1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Accidental EDC'ers

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by dml24, Jun 12, 2014.

1. dml24

dml24 Loaded Pockets

I am just curious how many found this site, and then upon lurking and reading the variety of post and topics came to realize that one was already and EDCer without having planned or given thought to actually being one.

Since I have joined here and read many posts, I realized I was an EDC noobie. I have learned a lot, and for being likely one of the older guys here, learned that I was less prepared than I wanted.

Progress has been slow but I am getting better organized and a little better prepared.

AV8R, kdurt, Caveman2795 and 3 others like this.
  2. Cobra 6 Actual

Cobra 6 Actual Loaded Pockets

I came here, I lurked, I joined, I learned. Hey, and by the way, there are many other old Geezers here (myself included) in the "+65 to Death's Door" age range. One great thing for us is that we don't have to worry about dying young!

As to your specific question: yes, I was into EDC, but didn't even know 1) That it had a name and 2) How much I didn't know.

Last edited by Cobra 6 Actual, Jun 12, 2014
    AV8R, kdurt, CSM-101 and 2 others like this.
  3. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

I was and EDCr. Not sure where I read the explaination of the acronym EDC, but it was shortly before happening across EDCForums.
    Didn't realize how much I didn't know. Found some great products that I still use everyday. Like the Skinth and the TEC Accessories P-7 suspension clip.
    EDC has been a big part of my life, from when I was a boy reading about Tom Sawyer having stuff in his pockets, to when I found EDCF and posted so much that I got cramps and Jon asked me to be a Moderator. Now I read a lot more and run my mouth less. :D

Now I'm an EDCFr ;)

kdurt, kertap75, microbe and 3 others like this.
  4. SMAJ
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

SMAJ Loaded Pockets

@SAKplumber
    "Now I read a lot more and run my mouth less. :D"

um really?!! LMAO!!!! And enable more!!:rofl:

AV8R, Sachmo, kdurt and 3 others like this.
  5. SMAJ
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

SMAJ Loaded Pockets

I found this forum about 2 months ago. I guess I was an EDCr and didn't know there was a name for it either! Having spent my entire adult life in the military, I have been carrying things I needed on a daily basis based on the mission or what I was doing for training of the day as well as packing 'bug out" bags and all other manner of bags for that matter! But, I have learned a whole lot in that short time that I didn't know! And I have discovered that there a lot of great products and tons of knowledge to be gleaned just from reading and looking at pictures! I now spend the majority of my time "on the line" on this site!

AV8R, kdurt, SurvivePenna and 2 others like this.
  6. Russ Prechtl

Russ Prechtl EDC Junkie!!!!!

Welcome from Illinois, USA!

kdurt and Cobra 6 Actual like this.
  7. Kilted1

Kilted1 Loaded Pockets

Oh certainly. I've been EDC-ing for ~40 years but never knew it was a "thing". I first heard the term EDC from my father-in-law about 10 years ago in reference to flashlights.

Like others above, I have learned a lot here! Hopefully I've contributed some too.

kdurt and CSM-101 like this.
  8. Vader9900
    • In Omnia Paratus

Vader9900 Loaded Pockets

I started carrying a Vic Tinker my Junior year of HS after seeing MacGyver. I always loved Maglites back then too. I always have carried some sort of attaché or briefcase. I found this place by accident when I was looking to buy some new gear. Oh, and fixed blades too, beat the hell out of a Buckmaster back in the day, wish I still had it!

9. CSM-101
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

CSM-101 EDC Junkie!!!!!

I found this site a couple of years ago while looking for a mini pry bar. I've been a EDC'r most of my life... I've been carrying flashlights and pocket
    knives since I was around 8 and got my first SAK after watching MacGyver just like Vader. My favorite haunt as a kid was the local Army/Navy store,
    and I've always loved bags and packs. I'd never heard the term "EDC" until I started that search and like the others have said I didn't know it was a thing, heck, for several years I was the only person I knew who carried an EDC bag. :p

kdurt likes this.
  10. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

The day I started the forum I said I kind of don't like the term edcer because almost everyone is already.

Last edited by JonSidneyB, Jun 12, 2014
  11. F-Bobby

F-Bobby EDC Junkie

I've been carrying a knife and flashlight in my pockets and a Multitool on my keyring for YEARS. I didn't know it was a "Thing" till about 3 weeks ago. Once I realize there was a community of people who have put a lot of thought and planning in to what you should keep with you and why. I started paying attention to what I carry and more importantly, how much it weighed vs. how much I used it.
    Now i'm a full fledged (and certainly more well informed) EDC'r. I'm thankful for places like this to show me what I should carry and what I shouldn't and WHY.

kdurt, Southpaw and Cobra 6 Actual like this.
  12. jfoster

jfoster Loaded Pockets

I've been packing my stuff up daily since 1994 and when I found this forum this year I thought it to be the best thing on the internet! I've been introduced to so many new and neat products and ideas that my wallet screams at me on a daily basis!

