1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Acronyms and Terminology

Discussion in 'FAQs + How To' started by Lunal_Tic, Jun 30, 2006.

1. Highvalleyranch

Highvalleyranch Loaded Pockets

IHA,IMHO,LOL :lolhammer:

2. Lunal_Tic

Lunal_Tic Empty Pockets

Thanks for the recommendations guys.

Anglepoise, R123 is listed.  I've never seen the R-CR123 nomenclature since IIRC the CR part of the number is the mfg ID or generic reference.  e.g. the Duracells are DR-123

Highvalleyranch, I don't know "IHA" but the other 2 are already included under "Forum".

3. Highvalleyranch

Highvalleyranch Loaded Pockets

IHA=I HATE ACRONYMS!

The other day I heard HD LCD TV on the tele, and realized we are fast becoming a nation of acronyms, because of our fast pace society. Maybe it's time to sloooooow down and take some time to speak in english!

4. Lunal_Tic

Lunal_Tic Empty Pockets

:lolhammer:
    I'll include it but somehow I don't think it'll see just a tremendous amount of use here, FWIW YMMV. :p TNSTAAFL tech stuff breeds long annoying names so we compensate. :shrug:

-LT

5. wickidpisa

wickidpisa Empty Pockets

Is SAP and acronym? I had never heard the term before joining EDCF, and by now I understand what one is, but I don't know if sap stands for something, or that's just what one is called.

6. Lunal_Tic

Lunal_Tic Empty Pockets

A "sap" as it is commonly used here is a bludgeon with a short, flexible shaft or strap, used as a hand weapon also sometimes used interchangeably with the term "blackjack."

I'll put it into the list.

-LT

7. AH-CHANH

AH-CHANH Empty Pockets

This is incredible. And VERY easily accessible from anywhere on the site. I'm looking through a thread, see an acronym I don't recognize, go to top of the page, click the link and search. WAH-LAH.

But...I've been seeing references to GID switches for lights, etc. I'm guessing that it's Glow in Dark, but acronym definition page only lists GITD. If GID is the same, might be beneficial to list it as an alternative.

Thx for the work here. Simply amazing.

8. Lunal_Tic

Lunal_Tic Empty Pockets

AH-CHANH,

You make a good point, I've seen GID and GITD both used so I'll add it to the list. Thanks for pointing it out. Glad you find the list useful. ;D

-LT

9. jnathan

jnathan Loaded Pockets

Moderators, can this be made sticky?

I'm new to edcf and I've been looking for a glossary. (It would be helpful to also add glossary to the subject if you do make it sticky).

-Jeff

10. Lunal_Tic

Lunal_Tic Empty Pockets

This had a link at the top of every page until the last software upgrade and it will probably come back at some point. I'm not sure I follow you on the "add glossary to the subject" since it includes both acronyms and terminology related to EDC.

-LT

11. watts242

watts242 Empty Pockets

Hello ...

I am new to the edc forums and the world of collectible gadgets. I recently signed up on this website in order to use it as a research tool in which to bounce questions off of various members (so as to gauge what items are worth investing in, how durable they may or may not be, and any info as to what gadgets are due to be released in the future).

The first question that I have is "What exactly is a cree emitter" ... I see it used in the LED forums and I am not really sure as to what this means. Could someone out there explain the difference between "Cree" and "Non-Cree" for me. It would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time everyone.

watts242

12. tvodrd

tvodrd Empty Pockets

Welcome to EDCF, watts!!!

Larry

13. watts242

watts242 Empty Pockets

Thank you for the welcome Larry. I sincerely appreciate it.

watts242 :)

14. tvodrd

tvodrd Empty Pockets

Hi watts,

I was kind of busy but am back to try and answer your question. Cree is a major manufacturer of the dice (dies) for LEDs- that's the "heart" of a packaged LED. They sell these dice to LED manufactures around the world who package them into finished LEDs which can be soldered into things like VCRs and flashlights.

Cree recently introduced a high-power die which is considerably more efficient than the Lumileds' Luxeon which IMO revolutionized portable lighting (flashlights) ~5 years ago. They also sell the die in a ready-to-use package called the XR-E and flashlight community is all gah-gah! (At least I am!) What it means is I can have the same amount of light for almost twice as long from the same battery or I can have a much brighter light for the same runtime.

Cree is also selling the dice to Seoul Semiconductor who is packaging it into an LED called the P4, which is much closer to the Luxeons in light distribution, which makes for easier "photon management." The Cree XR-E requires a fairly deep reflector for IMO, a decent beam. The aftermarket/custom reflectors available for the Luxeons require only minor modification and there are already custom reflectors available. Surefire is moving to the Seoul P4 in the near future.

Check out candlepower forums for more.

Larry

15. watts242

watts242 Empty Pockets

Larry ...

Thanks for the info pertaining to my question regarding the Cree terminology. I can see where collectors would be excited about the powerful lumenosity output of these new generation of LED's. Thank you ... I learned something new today.

Take care,

watts242 :)

16. The_LED_Museum

The_LED_Museum Empty Pockets

BBS = Be back soon :)

17. greenLED

greenLED Empty Pockets

Thanks, Craig, just added that one.

18. DFiorentino

DFiorentino Empty Pockets

19. Lunal_Tic

Lunal_Tic Empty Pockets

Thanks a bunch DF. :thumbsup: I've linked to your post so that any changes you make don't have to be duplicated here.

Cheers,
    -LT

20. tvodrd

tvodrd Empty Pockets

Awesome, DF! :bow: My info is so scattered and in many formats, and not up to date. Now, if I can just remember where I filed the bookmark! ;D Thanks for the effort and for posting it here- I missed it on CPF.

Larry