1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Active Shooter College Scenario - Your EDC Choices?

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by Stryker, Dec 7, 2015.

1. mizedog

mizedog Loaded Pockets

Prepare to lead others in an offensive rally.
    Run/Hide/Fight is a good plan. However, so many schools choose to huddle kids in the corner of a classroom hoping the shooter won't enter their room. Once the glass is broken out, and the shooter gets in, he has sitting targets that have put distance between them and the shooter that can't be crossed without serious risk.

I think most adults would be overwhelmed by 30 college students coming at him. I am a proponent of running, hiding, fighting, but if I were in a classroom I would instruct the others on their roles. Here would be my assignments:
    • 3 or more to throw chairs at the attacker (first volley)
    • The rest to be prepared to throw other objects such as books, jackets, backpacks (distracting, obscures targets)
    • 2 to set large objects out of kilter as distractions (tables on ends, jackets hanging from lights, etc.) before the shooter enters
    • 3-4 four brave ones (including me) to physically tackle the attacker as soon as the chairs are thrown, the goal to be getting him down on the ground quickly
    • 2 to run past and get help/ first aid
    • 1 to be ready with binding to tie up the attacker (jacket sleeves, belts, etc.)
    • 2 to call 911 and report classroom location
    I may be hit by bullets, but I'd be falling toward the attacker and would make an opaque block to his field of vision. I will NOT hide in a corner or play dead waiting for the bullets to find me. In the scenario above, no knives, or EDC tools were necessary. Overwhelming force may be the only choice. I feel that if all schools/ churches openly practiced this, shooters would no think of these establishments as such free and easy targets any longer.

camporama and Water-Rat like this.
  2. mizedog

mizedog Loaded Pockets

I agree that a phone is an important tool - after the event is over. There will probably be no time to call before the incident becomes life threatening. Then, the event will most likely be long over before police would arrive. Sadly, it's been proven time and time again.

3. mizedog

mizedog Loaded Pockets

By the way, my 10 year old has active shooter drills at school very frequently. They practice all hiding in a corner together in one lump of bodies and are told to be quiet. My daughter says there are always kids that won't be quiet and would attract a shooter. I don't believe the teacher has a plan to deal with a shooter that gains entrance to the classroom.

As a result, I told my daughter that the chances of her not being shot are nil once a shooter enters the classroom. I gave her permission that if she can tell other classrooms have been breached, she can break the one window and jump out and run to the left or right to get away from the threat. Then, she is to run around the school to watch for police (which will take between 8 to 20 minutes to arrive). She has been told that she can take control of her own safety if the school method doesn't work.

camporama likes this.
  4. mizedog

mizedog Loaded Pockets

Hmmm... CCW isn't available, yet an assailant had a gun. I live (edit: used to live) in Orange County, and counseled gang members, many of them murderers at the age of 11. I'm now in Colorado and am planning to get my CCW. I'm only a few miles from New Life Church and Focus On The Family; both that were attacked. While living in Orange County, I had a guy pull a gun on me while driving. Of course, hitting the breaks and turning got me away quickly (there's an example of the 'Run first' methodology).

Last edited by mizedog, Mar 21, 2016
  5. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Mumbojumboo EDC Junkie!!!!!

Lets, be honest here...teachers are not trained for this. They have drills and practice but they aren't commandos. Hide and wait is the best option not a great one but what are they supposed to do? Almost all doors open out for ease of evacuation. The options are very limited. Many people come up with ideas and such but where does the money come from?

6. mizedog

mizedog Loaded Pockets

I like that laser idea. I know there are a bunch of low quality products out there and would like to know of a higher powered one that is small enough to put on a keychain, or use as a zipper pull. Any suggestions?

7. mizedog

mizedog Loaded Pockets

Er... will research a little more on the laser option. Not sure yet.

I agree with Mumbojumboo that teachers aren't trained to handle/combat an active shooter situation. That much is definitely true. In a perfect world, they should never be expected, or need to be. Unfortunately, schools are still very vulnerable.

So, to the OP, I would say this side of heroics, being prepared to remove yourself, aware of your surroundings, etc. I see three categories that EDC items can apply to:
    1. Avoidance - Phone can give warnings of news reports of active shooter so you would be less likely to blunder unknowingly into a dangerous situation.
    2. Defense/offense - Strong light (maybe laser) to disorient the threat to allow your escape. Contact weapons (tactical pen, backpack, stainless steel water bottle, etc.) to strike back if unable to escape. Maybe something to throw away from you to draw attention aware (rock, or small pill bottle filled with change to make noise?).
    3. Reactive/after event triage - A first aid kit for yourself, and maybe others.

I think a similar conversation could arise about workplace violence and even the threat and reaction to fire.

