1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Adding carry handle to Vizm First Responder Bag

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by Blue_cat_333, Apr 6, 2020.

1. Blue_cat_333

Blue_cat_333 Loaded Pockets

I bought a Vizm First Responder bag a few months ago. I carry it often for EDC, primarily for work but a lot of time just here and there.

One of the biggest drawbacks to the bag is the lack of a carry handle. Pockets are greats, organization is great, overall size is great - for the cost it is a great bag. The lack of a carry handle is the only issue I have.

I have seen some people add carry handles between the two D-rings on the top of the bag but that seems like it creates a potential for failure as that will put the weight of the bag pulling on the zipper around the main pocket.

So, what I’m looking for is pictures of your First Responder bag and the carry handles you have added. Even if you are utilizing the D-rings, I’d like to see pictures and know if you’ve had any issues.

2. Sentinel-14

Sentinel-14 Loaded Pockets

I dont have any photos for you, but this isn't hard to imagine.

I used to carry this same bag (prior to it wearing out) and simply clipped a large 3" non-climbing carabiner through the two d-rings and it worked well enough for a grab handle. I never really carried the bag by the biner though, it was more just an easy grab point to move it around in my truck. If you tried to carry it that way with a reasonable amount of weight in the bag it will put some strain on the zipper, yes, but it's actually more likely that the fabric to the side of the zipper will rip and fail first. My bag showed a fair amount of wear on the fabric above that compartment, though I attribute this more to general wear and age than to damage caused by the carabiner grab handle because, again, I rarely carried it by the biner.

If you carry your bag every day as I did mine, with a similar amount of stuff/weight, you can expect to get probably 2-3 years out of it before it'll need to be replaced. It's too bad Maxpedition discontinued the Colossus, which VISM's bag is a clone of. Maxped uses heavier nylon and generally has better stitching, at least in my experience. More expensive, yes, but worth it. My fatboy was carried every day for over 3 years and the only reason I stopped using it was the need for a larger bag: it's still as good to go as the day I bought it. Can't say that for my VISM bag.

Blue_cat_333 likes this.
  3. GoBliNuke

GoBliNuke Loaded Pockets

Blue_cat_333 likes this.
  4. jemhouston

jemhouston Loaded Pockets

I've made grab handles using snap hooks and para-cord. Use a tight weave, they work well.

Blue_cat_333 likes this.
  5. HMBdave

HMBdave Empty Pockets

I used this method exactly and while I don't use it everyday it has held up surprisingly well. The badg as a whole has actually done very well, I've had it and used it one and off for maybe 6-7 years. Only just recently changed to a hip-pack/fannypack.

twin63 and GoBliNuke like this.
  6. Blue_cat_333

Blue_cat_333 Loaded Pockets

I am sad to report that I had to retire this bag shortly after my original post. While the bag stood up for several months of daily carry and associated abuse, it did not survive an afternoon with our blue healer dog. LOL The dog shredded the padded back panel and put some pretty good tears in the webbing on one side. Thankfully all the contents were spared major damage, just a few minor dents and dings.

I have moved back in my 5.11 MOAB 6 with the modified carry strap. Not quite as roomy but nice to be sporting the 5.11 bag again.

twin63 likes this.