1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

About to give my Vanquest IBEX-20 it's first test

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by morglan, Jun 25, 2017.

1. morglan

morglan Loaded Pockets

Leaving for a willing Bermuda cruise, and I picked up an IBEX 20 specifically to carry water and whatever else we may need walking around Bermuda, and then to use as a summertime EDC bag.

Very tough going from a 5.11 pack, with all kinds of organizational pockets to a smaller bag with none. (Switching colors--from everything you own being khaki/tan to gray--is a whole different $$ issue too!)

But it's also kind of liberating. I've dumped all those things we pack because we know we'll "need" them, and only took necessities--water bottles, filter, admin pouch with items, some Paracord and a couple lights. No firearms or knives on this trip, so I have extra room anyway.

It's funny, I discovered that a fixed blade and my 1911 with 4 loaded mags is heavier than my hydro flask, a nalgene (both full sized 32-40oz and full) as well as 4 more regular bottles. Never would've thought.

I won't have internet access until after 7/4, so I'll post a follow up once I'm home and have time.

Here are a few pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Norseman likes this.
  2. HardToHandle

HardToHandle Loaded Pockets

I used my Ibex 20 for a winter desert vacation with some light hiking. Loved having the shockcord to hold jackets. The big main compartment worked great for carrying a massive vacation read, in hard cover copy.

Added the new Vanquest hydro carrier to the MOLLE after that trip. Overall, the size and sparse prebuilt organization keeps you disciplined.

morglan likes this.
  3. morglan

morglan Loaded Pockets

Okay, back home now, so here are some of my impressions.

First, when we ventured off the ship to walk around Bermuda, I took some items out. I ended up carrying the following:

40oz Hydro Flask full of water

Smaller (25-ish oz?) Insulated Camelback water bottle full of water for the wife

Sawyer squeeze filter

Empty platypus"bottle"

Bike cable lock (I picked up a cheap combination cable lock before we left with the thought that if I needed to set my bag somewhere for a bit, I could actually lock it down. I know it won't keep prying fingers out, but it may make someone hesitate, and they can't simply run off with the whole pack. It's light, and takes up almost no space, so for the time being it'll stay in my bag.)

Sunscreen

Wife's glasses

Loaded admin pouch

Some 550 cord

The bag was pretty full--the two water bottles take up a lot of the main compartment--but those were my main reason for carrying a pack in the first place, so I didn't mind.

It was hot. The bag didn't help. But it was manageable.

I'm a beginner when it comes to how to wear a backpack. At 6' tall, this bag isn't long enough for me to use the waist belt in the proper position while wearing the pack as high on the shoulders as (I believe) it was designed to carry, so the waist belt has been removed and put into a side pocket.

I'm in great shape, but the yoke still caused my shoulders/trap muscles to fatigue--i don't know if this is because I was wearing the pack in the wrong position (up high), because of the pack's design, or just because I'm not really used to wearing a backpack. When we disembarked the ship, I wore the IBEX lower on my back--seemed to help, but I worry more about lower back strain (but it didn't seem to be an issue).

I absolutely loved the "footprint" of the bag. While on my back, I had full range of motion, my arms never contacted the sides of the bag while I walked, and I didn't feel like a hunchback with it on. Very sleek and fast design. I even used the shock cord to carry my mother in law's fold up cane while we boarded--worked perfectly for that.

I do need to work on interior organization though. I did add a strip of industrial strength Velcro too my hydro flask, and that holds it in place nicely in the bag. (Tip -- I used a long piece of Velcro, almost the length of the bottle. I may remove it and use about half the amount.)

I also need to get a narrower admin pouch and a mohl-air panel, unless I can find a decent pouch with Velcro instead of molle.

The carry handles on three sides of the bag are an excellent idea that I use often.

Luckily I live where we have cool enough weather to use this back for most of the year, but now my search for the perfect ripstop bag for summers continues.

4. Ixoye

Ixoye Empty Pockets

My 2 cents of feedback--- I have had the IBEX-20 for over a year and a half closing in on 2 yrs, it was my main EDC bag for some time and than I started using it for rucking. The top compression strap broke during a work out, VANQUEST made it right, so it became by work out bag. For the most part It has held up well, the one compression strap broke and and the shoulder harness on the front (see pix for location( i GUESS I CAN NOT UPLOAD PIX) have unstitched, but in all fairness I do dock my HPG KIT bag to those tabs using down range gear QASM vertical adapters. The kit usually has by fully load Glock. I have done many mile with 50lbs of lead in it. I will say with heavier loads the padding on the should straps does get distorted a bit but still no discomfort to the point of causing any real pain. Over all it has held up very well and consider the load its is pretty dang comfy. I attached one pix of when it was fairly new when it was set up for EDC.

morglan likes this.