1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

About JPE's, EDC and other things

Discussion in 'Show us pics of your EDC!' started by JPE, Apr 2, 2015.

1. JPE

JPE Loaded Pockets

How does one become interested in EDC items? Why carry stuff around? When did I start collecting things in my pockets? Questions that came along when I started reading all your posts.

When did I start to carry a knife? I can not answer that question exactly. But still remember some knifes I owned or still have in my modest collection. One I did find at my parents a couple of months ago. Must have been a promotion item my dad got in the past and was given to me as a child.

[​IMG]

I still know that there was an other one next to this on. But this one I'll always remember because it says Pirelli. My first (and only) new car was a VW Golf GTI, or Rabbit as it was called in the US. And yes that car came with Pirelli tires.

When I read about nail clippers around here I checked the clippers I always had in my dopp bag. To my surprise it's US made, Trim by Basset. And what did I discover? This little (about 2" or 50 mm long folded) knife was also made by Basset.

[​IMG]

Just a coincidence but kind of funny.

So this was the knife I carried as a young boy. My first knife. This one was replaced as my childhood EDC by a Victorinox my dad gave me as a present after he was away on an exercise with the squadron he served back then. To bad I lost that knive... :oops:

Friends back then gave me a folder. Was one like this.

[​IMG]

Being kids without jobs I should have known they did not buy this knife... well however I've kept this knife till I was 15 years old. Being in puberty I got mad once again and smashed this knife with a hamer and burried it... Yes, I was young and stupid back then!

But I wasn't without a knife... we visited family in California and my uncle knew I like knifes and guns and when we had to go home he gave me two presents I could open when we were back home in Holland. Man, he gave me a Daisy bb gun and a knife! The bb gun must still be somewhere at my parents, the knife lays in my knife drawer.

[​IMG]

As you can see it's a Smith & Wesson and it has rose wood inlays. It only says stainless steel on the blade. Probably nothing special. But being a gift it means a lot to me.

I like that uncle! Years later I've visited them again and I got a Leatherman, one of the original PST's and a folder by Case. Both were stolen during a burglary at my place :mad: I still am mad that the LM was stolen!!! But same uncle gave me an replacement when I was there during Chrismas one time.
    [​IMG]

You'll recognise the Gerber.

And when he visited us one time he gave me this nice little one...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Of course did I buy knives myself once I earned some money with side jobs. But this was mainly after I was drafted to serve in the Royal Dutch Airforce. Was stationed in Germany at a HAWK squadron. Had a very good time with the Airforce security group at a HAWK missle site.

The knife that was issued did I show in the SAK thread, here it is in an other shot.
    [​IMG]

On my tags is an medalion I got from my dad. He has always been with the airforce also served in Germany. Well my dad and I are kind of cold war vetrans. Protecting the West from the East back then. I even met Russians checking our site from a distance. They were called Soxmix I think.

Growing up in Germany, fields and woods being our playground. Serving a HAWK squadron and during exercises moving with the squadron and being self sufficient, being in contact with side arms and rifles must have triggered my interest in al the stuff I read about on this much apreciated forum.

So far for now. I'll continue my story next time... to be continued!

ManVsLawn, Pscl, johnny five and 23 others like this.
  2. Sriracha

Sriracha Loaded Pockets

1. The original GTI is awesome. Its one of my favorite cars of all time.

2. Your uncle is awesome. What an enabler! LOL!

3. Your contribution is awesome! With the ISSUED SAK! You sir are what we call a "Mac daddy".

Thanks for sharing!

3. JPE

JPE Loaded Pockets

To keep you entertained I will just show some other pictures I've got for now. Will go into it more in detail later.

[​IMG]

My first 'survival' set I still throw in my bag or suitcase going on trips or vacation.
    You may recognise a Victorinox Rucksack, a cheap lighter, a Recta DP2 compass, a Swedish Firesteel, a small pencil and note book. I recently used another item that is missing right now... a female hygiene product. Yes a tampon I recently used as tinder to light a fire.

This I also treasure...
    [​IMG]

A 'golok kelapa', a gift my parents brought back from a vacation in Indonesia.

My basic bushcraft tools...
    [​IMG]

That dirt cheap fixed beater knife and my weakness... good food and beverages...
    [​IMG]

Past midnight overhere, have to go to bed... still to be continued!

4. JPE

JPE Loaded Pockets

Sriracha thank you!

