1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Added hand sanitizer to EDC

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by Exmasonite, Feb 29, 2020.

1. Exmasonite

Exmasonite Loaded Pockets

Hey everybody. Just wanted to throw this out there... I keep things pretty light. As an American suburbanite, I typically will always keep a small folding knife, flashlight on me at all times. 1/2 the time I have a multi-tool and subcompact firearm on my person.

This week, I did add a small 1 oz container of my purell with a small carabiner to my daily roll out to be prudent. Probably should have been there for awhile given normal flu, etc but I guess it took something like this to get on my radar. I try to wash my hands fairly often but hoping the presence of this will ratchet up my vigilance.

Any thoughts? I have multiple appointments a day and am shaking hands constantly. Wondering if hand shakes and other social conventions are going to fall by the wayside. Thanks.

PragmaticMurphyist likes this.
  2. SOS24

SOS24 Loaded Pockets

I always edc some individually wrapped antibacterial wipes. K also have a pack off antibacterial wipes in my vehicle. I use a bandana to open public doors. To me it just makes sense to be cautious.

3. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

The articles I'm seeing suggest that CDC do not really recommend hand sanitizer; nor the antibacterial wipes. What they are emphasizing is actual washing of hands with an emphasis on at least 20 seconds of washing action. One suggestion has been to time this by singing 'Happy Birthday' to oneself several times (I forget how many; sorry about that!).

@SOS24: you have good intent but the thing is that bandana only has to wipe off some residual viral presence for it to become contaminated itself.

Not to make life even worse, but there appears to be lack of consensus on how long this particular virus can and will survive on surfaces. Most of what I've seen projects the virus can survive on an exposed surface as long as 9 days (yes you read that correct!). About a 7 - 10 days ago I saw an article stating that the Chinese Central Bank had set in place a program to either launder paper money as it came back into the banking system in the normal course of circulation or, if the bill were too old, to incinerate them. The report I saw was on CNN.com; here is the link: https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/17/asia/china-is-disinfecting-cash-coronavirus-intl-hnk-scli/index.html

Take from it what you will.....

Am Yisrael Chai!

Moshe ben David

neo71665 likes this.
  4. neo71665

neo71665 Loaded Pockets

I've carried a germ grenade on me for years and use it but as stated it is no substitute for actually properly washing your hands. I say properly because it seems very few people actually do so.

https://www.cdc.gov/handwashing/when-how-handwashing.html

5. Exmasonite

Exmasonite Loaded Pockets

I dunno... in looking at the CDC site, yes... hand washing is ideal and I agree as a medical professional. That being said, I don't have a sink in my car. I also have some reservations about the cleanliness of community restrooms in general.
    They do say hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol (Purell, etc) is the next best thing.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/about/prevention-treatment.html

6. SOS24

SOS24 Loaded Pockets

You are correct about both the washing hands and the wipes, but when washing hands is not feasible, then the other measures can at least provide some level of protection.

The bandana gets used in such a way that the portion that touches handles is always the same and gets folded inward after without being touched then washed when return home.

Moshe ben David likes this.
  7. Karmakanic

Karmakanic Loaded Pockets

In the UK, for the time being, shaking hands is now viewed as antisocial in most places. . This is due to the Covid - 19 situation.

8. Blitzwing
    • In Omnia Paratus

Blitzwing Loaded Pockets

Being around the Healthcare field we're instructed that hand sanitizer is an acceptable form of disinfection if you can't get to soap and water, but... You should wash your hands as soon as you are able to..

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

9. Tallboyjim

Tallboyjim Loaded Pockets

It wasn’t at the (large) meeting I had last week. And being British if someone offers a hand out, I’ll shake it!

10. Karmakanic

Until Monday this week I would have said exactly the same thing. However, events are beginning to unfold involving close family that have caused me to think twice. I work in London where Covid -19 is spreading like wildfire. We have others to think about.

PragmaticMurphyist and surefire7 like this.
  11. Tallboyjim

Tallboyjim Loaded Pockets

I agree. I’ve been out a couple of times since and kept my distance. Work now effectively cancelled til June so I won’t be seeing anyone outside the house.

surefire7 likes this.
  12. RogerStenning

RogerStenning EDC Junkie

For the present time, I'm EDC-ing both portable soap leaves (example: Life Ventures Soap Leaves) in case liquid soap dispensers are empty, or there isn't a bar of soap available in the places I visit, and a sanitiser gel bottle for when there isn't water available.

13. charlie fox

charlie fox Loaded Pockets

I’ve carried hand sanitizer for years, mostly because I work in the healthcare field.

ran23 likes this.
  14. ran23
    • In Omnia Paratus

ran23 Loaded Pockets

I pulled out all the half full bottles in bags and truck. Some have expired. Added a little alcohol and have a few full bottles now.

15. thegrouch314

thegrouch314 Loaded Pockets

I have a weak immune system so I don't shake hands much anyway but since the first case of COVID-19 in the UK, I haven't shaken anyone's hand. I don't work in business so not shaking hands isn't a big deal for me.

I always carried hand sanitiser anyway but I've made sure I have more. I also carry a cut down bar of soap for those times when a public bathroom doesn't have any.

I wash my hands as much as possible but if there isn't a sink, I'll use the hand sanitiser. Washing with soap and water is still the best but if I'm leaving a supermarket or the chemist, I'll use the hand sanitiser and wash when I get home.
    I haven't had to go out recently but next time I do, I'm gonna start wearing gloves as well as using hand sanitiser.

I also carry tissues so I can open bathroom doors and such if there isn't paper towels.

This might seem like kind of an overreaction to some but I have a weak immune system from having chemotherapy and lung damage as a result of the cancer. I'm also getting over a cold and I'm generally stressed so not at my best. If I caught COVID-19, it would likely hospitalise me.

Moshe ben David and echo victor like this.
  16. Moshe ben David

No mask?

Just curious.

Moshe ben David

17. neo71665

neo71665 Loaded Pockets

The n95 masks everybody going gaga over will not have any effect on stopping anybody from catching it. The only thing that works for that is a full blown respirator that is sealed against your face. The masks only somewhat slows down somebody that already has it from breathing it out and infecting somebody else.

I see too many clowns walking around wearing latex gloves now that have no clue just because you have gloves on doesn't mean a thing when you are still touching everything and then your face with the dirty gloves.

I have ulcerative colitis and on a cocktail of immunity suppressants. I have to pay closer attention to the idiots out there myself. Just glad I live out in the boonies away from everybody.

Last edited by neo71665, Mar 26, 2020
    #17 neo71665, Mar 26, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
  18. Moshe ben David

Bravo! I keep making the same points -- mainly to my spouse -- which is like arguing to a brick wall!

Am Yisrael Chai!

Moshe ben David

neo71665 likes this.
  19. neo71665

neo71665 Loaded Pockets

I'm lucky, my girlfriend and I both are volunteer firefighters and been through hazmat training due to being near a federal arsenal here were we live.

Moshe ben David likes this.
  20. Karmakanic

I wonder about masks. Japanese tourists visiting London have been wearing masks for the past several years. Likewise, it's been said that Japanese people don't do a lot of handshaking or touching in public . Looking at the figures, at the moment at least, Japan appears to have a lower virus transmission rate than other comparable countries.
    Also, if masks are useless, why in many countries are LEOs, responders, soldiers and so on, wearing them at all?