1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Added hand sanitizer to EDC

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by Exmasonite, Feb 29, 2020.

1. rodia77

rodia77 Loaded Pockets

Same. Plus I've always kept a larger dispenser bottle on my office desk.

I feel like the world is finally catching up with my (common sense!) hygiene precautions.

charlie fox likes this.
  2. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

I can try to answer with these points:

1) not only in Japan, but in much of Asia including China, both Koreas, HK, Taiwan, Singapore people have worn masks for three primary reasons before this pandemic: dusty conditions (common for example in Northern China around Beijing; excess pollution (thinking they can screen it out), and in winter to warm the air they breath (much as folks in US, Canada, Europe) might wear a scarf covering mouth and nose in winter.

2) During periods of high seasonal flu, they would also wear masks for much the same reason as with COVID-19.

3) In terms of first responders (EMT, ER staff, etc) as well as anyone else who might render first aid or other medical procedures: many procedures such as intubation can often result in a mist of bodily fluids etc emerging from the patient. Masks are useful to prevent the droplets etc from such. You may also have noticed dental staff wearing masks; partly this is so they do not contaminate the patient; partly so that during procedures such as drilling the staff are protected from bone chips, bodily substances, etc.

I suspect that it is not primarily the mask wearing in those countries that is the key factor. I believe it is cumulative based on intense testing; a culture of social compliance vs the social independence of US and many other wester societies, and yes a strong strong emphasis on personal hygiene.

The above is partly based on personal experience and partly based on my own subjective impressions. I am NOT an expert so I may be off the mark to varied degrees...

Am Yisrael Chai!

Moshe ben David

3. Moshe ben David

I've had a small bottle in my edc bag and in my car for years. Spent about 6 years in sales related to home remodeling etc. Couldn't wait to use sanitizer after leaving many of the homes... Also kept bottles of rubbing alcohol to clean/sanitize some of my tools and measuring gear!

Am Yisrael Chai!

Moshe ben David

FiaOlleDog, GRH and charlie fox like this.
  4. Weko

Weko Loaded Pockets

" I also carry a cut down bar of soap for those times when a public bathroom doesn't have any. "

Having brought home the little bars from hotels I've stayed at, I've been carrying those in a small Ziploc bag
    In addition to individual wipes and a small container of alcohol based sanitizer. Keep in mind there are non-alcohol based sanitizers out there

FiaOlleDog, GRH and charlie fox like this.
  5. Moshe ben David

Yes, there are non-alcohol based sanitizers. I've not seen anything to indicate that those are considered effective against the COVID-19 virus however. If anyone has and can share that info I'm sure it would be a welcome addition to our arsenal!

Am Yisrael Chai!
    Moshe ben David

neo71665 likes this.
  6. neo71665

neo71665 Loaded Pockets

Last w

Last word I got from my fire dept was only alcohol based with at least 60% ethanol or 70% isopropanol was effective. That most likely was out of date by the time it reached our small town volunteer dept tho.

7. Moshe ben David

I'm still seeing the same percentages from multiple sources. No doubt in part a result of knowing so little at this time about the specific coronavirus causing COVID-19...

Am Yisrael Chai!

Moshe ben David

8. neo71665

neo71665 Loaded Pockets

Well most of the info is still coming from the CDC. I'm not a conspiracist but I only trust the government less than it takes me to finish this sentence.

9. Moshe ben David

So far the academic researchers are also not on one page; same with international sources.

Am Yisrael Chai!

Moshe ben David

neo71665 and Captdave13 like this.