Sent from the peanut gallery!

AV8R, kdurt, Southpaw and 1 other person like this.
  13. dml24

dml24 Loaded Pockets

I first heard the term I associated with EDC years ago when I was in a discussion with friends at work who are into guns, rifles, handguns. Some of them were into gun collecting or just shoot different weapons for the joy such gives. Associating hand guns with Every- day-Carry was something I assumed only applied to handguns until I stumbled upon EDC Forums last year.

I have had a few EDC items for years, with my key chain light being the first. I have learned a lot here and visit the site several times a day on most days.

14. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

Actually the little old lady's with purses might have been the first to say every day carry.

kdurt, Cobra 6 Actual and SAKplumber like this.
  15. kertap75

kertap75 EDC Junkie!!!!!

I always assumed EDC had a different meaning. Every day as in ordinary, nothing special. Like having Sunday church clothes and every day clothes. Regardless of where it came from there are a lot of cool people and ideas here, I'm glad I found it.

kdurt and Cobra 6 Actual like this.
  16. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

I learned a lot about EDC from my Gramma :) She carried a bottle of kerosene for wound treatment and a switchblade :D

17. Southpaw

Southpaw EDC Junkie!!!!!

I knew nothing about edc until I ran into eyespy on YouTube when I was looking at oakley sunglasses. He had videos about his current edc. Thought it was ridiculous to show people what you had in your pockets. But then I got curious and ran into this site when I googled a certain edc item. Now I'm here

kdurt, SAKplumber and Cobra 6 Actual like this.
  18. J_C
    • In Omnia Paratus

J_C Loaded Pockets

Welcome, DML! I think every human who wears clothing carries SOMETHING with them, whether it be something as simple as a key chain and a wallet, all the way to those who can live out of their backpacks for a week without advance notice.

I'm not exactly sure what differentiates the term "EDC" from "things I carry in my pockets". I'm in the older range too (mid-50s), and I have been carrying tools and equipment on me or with me for my entire adult working career. Honestly about the only thing that has changed due to the forums here is that I have learned more about the options and choices out there, which has helped me streamline and improve the things I do carry.

For example, I've always carried a small flashlight in my tool bag, but I had not been aware of the new LED technologies over the past decade, so I replaced my 2AA Mag-lite with a smaller Fenix CR123 light that is much brighter and small enough that I can carry it ON me instead of WITH me.

Same with Leatherman tools. I've owned one since they came out in the early 80s, mainly as a set of needle-nose pliers that just happened to have some small screwdrivers on it. But again, tool-bag duty, until I learned about the vast variety of Leatherman tools in different sizes, so now I have an LM Squirt in my pocket, in addition to a larger one still in the bag.

Pocket knives is another one. I really never carried one, other than a big Buck 110 and then later a Gerber bolt-action folder on my uniform belt when I was in law enforcement years ago, mainly as a seat-belt cutter should the need have ever arisen (never did). If I ever needed something, the blade on whatever multi-tool I had would have had to do. Now I have a slim Victornox Alox Cadet that goes everywhere with me.

First aid kits. Simple concept. I had never really carried one with me - most places I worked had well-stocked ones. Until the 2008-10 recession, where companies cut back on everything and also got worried about liability from providing any sort of medical care to employees, even band-aids. So I used information from this web site to build out a simple little kit in an Altoids tin for minor cuts and scrapes. Amazing how something as simple as having a selection of assorted sizes of band-aids, some alcohol wipes, and some Neo-sporin ointment can make a cut finger into a non-event.

So I guess in summary, everyone already carries things with them, so we are all "EDCers" whether we are members of on-line forums or not. What you can get out of the forum is a better awareness of other options, better solutions, and a broader understanding of what else is out there that you may not have thought of or even known existed.

And have a little fun and make some friends (or not) at the same time.

So welcome from another older guy who already carried stuff before he knew there was a TLA (three letter acronym) for it!

19. Doraemon

Doraemon Loaded Pockets

Well, when meeting new people they usually soon comment, "You carry a lot of stuff around!" And when my friends ask "Anyone got a pen?" -everyone looks at me. "Anyone got nail clippers?" -everyone looks at me. "Why do you have cable ties on you?"

kdurt, SAKplumber and Cobra 6 Actual like this.
  20. BubbaFett
    • In Omnia Paratus

BubbaFett Loaded Pockets

Rock ON! Lol