1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Admin\gear bag for the fire service

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by lodi781, Dec 9, 2014.

1. lodi781

lodi781 Loaded Pockets

Hi all,

I haven't been posting on here lately, but I always snoop around to see what's new and what people are into. I am looking for a bag, but nothing seems to fit quite right, and i'm hoping someone here can help.

I'm looking for an admin\xtra gear bag for work. I'm a firefighter, and have recently become an acting lieutenant. I need a good bag that can hold pens and small little notebooks, a few hazmat and terrorism guides, as well as some extra gear I wouldn't carry in my turnout coat, i.e. extrication gloves\glasses. An extra pair of firefighting gloves and a hood. A water bottle, some cliff bars. Cold winter hat and balaclava etc.

I'm hoping there are a few FD guys on here that might be able to help a brother out. I've looked all over and all the bags I find are almost there but no quite. Any suggestions? All are welcomed and appreciated!!

2. GatorMedic

GatorMedic Loaded Pockets

A few firefighters have bought a 5.11 Rush 12 after seeing mine. They are all extremely happy with their purchase as am I. I keep one of my Rush 12s in the ambulance with misc gear I don't want to keep in my pockets (state protocol book, ACLS & PALS quick guides, protein bar, extra stethoscope, extra pen lights & O2 wrenches, spare uniform shirt, headache meds, extra pens, notebook, etc) and my other Rush 12 stays at the station while on duty with iPad, book, etc. So obviously I recommend that or any others out of 5.11's line like the Moab10.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

lodi781 likes this.
  3. Chiles

Chiles Loaded Pockets

I use things in the scope/size of a Rush 12 or Camelbak HAWG for going around the Fire/Ambulance houses, depending where I'm working that day.

DeepBlue and lodi781 like this.
  4. Heavyduti

Heavyduti Banned

Just for fire-fun take a look at the Fr area on the Mystery Ranch website exclusively for fire-rescue.

Keep putting the wet stuff on the red stuff... (Hope I got that right!)

5. lodi781

lodi781 Loaded Pockets

Gator- Can you post pics so I can see your set up? Right now i'm just using some cheap husky bag and its just one big hole and everything gets wrecked in there.

6. GatorMedic

GatorMedic Loaded Pockets

Pics of my bags, the features, or my load-out? Let me know what you are looking for and I'll grab some pics for you by Thursday night

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

7. lodi781

lodi781 Loaded Pockets

The load out would be nice. I have a moab ten at home I use as a range bag, and I like 5.11 bags, but I was originally looking for something that was really organized. The 12 seems to be just a larger version of the moab 10, but i'd be curious to see how it works for you. Maybe i'll change my idea of what type of bag I want.

8. KMAC179

KMAC179 Loaded Pockets

My duty bag working on an ambulance is a big north eastern city for 10 years was a Maxpedition Operator Atache. I think it will fit your needs perfectly.

lodi781 likes this.
  9. spunky2268

spunky2268 Empty Pockets

I kept all my stuff for the firehouse and the ED together, as I could use the stuff at either location, plus I carried items I might need but might not have at either place. I used a LA Rescue Out of County bag. For organization, I used a Colorado Cases pouch for my vascular access stuff (for IV ultrasound items and specialty catheters) and a couple small Lock-n-Lock boxes. Plenty of room left over for a job shirt, extra scrubs, some US&R items, etc. It held up very well, but I retired it for something a little more compact. Along the lines KMAC179 mentioned, I also have a Maxpedition MPB which I use for my overlanding stuff (maps, journals, writin' sticks, etc.) and something like that might fit your bill.

lodi781 likes this.
  10. lodi781

lodi781 Loaded Pockets

@ KMAC- I plan to keep this up in the seat with me, and I was looking at that bag and the last resort. When i'm riding backwards I have plenty of room but up front things get a little tight. Is it a fairly manageable size?

11. steeps

steeps Loaded Pockets

lodi781 - could you post a few pics of everything you're trying to fit in your new bag? If you have an iPhone use Tapatalk, it's the easiest way to post pics.

12. lodi781

lodi781 Loaded Pockets

I just got off shift, I'll post some up on thurs for you guys. I should have thought about that earlier.....makes sense

13. TheKojack
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

TheKojack Loaded Pockets

I generally only carry a spare set of clothes (also extra gloves, and a 2nd hood), especially when things get cold or if I have to out of the city for mutual-aid so I just use a plain backpack. It wouldn't be a bad idea to get everything consolidated and have a single bag for all of my extra "stuff". I stay in the back of the engine so I don't have to worry about the cramped quarters of the officers seat. I get why you want to get the right bag for the job as it's tough enough to get the pack on up there and space is definitely limited.

14. lodi781

lodi781 Loaded Pockets

This will be stuff i will use on calls, if I have to travel out to another house that day, I just use a big ems duffel I got on sale and throw clothes, soap and toothpaste in there....I'll post up some pics tonite....

15. TheKojack
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

TheKojack Loaded Pockets

I get that. When I say mutual aid, I mean when I get called as another engine company to a different district outside of my city for a large-scale alarm. I keep a general bag with spare clothes, gloves and a hood; not for details but if I get wet or contaminated and it's cold I want to be able to change. I see what you're saying about having a HAZMAT guide book etc on hand. I'm curious to see if guys have pictures of what they have packed out for a "rig bag". I'd like to get ideas to keep my spare clothes, extra chocks, tools etc. in one bag but separated in different compartments/pockets instead of the 2 bags I currently have. (backpack and tool bag)

16. lodi781

lodi781 Loaded Pockets

It's a bad pic but you guys get the hint. it's missing the extra set of fire gloves, my ERG and response to terrorism guide. Water bottle too.
    [​IMG]

Last edited by lodi781, Dec 10, 2014
    DannyX likes this.
  17. DannyX

DannyX Loaded Pockets

What kind of gloves are those? I am in the middle of putting together an emergency car bag, firefighter gloves sound good for that purpose...

18. lodi781

lodi781 Loaded Pockets

They're mechanic wear oil rigger gloves. They aren't structural ff gloves. I use them for light extracation and when I drive. We have those folding wheel chocks and I got sick of having my fingers pinched every time I pulled one out.

19. KMAC179

KMAC179 Loaded Pockets

There are 3 sizes, the one I carried was pretty big but I had lots of room, the smallest is not too big, MaxPed has pictures of the bags being carried on their website. I have spend time in the front of a fire truck, not sure if it would fit, depending on how the truck is configured

Other option would be a 5.11 MOAB 10. Takes up much less space, will still fit everything (not as neatly).

20. traildigger

traildigger Loaded Pockets

Lodi, I use a JTech Operation Irene backpack. They call it the Jar Head Assault backpack now. I picked it up a few years back on a black friday deal and got it for a steal. They're still only about $100. Not super heavy duty like the MaxP stuff, but has held up on the truck for 3 years now. It's a fairly small backpack, but I'm able to stuff an extra t shirt, sweatshirt, wool socks, extra fire gloves, extra hood, beanie, and hand warmers in the main compartment. Tiny front zipper houses a crazy glue. Medium front has a couple folding spanners, a multi tool, pens, CR123's, and a couple chem lights. Small top pocket has some cliff bars. One side pocket has extra nitrile gloves and other has some excedrine, eye drops, and MSA wipes for my mask.

Anyway, let us know what you come up with. Maybe we're all doing it wrong. lol

EDIT:
    maybe I should'nt put this here, so admin....slap my hand if needed.. Anyway, along the note of a MOAB 10 from KMAC..I have a MaxP Malaga in Foliage green that I don't use. Just sayin. Maybe that would work for ya? It would surely fit everything in your picture.