1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

About to get a rush 24 for laptop bag. Any thoughts in additional?

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by weylan, May 2, 2015.

1. weylan

weylan Loaded Pockets

I'm about to replace my laptop bag, after seven years.

I'm going to replace it I think with the rush 24. Are there any other options but people might suggest to get at the same time?

Mostly the bag will be used as EDC for the laptop to and from work. I have an iPad as well. And then travel about twice a year. I normally carry a nalgeen bottle.so I'm considering getting a water bottle Molle attach.

I'm considering also adding an iPad sleeve. Because just to carry the iPad.
    Rather then shove it in the middle of the pack. And protect it. The sleeve is just to carry it around, the pack normally just goes from the office to the car. And doesn't leave my side. So theft isn't as much an issue, as just carrying it.
    Anyone have any additional things I should add to it?

Is the rush 24 too big, or 12 too small?

The laptop is a 14 inch DELL.
    Dell Latitude e5440

13.5in, 9.5in, 1.5in

From Weylan

Last edited by weylan, May 4, 2015
  2. Rverdi

Rverdi Loaded Pockets

I have both and, yeah the 12 is too small. The 24 is probably the right size for you, I've carried my Surface Pro, iPad, chargers and all the rest of my EDC gear and had room to spare. I only used mine briefly though, I just found all the pockets and storage areas too much, I literally found myself losing things in the pack.
    I'm still on a quest for the perfect pack, for me the 24 wasn't it, but from a volume perspective it should handle what you're looking to do.

3. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

It might help if you mention what computer you have?

4. weylan

weylan Loaded Pockets

The laptop is a 14 inch DELL.

13.5, 9.5, 1.5
    Dell Latitude e5440

I may get a 15 MacBook but at this time the it is a 14 inch since I started at the company I am currently at is what they gave me to use.

5. Tromba

Tromba Loaded Pockets

There are a lot of threads with discussions about the Rush line. Check some of those out and you might find some good info.

To mine I added a Milspec Monkey bottle corset to carry a nalgene.

There is a long zipper pouch in the front admin pocket. That is where my iPad rides. I don't have a sleeve for it. It has not gotten damaged yet. It guess that would depend on how much abuse your bag will take though.

6. weylan

weylan Loaded Pockets

Tromba, Been starting to read the threads. But having actual proof what fits is nice for my application.

bag will not take too much abuse but some so going to get a sleeve too.

got a water bottle holder on order as well.

7. Myrddraal

Myrddraal Loaded Pockets

I stopped carrying my Rush 24 when I began needing to carry a laptop with me again. I don't like the fact that there isn't a padded pocket for a laptop, and I had other bags kicking around that are made to carry laptops. I would consider something more suited for laptops such as the Camelbak Urban assault. It's got a suspended, padded pocket which keeps your laptop from hitting if the bag gets set down abruptly. It also has insulated side pockets that will fit a 32OZ Nalgene.

echo victor likes this.
  8. rr1071

rr1071 Loaded Pockets

My laptop fits in the water bladder compartment. You could also buy a sleeve for a laptop and put it in the main compartment pouch. Great work edc bag, I don't fill it up everyday, but when I need to I have it covered with this bag.

9. echo victor

echo victor Previously "YankeeHotelFoxtrot"

I have a Rush 24 and I would agree with Myrddraal that the Camelbak UA is much better suited to carrying a laptop. As a matter or fact, I also own a CUA and my older son is using it at univesity. He LOVES it (tells me that I have impeccable taste in bags :tongue: ). Seriously though, the CUA has padding explicitly designed and placed for a laptop. The 24 has a better admin area.

10. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

I have both a Rush 24 and CUA and got the Camelbak when the 24 just did not work out for larger computers to me.
    The Camelbak is amazing!

Myrddraal likes this.
  11. RiskMgr

RiskMgr Loaded Pockets

I use an R24 for my office bag. It works great! Fits my laptop (15"ish) just fine. I did put a piece of foam in the bottom, just in case I set it down too hard. Otherwise, no concern; i tend to be gentle with delicate stuff, especially when i don't own it.

12. Ryan McKenzie

Ryan McKenzie Loaded Pockets

GatorMedic showed me a picture of her laptop that fit in the 12 and my 15.6 based on the dimensions in the description of the bag should fit. a fried though prefers the 24 with his laptop and school stuff.

GatorMedic likes this.
  13. GatorMedic

GatorMedic Loaded Pockets

Your laptop will fit in either the Rush 12 or 24 just fine. If you want something that already has an iPad sleeve in it, you could go for the 5.11 All Hazards Prime or Nitro. Gives you the ability to separate your computer and iPad from your other items as well as it has two main compartments. Everyone is aware on here how much I love my Rush series bags (I own two 12s that get used daily and a 24 as an emergency truck bag), but if laptop carry was my primary use of the bag, I'd consider the Camelbak UA as others have mentioned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. weylan

weylan Loaded Pockets

I got a rush 24. It is big for the laptop but I have space when I travel. And work paid for it! Bonus.

Last backpack was almost 10 years used. I expect to get that much from this one. Or not and use it for hiking when it get retired from laptop duty early.

Nice fit. And carries easy. I put a water bottle carrier on the side for 2l or coffee cup

Took off the sternum straps. I don't normally carry with sternum strap on, and as it is mostly 1 shoulder carry.

Definitely too big for just the 14" laptop, but I was expecting that.
    I did add a laptop sleeve to add some protection and it helps with vertical entry and exit.

The backpack does not stand up on its own. My old one did.

iPad totally fits no sleeve extra needed in front pocket. But I could add one if I wanted too. Mole all over it.

I need to get some para cord so I can tie jacket to the backpack if temperatures change and I have the jacket on. I hate doing the stuff the jacket inside.

From Weylan