1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Advantages of a fountain pen

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by ERCCRE456, Feb 1, 2011.

1. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

Anyone else notice those look a lot like crack vials? I'd be careful EDCing those.

2. ERCCRE456

ERCCRE456 Loaded Pockets

I know where MY next order is going to be!

3. Russ Prechtl

Russ Prechtl EDC Junkie!!!!!

Heads up - be careful with the Mont Blanc Inks! They have pigment particulates in them that clog up nibs pretty rapidly. Most pen stores will tell you to only run Mont Blanc Ink in a Mont Blanc Pen. They recommend inks with smaller pigment particles in other brand pens to avoid clogging.

4. Black Rose

Black Rose Loaded Pockets

Glad I could be of assistance ;D

5. ERCCRE456

ERCCRE456 Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the heads up. I haven't bought any mont blanc ink yet, or any samples from the Goulet Pen Company (Thanks Black Rose, I bought the vials, a noodler's pen, and 10 ink samples). Is there any reason other than the bottle that makes the Mont Blanc ink so expensive? It's the main reason why I haven't bought any. Also, is there a place that sells cheap ink samples other than the goulet pen company? Their selection of brands seems very small, even though they have a lot of inks from those brands.

6. Russ Prechtl

The Mont Blanc name makes the ink so expensive!

7. shrap

shrap Loaded Pockets

I've never heard anything bad (or good, actually) about Mont Blanc ink. I have a bottle of their burgundy ink.

The only ink I remember people giving warnings about was Parker Penman, which is long out of production. I wonder if my two bottles have solidified yet.

8. Eric.So

Eric.So Empty Pockets

I don't thin penman would solidify, but I do remember needing to properly flush after each converter or fill of ink.

Personally, I haven't had many problems with ink. There's only one major issue for me. I'm running out of places to put my ink.

9. P35

P35 Loaded Pockets

none in my opinion...the FP is a relic

10. Black Rose

One day, should you be unfortunate enough to be riddled with arthritis, you will find one very big advantage.

11. ERCCRE456

ERCCRE456 Loaded Pockets

Actually, I noticed that they require much less pressure to write with compared to a ballpoint. The line is much more consistent, too. There are so many more colors of inks you can use in a fountain pen than in a ballpoint, and some write much better than others.

On an unrelated note and to keep this thread going, can anyone recommend some colors of ink I should try? I want to try some blue-black and some black inks, and any other colors that are really interesting.

12. scríbhneoir
    • Administrator

scríbhneoir Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

If you go to the evil site that Black Rose recommended, Goulet Pen Co., and click on the Swab Shop, they have all the colors posted, and then you can order samples. I now await my samples for February, all reds, from the Ink Drop membership. Evil, evil site.

13. Russ Prechtl

If you like blue ink, my favorite is Private Reserve "Lake Placid Blue". It's a vibrant blue.

14. ERCCRE456

ERCCRE456 Loaded Pockets

On the page before this I mentioned that I did make an order there, and ordered 10 ink samples. I can understand why you didn't read it, this tread is getting pretty long. I probably should have ordered more, but I'm in high school and my bank account is limited. Also, my samples should arrive tomorrow! I'm pretty excited!

It looks like a very vibrant blue. Have you tried the american blue? Is it any more vibrant?

15. scríbhneoir
    • Administrator

Staff Member

Oh, trust me, I read the entire thread. More than once, heh, heh. ;D You asked for recommendations of colors, and to me, color choice is completely in the eye of the beholder. I suggested you go back to the site to view the ink samples to see what you might want to try in addition to what you ordered because I look at the ink "swatches" to see what I would like to try. A blue I recommend may not be the blue that appeals to you. Someone mentioned PR Lake Placid blue; I use PR Tanzanite, and I'm a fan of both the Waterman blue and black inks. If I were just starting out with a fountain pen, I'd be interested to know which brands of inks have worked well for folks. I've used Waterman, Sheaffer, Lamy, Private Reserve, Noodler's, Parker and J. Herbin. To date, I've not found any I didn't like ink-wise, and most are true to the color I expected. When I look at the color charts, though, I can determine right off the bat which do not appeal to me, and then I can narrow it down. It's very addictive. I probably have about 50 pens now, nearly two dozen inks, but I can use only one pen at a time, dang it! :laugh:

16. Black Rose

I can't really recommend much in the way of ink colours at the moment, as I am fairly new to fountain pens myself.

I have been mainly using Parker Quink Blue Black, which I really like - seems mostly blue with a touch of black to make it a darker blue.
    My order of Parker Quink Permanent Blue arrived from the UK last week (it's not sold in North America for some unknown reason) so I'm giving that a spin in one of my Pilot 78G pens now.

And I've got some samples coming from Goulet Pen; most are for my wife, with a couple for me.

17. Maroonandwhite

Maroonandwhite Loaded Pockets

The best way to feed your Noodler's ink addiction is through Swisher pens. For the non-limited edition colors, the price drops to like $8.50 a bottle if you buy two or more bottles, which is a huge savings. As I stated in an earlier post, my favorites are Walnut and Zhivago. Those are great, great masculine everyday ink colors. My favorite blues are Ottoman Azure and Navajo Turqoise, darker and lighter, respectively. If you really want to go crazy, try Baystate Blue. It requires a little more TLC than the other Noodler's ink, but there's nothing like it colorwise. Seriously, try replicating Baystate Blue with a ballpoint you fountain pen haters!

I've tried to like J. Herbin inks, and I frankly just find them boring. With the exception of Perle Noire, which is my favorite black ink.

Regarding Blue-Blacks, they are an interesting subject. They are particularly interesting/historic because that's the color that inks using an iron gall recipe produces, and these inks were a huge step forward and popular for centuries. One of the most true to that history is Montblanc Blue-Black, since it uses a true iron gall recipe. This can be a little more destructive/troublesome to pens, hence the Montblanc ink reputation discussed above. However, I think their other non-iron gall inks don't have this issue, and there are many fans of their Burgundy and British Racing Green. I'm currently using a Noodler's blue-black (Aircorps Blue Black), which is a nice example of this shade as well.

If you want to really get addicted, track down some Pilot Iroshizuku ink. Amazing Colors and performance, and the best ink bottle currently available IMO-- a work of art for your desk!

18. scríbhneoir
    • Administrator

Staff Member

And there you have it –– why the sample inks are the way to go! You can try before you buy. I was looking for a true red for my pens for proofing, and J. Herbin's "Rouge Caroubier" is exactly it (that one's too pink, that one's too blue, that one's too light, that one's too bright...). I ordered it from JetPens, before Black Rose shared the evil site. And for fun a few years ago, I purchased the scented green ink from them (green apple). I'm quite happy with them, and am intrigued by their 1670...it is a matter of personal preference. I could tell someone who asked why I like it, but I don't know that I would "recommend" any ink colors.

19. Eric.So

Eric.So Empty Pockets

I can also suggest the Pear Tree Pen company - they have a very nice selection of Roher and Klinger inks (only place where I've ever found that brand) and they offer samples at 4.99 each + shipping. Though I do remember something about only allowing you to purchase samples once a month or something.

20. ERCCRE456

ERCCRE456 Loaded Pockets

My samples and pen arrived today! I must say, the Noodler's ink pen doesn't look small, but feels small in the hand, and I have no idea why.

Oh, I agree. That was one of the colors I ordered a sample of, and I have never seen writing in such a bright color before. It's so bright, it almost looks purple, but it's actually a really light blue.