1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Advanced First Aid Training?

Discussion in 'First Aid Station' started by GrayShadows, Jan 20, 2011.

1. GrayShadows

GrayShadows Loaded Pockets

Hi guys and girls, hope everyone is well. I am looking to expand my knowledge in First Aid. I have been certified by the American Red Cross for First Aid and CPR for the last 24 years and feel that I need to learn more. I want to be trained beyond basic skill levels. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thank you for the help.

I actually found my own answer. Looks like I will be taking a First Responder course at a local college. :)

2. mta5888

mta5888 Loaded Pockets

Take EMT-Basic level. I didn't find Responder when I took it very useful and most EMT programs now have mushed together the Responder and EMT-B class into one now. If you got the time and drive taking Basic is really fun! And it's enough training to get you on a volunteer service or if you don't want to it's a full bit of training. You learn all the life saving bits without having to learn everything about meds and tougher things that an average lay person can't do anyways.

3. cap6888
    • In Omnia Paratus

cap6888 Loaded Pockets

If you are going to take the time to take a "real course" take EMT. It will give you a much broader base to start with. Then take a wilderness course if you want to continue. These two classes will offer good info. If you can, then find a place to volunteer (Rescue Squad or Fire Department that provides EMS. Then you will get the experience that will bring it all together.

4. medic2807

medic2807 Loaded Pockets

I ran the gamut. I started at First Responder, then EMT-Basic, EMT-Defibrillation (back before there were AEDs and you had to use the "paddles"), EMT-Intermediate, Paramedic, and then went to Physician Assistant training. I agree with cap-get your EMT. It is only about 50 more hours than First Responder, and then you will be able to work on an ambulance (and heck, maybe even make some extra $$ to buy gear!) I had a friend of mine who has a PHD in Aerospace Science who took a First Responder course from me. HE LOVED IT! Then, he basically had to repeat that entire course when he took the EMT. Then, he went to paramedic school and is thinking about either Physician Assistant or Med School! So be aware, taking this extra training might "awaken a sleeping giant!" I also agree with cap on finding a place to volunteer-I'm on my 16th year of doing it, and did it when I worked full-time as a paramedic as well. Good for the soul, and a heck of a lot of fun. Services are so starved for volunteers it is scary. We need you, man!

5. greyhound352

greyhound352 Loaded Pockets

6. Claren

Claren Loaded Pockets

If you have the money, the NOLS course is top-notch; it's how I got my EMT-B, initially.

If you're gonna shell out the dough, might as well get your EMT over your WFR.

7. tower
    • In Omnia Paratus

tower Loaded Pockets

You can combine a lot of that by taking the NSP OEC (Outdoor Emergency Care) course. I am an Instructor trainer (I teach Instructors). Right now, the closest course we have to you is in New Hampshire starting on August 21st. But we have new courses opening up all over the country very often. Thia could potentially save you a great deal in cost. PM me for more info.

http://www.nsp.org/about/nsp_programs/oec.aspx

8. curlyfry562

curlyfry562 Loaded Pockets

+1 on NOLS WMI. I took their Wilderness First Aid Course a few weeks ago and loved it. The instructors are amazing and the work is hands on, half the time is spent in the class room and half of the time is spent outside running scenarios.

Here is the Link for there Wilderness Medicine Institute:
    http://www.nols.edu/wmi/

Planning on enrolling in Wilderness First responder this winter. Will let you guys know how it goes

9. GrayShadows

So it's been a few months and thought Id chime in on how I am doing. Currently I am holding a High B average and have my final written exam tomorrow for my EMT-B course. After this I have to take the state practical and then the written and I'll be certified.

I am a bit nervous as the last 2 exams I scored lower than my first 2. I definitely recommend the course. Even my wife is thinking of tanking one now as I pointed out what do you do if I'm not around? I.e. shes traveling for work etc etc.

10. GrayShadows

Passed my Final written exam and passed the class with a high B. I am very excited to challenge the state exam.

11. aphex2k

aphex2k Loaded Pockets

I've done BSL, ASL and MALS (Basic, Advanced and Modified advanced) and yearly updates. Thankfully I've not needed to use it. Or anything other than basic first aid.

GrayShadows - congrats on passing! Feel proud with your achievement sir!

12. Zatx

Zatx Loaded Pockets

Congrats to you. I was in your shoes just a few months ago. I wouldn't want to do that Practical skills day over ever again (but know I will when I go on to bigger things). I was a nervous wreck because I'm always harder on myself than the evaluator is. But once you walk through the door and given your scenario your training and practice will kick in.