1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Additives for Increasing Clothing Water-Repellency

Discussion in 'EDC Clothing' started by SOS24, Jan 8, 2018.

1. SOS24

SOS24 Loaded Pockets

I know different products exist that you can spray-on, soak in, rub on clothes to try making them more water-repellant, but I am not real informed about them.

Does anyone have any experience with these products and know which ones work and don’t work?

I am really looking for using it with some fleece socks that are worn with sandals during wet conditions.

The only products I have any experience with are sno-seal and kiwi camp dry spray-on. The sno-seal works great on boots, but because of it being a thick paste I think it would be difficult to apply on clothing. The Camp Dry is better than nothing but not great, which may have to do with being a spray-on.

2. Tallboyjim

Tallboyjim Loaded Pockets

Nikwax is pretty much the go-to brand for keeping waterproof stuff waterproof after/during washing in the UK. They do a few different products depending on the application.

But have you thought of sealskin socks instead?

3. lnytunes

lnytunes Loaded Pockets

I've used Otter Wax. I used a method where you rubbed it on the clothing and then with a hot gun melted the paste into the fibers. I've also seen people who pre-melt the wax and brush it on.

4. Kris

Kris Loaded Pockets

Sounds like Sealskinz socks are exactly what you need

Rescueme likes this.
  5. Blackheart

Blackheart Loaded Pockets

I tried the Camp Dry on a jacket once. Followed the instructions to the letter, used up the whole spray can. After wearing the jacket for a few weeks, it was like I hadn't done anything to it at all (not at all waterproof).

I had no idea Nikwax made so many products. Last year I bought a pair of mittens with a leather outer shell. They came with 2 packets of Nikwax Waterproofing Wax for Leather. Followed the instructions: "Put on mittens. Squeeze out packets of wax onto mittens. Rub hands together to distribute the wax." Turned out kinda' blotchy. I should try heating them up with a hair dryer and see if I couldn't get a more even coverage.

6. SOS24

SOS24 Loaded Pockets

Unfortunately, Sealskinz nor any of the other waterproof sock manufacturers make split toe (tabi) socks, which is what I would need. I thought of trying a pair of neoprene split toe surf socks but many of them have rubberized soles.

I didn’t either. I had only seen a couple of different ones. They list one specifically for fleece that I may try.

#6 SOS24, Jan 9, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
  7. karlito

karlito Loaded Pockets

It sounds like you are in cold wet conditions, based on the fleece socks. Why would you wear sandals as opposed to enclosed truly waterproof footwear?

8. Blackheart

Blackheart Loaded Pockets

Franciscan monk?

(just kidding, they don't wear socks even in winter)

(Things I Did Not Know: You can get your very own Franciscan Monk Action Figure!)

9. NorthernHarrier

NorthernHarrier Loaded Pockets

I just bought a bottle of the product made by 303 for fabrics that don’t start out water-resistant. It seems to get somewhat better reviews than some others, and it isn’t known for leaving residue.

I haven’t tried it yet because I don’t yet have the jacket on which I intend to apply the product. I’ll try to report here after I try the product.

SOS24 likes this.
  10. SOS24

SOS24 Loaded Pockets

After 20+yrs in the Navy wearing steel toed boots sometimes all the time, I have foot issues where I find real shoes extremely uncomfortable and just prefer sandals.

11. SOS24

SOS24 Loaded Pockets

I was able to find a pair of split toe neoprene boots that are heat reflective and water resistant figuring they will work better than the fleece.