1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

    Please visit following page for more information

    Dismiss Notice

Accidental Experiment??

Discussion in 'Other Every Day Carry Items' started by phantom357, Jan 1, 2014.

  1. phantom357

    phantom357 Loaded Pockets

    Joined:
    Apr 1, 2008
    Messages:
    263
    Likes Received:
    891
    So I'm at the gym a few days ago and decided to get into the sauna after my workout. I normally bake for about twenty minutes while listening to some tunes but for whatever reason on this particular day the sauna was exceptionally hot. After about ten minutes, my neck felt like it was on fire because of the chain that I was wearing. The chain and dogtag are stainless steel and the whistle and glow fob are titanium. Well, the chain and dogtag were the burning culprits while the titanium pieces remained warm for the environment. I guess Titanium is truly the metal of the gods because they were cool in the heat of Hades.

    [​IMG]
     
  2. KeyeEl

    KeyeEl EDC Junkie!!!!!

    Joined:
    Jul 25, 2011
    Messages:
    2,853
    Likes Received:
    7,298
    I'm not sure on the chain but doesn't the 925 on the dog tag indicate that it's sterling silver, not stainless?

    I think silver is a soft metal at room temperature so the 925 of sterling is actually 92.5% silver with the remaining 7.5% being copper to help stabilize it. Maybe the sauna heat was starting to bake the soft silver metal?
     
  3. KnoxButler

    KnoxButler Loaded Pockets

    Joined:
    Nov 17, 2013
    Messages:
    36
    Likes Received:
    73
    I wear a few necklaces, one made out of steel and the other that bead link, like what you pull on a ceiling fan to turn the light on and off. Same thing happened to me, in fact it happened quite fast. One moment I was fine the next I was quickly yanking the necklaces off my head.
     
  4. 0dBm

    0dBm Loaded Pockets

    Joined:
    Mar 29, 2006
    Messages:
    5,501
    Likes Received:
    3,955
    Do you routinely wear those metallic objects during your workout and in the sauna? If so, why?
     
    Highway9 likes this.
  5. phantom357

    phantom357 Loaded Pockets

    Joined:
    Apr 1, 2008
    Messages:
    263
    Likes Received:
    891
    Yes, I normally wear my chain while working out and in the sauna and/or steam room, been doing it for years. There really is no rhyme or reason "why" I do it, I just do. It was quite evident on that particular day that the sauna was abnormally hot and the metal heated quickly against my skin.
     
  6. Bullivant

    Bullivant Loaded Pockets

    Joined:
    Jul 9, 2012
    Messages:
    279
    Likes Received:
    287
    That's why titanium is used on special aircraft parts that have to endure enormously high temperatures...
     
  7. defloyd

    defloyd Loaded Pockets

    Joined:
    Sep 21, 2007
    Messages:
    329
    Likes Received:
    31
    The thermal conductivity of stainless steel is typically much higher than titanium, I think it can be up to twice as thermally conductive, so that'd explain why it got hotter than the titanium.