1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Accomplishments of Humanity Hour - Tonight!

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by Flight-ER-Doc, Mar 26, 2011.

1. Flight-ER-Doc

Flight-ER-Doc Loaded Pockets

Please join us tonight at 8:30-9:30 (local time) in celebrating the many, varied accomplishments of humanity by turning on every single electric light you can - show the so-called environmentally conscious what mankind can do when given a task, while they sit around in the flickering light of their artisanal hand-dipped candles picking lice off of each other. And please be assured, that your lights will add less pollution to the world than their candle burning.

2. P35

P35 Loaded Pockets

:iagree: :thumbsup: :highfive: :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::crackup:

3. will m
    • In Omnia Paratus

will m Loaded Pockets

i expect the entire first floor of my house will be lit up while i'm watching a hockey game on tv and surfing the interwebs at the same time.

4. Synaptic Misfire
    • In Omnia Paratus

Synaptic Misfire Loaded Pockets

Save a tree, burn a hippy.

5. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Mumbojumboo EDC Junkie!!!!!

I don't get it?

6. soli

soli Loaded Pockets

It's in response to Earth Hour

7. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

ah, thanks. Lights off seems like a good idea,no? I'm no one to talk with 3 hot rods that get 30 mpg together but makes sense.

8. Simsmac0o

Simsmac0o Loaded Pockets

I'm disheartened by your post, Doc. Why are you so averse to others saving electricity?

9. Chocula

Chocula Loaded Pockets

I am all for the advancement of technology but blatantly wasting energy just because you can is stupid.

10. Flight-ER-Doc

Because it's not about saving electricity, it's about saving the planet. So the rubes will turn off their lights, and instead burn candles. Guess which does more damage to the environment?

If people want to be frugal, environmentally responsible, whatever, then fine....do what you will. But don't be hypocritical about it. Understand that all choices have consequences, and understand what those consequences are, and be responsible for them. Don't be a self-congratulatory putz claiming moral or intellectual superiority because you follow the herd doing stupid crap.

11. Flight-ER-Doc

And yet, with all the energy I 'waste' I still produce less pollution than a similarly sized home with candles burning. Not to mention the effort that went into making those candles, or delivering them to the end user.

12. Chocula

Chocula Loaded Pockets

While a light bulb does not generate any pollution in use, a lot of pollution was generated to create and power it, and it will become pollution when it inevitably breaks. Your claim is correct in a very narrow sense but in general it is not so clear.

Using candles to save the planet is naive and won't fix anything, but turning on lights doesn't seem to prove or celebrate anything. We haven't achieved harmony or found a sustainable solution to our needs and I don't think we are in a position to pat ourselves on the back yet.

13. Simsmac0o

Simsmac0o Loaded Pockets

Um, using electricity. Depending on where you live in the US, chances are your electricity is produced by coal power plants or maybe natural gas plants, which are a hell of a lot less "green" than candles. Regardless, the movement isn't about using candles, it's about turning off your lights. It's mostly symbolic, partially because not many people participate in the event or even know about it.

I don't understand how the Earth Hour is hypocritical.

14. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

Trees scream far less . . . But still an excellent idea. ;)

P.S. - Left my lights on far longer than an hour.

15. Flight-ER-Doc

I celebrated by grilling (using propane gas, maybe from Texas) a fresh leg of lamb from New Zealand, with Quinoa from Argentina, lettuce from California, wine from Italy, coffee from Costa Rica and chocolate from Kenya, all while listening to a stereo built in Japan to a recording made in the 1950's remastered in 2000 of a conductor and orchestra thats been dead for 40 years, in a house with every freaking light burning.

All Human Accomplishments.

All while polluting less than the lice-pickers..... Take that, 'earth hour'.

16. keith1234
    • In Omnia Paratus

keith1234 Loaded Pockets

So we the average person sit in the dark for an hour while big businees go about their business by not turning of a single light to show support for this so-called Earth hour. So tell me what does all of this accomplish by turning off your lights and big business doesn't, absolutely nothing that's what.

17. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Human Accomplishments...good and bad. Good medicine. Bad garbage. 1969 Mach 1, good but equally bad, no?

18. Reloc8

Reloc8 Loaded Pockets

We really arn't going to be around for very much longer are we.

19. Flight-ER-Doc

Not as long as we waste time and effort on silliness like 'earth hour'.