PBJS II

PBJS II Loaded Pockets

I'm reading old threads. Have a few comments and perhaps a few questions.

I was once somewhat into Fountain Pens but never REALLY into them.

I have two currently. One fairly slim Green Marble with Gold trim made in Taiwan. No other info.
    And a Penatia which I understand to be a Cross brand.

In trying to find ink cartridge I looked at Office Max. They only had two sorts. A five pack of fairly long ones, and a six pack of Cross short ones. The long ones didn't fit (at least the Taiwan pen) so I came home with Cross.

In the Taiwan pen the cartridge does not snap on. I made a gadget that holds it on the nib when the barrel is tight.
    The Penatia will use the Cross with a little bit of mod around the "nose" but I made another gadget to hold it on with the barrel tight.

The Taiwan pen writes every time. The Penatia will be writing and just stop.

I am not sure if I will ever EDC a Fountain Pen, but a Lamy Safari or AllStar will be along when I can afford one.

The Taiwan pen is very near 3/8" at the junction, about 3 1/8 from junction to end and about 5/16" at the small end.

The Penatia is roughly 7/16" at the junction, real close to 3" even long and tapered end at around 5/16"

The empty cartridge that was in the Penatia is 1 1/2" long.The neck is fairly short and a wee bit under 3/16". It's 1/4" just off the neck and gets to 5/16" at the other end. Based on these specs can anyone confidently say what convertor will fit?

I can't REALLY afford to dive off the into the deep end of Fountain Pens. I could see a Preppy chock full of black ink in the fairly near future. Want to do Lamy Safari or AllStar at some later date.

18. mooshi
    • In Omnia Paratus

mooshi Loaded Pockets

Can you post a picture of the cartridge/converter you have, PBJS II?

I love my Preppy, by the way. <3 I've had mine for well over 3 years now and going strong. :) And that's including being thrown into a college student's backpack day in and day out. I've heard of others having problems with their caps and such cracking, thus rendering it nearly useless (since the ink will dry up), but I've had no poblems. Maybe the material has changed since I'd last bought one...

19. FeebleOldMan

FeebleOldMan Loaded Pockets

According to a post on FPN, international converters might fit. I believe those would be the Schmidt K5/K6 depending on your fountain pen. You might find them to be cheaper on Amazon.