1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

About medical kits

Discussion in 'First Aid Station' started by clock, Dec 26, 2019.

1. clock

clock Loaded Pockets

My list of medications is getting even longer. Meds for diabetes, cholesterol, prostate, in addition to the usual anti-acids and antihistamines ..etc. Plus the supplements (multivitamins, Omega-3 ..etc. ) , I am beginning to wonder if there is an efficient way to carry all these. At home, there is no problem as a box or bottle of each med sits on the night stand and they are organized enough, but I am wondering about the way to carry all in the best way so as not to forget any of them , and to be all nicely accessible and useable.

I first thought of a plastic toolbox. Then thought of a small duffel bag
    What are your idea on this ?? How do you organize your meds on the move ??
    Thanks

2. PragmaticMurphyist

PragmaticMurphyist Loaded Pockets

Depends how you want them organised. On the dresser my one-a-day meds are in a 7-day organiser (of the MTWTFSS variety). For pills I take with me (mainly OTC pain meds and symptom suppressors) I have a little plastic multi-compartment case - if you look on ebay for "folca 8 compartment pill box" you should find what I mean.

All the best in finding something that works for you,

3. clock

clock Loaded Pockets

Thanks PM. Actually I am looking for something to carry meds by the bottle or strip, not in single loose pills.

I have noticed some meds (like Omega-3 capsules) are affected by air humidity and start to stick to each other, if kept loose in the open air. My kids bought me a 200 capsule bottle from the internet. So, instead of using the capsules directly from the bottle, opening it everyday for 200 days, I got an empty 30 pill Centrum multivitamin bottle and repurposed it for the Mega-3 capsules. The remaining Omega-3 capsule remain in the original bottle with a few humidity absorbing packets.

PragmaticMurphyist likes this.
  4. PragmaticMurphyist

PragmaticMurphyist Loaded Pockets

No worries. I hope someone else can point you in the direction of something that meets your needs.

5. ran23
    • In Omnia Paratus

ran23 Loaded Pockets

Don't you actually need a label for the actual med's? I also use a 7-day tray, but need space for other supplements. (look into Beta-Glucan for your cholesterol)

6. Hook

Hook Loaded Pockets

I take BP meds, anxiety meds, multivitamins, heartburn meds. I have some small plastic containers I get at work and keep a day supply in them. So if I'm camping or just not home for any reason, I just grab a container and I'm good to go. I only take them once a day, so it works for me quite well. I have a surplus and could send you a few of you like.

7. ran23
    • In Omnia Paratus

ran23 Loaded Pockets

I take things thru out the day. And retired so have time for things. Good old 35mm cans would be right if not for the new things I am taking, CLA & GLA. thanks

8. madkins007

madkins007 Loaded Pockets

I take about half a dozen pills in the morning, and again in the evening. If I am traveling or camping, I bundle a day's worth of morning pills in one small ziplock, and a day's worth of evening in another. Then I pack enough little bags worth for each day of the trip. (There is a brightly colored pill in the evening bags, so it is easy to tell which is which.)

Little ziplocks are cheap, light, and plenty tough for the job. But there are also a million plastic or metal vials you can use. A lot of your answer will depend on your exact situation- do you want to carry more than a day's worth? Do you have a place you can stash a bigger kit? Do you need to carry all the meds on you at all times?

9. clock

clock Loaded Pockets

Thanks guys
    Yes, I need to carry enough for a number of days. It can happen that I go to visit family in another town and the stay of two days unexpectedly turn into a week long stay ( happened before). In addition, I am going to spend more time there in the coming few months ( not settling there, but going and coming back and forth in both regular and irregular manner). Already thinking about leaving a stash of meds there ( I have a room already). But I still think the mobile kit is necessary.

10. clock

clock Loaded Pockets

And BTW, I got myself the same set of questions about tools.
    I have left a stash of tools there, but still needed a mobile set of a toolbox and a tool bag

I have thought that tools are different because you need different tools for different situations and tasks , while meds are meds. You have diabetes, cholesterol ..etc. and meds will always be the same. I was wrong. For example, I have had some old health issues that I thought were gone. They returned in the most unfortunate of times. So, I better have all my stuff with me when I am far from home.

That Movie Guy likes this.
  11. Marskindri

Marskindri Loaded Pockets

Try a portable rotating pill case or the Pill Pro. It really depends on how much space you need.
    Hope you find one that works for you.

12. Jocko Tobling

Jocko Tobling Loaded Pockets

You might want to go to a place that sells organizer boxes and such, or look online there is a lot of stuff out there.

13. Doc18

Doc18 Loaded Pockets

So tbh...this is the argument case for having a fanypack. Personally, I have one, I don't carry it daily slick because I have no need for it but I do use one as a medic in the army as my MARCH kit which has all my treatments to treat an immediate patient with life threats I can treat rapidly and it has the things you'd find inside of an IFAK. The benefit for me is that I can take it off and hand it to a buddy if there is more then one patient and he needs additional supplies etc. I can also remove it in a vehicle and carry it around if needed when I'm not on operations. That being said, my reason for stating such is all the reasons stated above, you can carry it around and dedicate it to whatever you want to put into it. Use it for a first aid kit as well as medication carrier for all the things you need. Throw some bandaids, gloves and basic first aid stuff in there and have your meds as well when needed. Ultimately, its on you but its not a horrible solution Imo.

14. volvoboy

volvoboy Loaded Pockets

I'm not entirely sure how much you've got to take with you and what kind of space requirements that you have but based on your need to have things in bottles maybe take a look at a plastic organizer box (sometimes you see these in the fishing tackle aisle). Here's one example from a blog post that I saw a few years ago. Looks like there is plenty of customization available and it fits bottles of varying sizes.

Hope this helps!

[​IMG]