At work, I help the evacuation team in pointing everyone to the stairs. That works great in drills. However, I also carry a Condor pouch with a few items and take it with me. This won't help with an active shooter, but I do have a small first aid kit, means to label rooms as cleared, snacks, and light. I will also add a handful of cheap keychain fauxton lights to pass out in case there's a fire at night. I know they will want my good flashlight.

Another question I would pose is, what EDC items would you have in case you aren't directly threatened by an active shooter, but are holed up in an area without facilities for hours such as in a hostage situation? Will you keep warm, hydrated, healthy? Will you be able to communicate (gmrs radio)? Can you break a window to escape? Do you have meds you'll need after sitting in a small room for 36 hours? What about toilet paper? This is definitely a challenge due to what one You Tube resource refers to size and weight constraints. I can tell you my Condor pouch is busting at the seams and can't address all of these.

Great discussions. I'd like to hear of some real world accounts.

Last edited by mizedog, Mar 21, 2016
  8. turbo6

turbo6 Loaded Pockets

Your phone and proper footwear seem like the best bet.

There really is nothing you can have on you that is going to trump an active shooter with quite a bit of ammo and perhaps even a few guns.

Perhaps there may be an instance where you see the shooter, he doesn't see you. His gun is jammed and he is slowly fixing the problem, leaving him vulnerable to be subdued.

The shooting of the female congresswoman in Arizona I believe went down similar to that and one way or the other he was taken down and disarmed. However, one could argue that was more of an assassination attempt rather than an aimless spree shooting.

Off the top of my head I can't recall any school shootings that went down that way, more chaos and panic and very rarely any armed opposition to immediately deal with it.

If this is a major concern and you still attend school I'd perhaps review some of the major shootings in America to better get a feel for how the scenario unfolds. With said, it seems quite simply many people managed to escape with their life due to fast moving, being close to exits and sheer luck.

Excalseras, Mumbojumboo and mizedog like this.
  9. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Mumbojumboo EDC Junkie!!!!!

There is about 100,000 public schools in the US. As horrific as it is..... chances are pretty low. Cancer and heart diseases.... now that is a problem. We can 'what if' everything but.... getting people to spend bucks is a hard sell. You are pretty much on your own.

10. tr4022

tr4022 Uber Prepared

Good pair of Nikes. My rationale? Seriously? Dude, there's a frickin' active shooter on campus! I'm outta here!!

11. qkarl

qkarl Loaded Pockets

Glass windows in classrooms are a hell of a lot harder to break than car windows. Plus, they don't shatter when broken. Trying to break out of a window might not be as good an idea as the teacher standing off to the side of the door with a metal baseball bat while everyone else lumps into a ball in the corner.

12. Water-Rat

Water-Rat Loaded Pockets

Even in a college though, a metal baseball bat is not a real legal weapon. But, yeah that's the plan, any adults stand to the side of the door with whatever weapon is handy and everyone else takes cover in the farthest corner.

13. Weko

Weko Loaded Pockets

Often overlooked items
    1. Fire Extinguisher, especially dry chemical. Aim at the head, chemical powder in the eyes hurts, if attacker is wearing eye protection, powder cakes up fast and makes a disruptive field. Empty, the canister makes a mean thrown object.

2. Movable tables pushed into attacker, if it makes contact may cause attacker to fall or drop weapon, if not, creates a barrier.

3. Keys on a well made lanyard. Melee weapon with reach, especially if you have a heavy set of keys. Try it sometime with a heavy set you no longer need, in days gone past, they called it a flail.

4. Flashlight on a paracord loop. With good split rings or direct connection, it works as well as a slungshot

5. Belts on push bars or door handles can be attached to nearby objects to aid in blocking doors, as well as providing a mechanical advantage

I've had a little time to think about this, not to mention having a little experience with each. As someone mentioned before, the best idea is to get out of dodge in that situation but otherwise anything goes.

14. Trespasser

Trespasser Loaded Pockets

Wow, I am feeling fortunate that my CCW allows me to carry on school grounds. Grade school to University is all legal as long as you have a CCW.

It was interesting, after Sandy hook when everyone was screaming to make more gun free zones the state of Utah requested that more teachers carry. CCW trainers offered free courses for teachers and several firearm training facilities invited teachers to participate in Active Shooter Courses.

As Mumbojumbo said they are not commandos but I would rather they be hiding and waiting with a firearm then without.

15. SeanByrdman

SeanByrdman Loaded Pockets

I don't follow the blade length law for the most part at my university (Don't think many of us, especially CAFLS majors, do really) but I'm heading for my dorm and locking the door and putting sofa in front of it. Can't get in via windows so that's good. But on the way or if I can't get there, I'm looking for good cover and/or concealment. I mainly look for foliage that can hide me. Also plan to use the saw on my MT to get a 6+ inch branch of suitable thickness and sharpen the point if worse comes to worse. I need to put my paracord back in my bag too so if I'm in class we can try and tie the door mostly shut. And throw rocks for distractions/damage.