I like your name so much... I could eat it! ;)

You may have tried this

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Told you about my weakness, food & drink. This rooster is a permanent staple!​

ManVsLawn, Pscl, johnny five and 18 others like this.
  5. JPE

JPE Loaded Pockets

After carrying that service SAK for a while I ran into a promotion from the tool supplier at my work back then. A Victorinox Huntsman in the budget version. I mean that with the not so slick scales.

[​IMG]

I added a whistle and replaced a Maglite Solitaire as LED's became more affordable and current with that Fenix E01.

This combo has been in my pockets for years! Untill... I started to look into knives again. Looked at knives, read about knives, shopped for knives. Searching the internet for great deals and information I stumbled upon edcforums.com. I was hooked! Needed more, wanted more, could hardly control my shopping drift!

Soon I bought a new folder. An Esee Zancudo black version. Why I got this one? Well it's affordable and I read good things about it. I love the 'tools' on the Huntsman so decided to carry two knives. But then, a red one together with a black one? By then I'd seen beautiful pictures of color matching edc. So I 'had' to look for a black Victorinox. But I have to watch my budget so I settled for a Climber. In my now office surroundings I could do without the saw. So this became my first color coordinated edc...

[​IMG]

But I could not stop. As told I was hooked! A nice alox Victorinox would also combine nice with black. Wouldn't it? YES! So... got me the Farmer. Opposed to the black Huntsman being my office tool the Farmer could be my outdoorsy tool ;) So I could justify the acquisition of yet another knife.

[​IMG]

I like the feel of the alox... I like the Farmer...I like black... I want... I need... well high on my wish list is that knife. Already looked into this matter and know where to order. Just have to save some money first... :oops:

Told you I'm on a budget!

.... to be continued..

ManVsLawn, Pscl, johnny five and 19 others like this.
  6. Cheeser
    • In Omnia Paratus

Cheeser Hey Bub!

Budgets are what make us more selective in our gear choices and happier with what we buy. It's not really a limitation. You appreciate it more because it wasn't easy ;)

7. de Vries
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

de Vries EDC Junkie!!!

I agree with cheeser.
    I would like to add something too.
    Don't buy cheap stuff because it's easier on the budget and you can buy more. Quality stuff is "expensive" but will last.

8. JPE

JPE Loaded Pockets

You're right cheeser! It's something like 'the journey is more important than the destination' or 'the hunt is sweeter than the kill'.... That's why I at least keep reading about all the things we here on the forums like so much. And sometimes this results in buying stuff :bounce:

9. JPE

JPE Loaded Pockets

I'm with you on this de Vries! But cheap and expensive are relative to me... know what I mean? Victorinox for example to me is quality but rather cheap. I have several SAK's by them. To a lot of friends I'm crazy to spent so much money on a knife... Same goes for tools. I like Facom, do own some stuff. But what do I hear people say? Why pay so much for a screwdriver? It's what I have to pay and what I think to get out of it. You know? At the end I'm all for quality over quantity.... within the limitations I set.

At the moment I would like a new camera system. I've reached the technical limitations of the set I've got. Gave me a lot op pleasure for years. Back then I could afford it. Now I'm looking at a set that (for the moment) is out of reach. But I will not settle for less... just have to wait and save some money till I can buy it. I have learned to be patient... ;)

10. JPE

JPE Loaded Pockets

Was just watching a culinary and nature programe on tv (Arte German version) when I was surprised by the following program. It was a documentary about the knives from Laguiole and Thiers. Think most of us must have seen these French knives with the fly or bee on it. Just heard it's a bee.

They showed and talked about the history of the regional knives. The cheap 'clone's' from all over the world. A couple of stages of production of a knife were shown too. But most interesting I found the birth of a damascus one. First time a saw how 7 layers (I think it was 7) of steels were forged together. Then twisted and how it finally ended up after staying in acid for about 45 minutes. Allmost mathematics how they prepared and predicted how it would turn out.

I've seen lots of steak knife sets in the style of the Laguiole knives in the past. Did some reading about the knives and started to look for a as original as possible one for myself. Must have been about 3 or 4 years ago that I bought one. Use it not as a daily carry that much. It's more my dinner knife at occasions.

Remembered that I took a picture of it during a bbq once so started to look for it. And found it in all those gigabytes of pictures. Wanted to share it with you.

The picture I was looking for... just a quick T-bone...

[​IMG]

Took the knife and some props out to take some extra pictures

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As you can see it's a knife from Forge de Laguiole as stamped on the T12 blade. Brass bolsters and linings with brown horn handle scales.

So far another look into my doings and interests...

ManVsLawn, Pscl, johnny five and 17 others like this.
  11. Antithetik
    • In Omnia Paratus

Antithetik EDC Junkie!!!!!

I need to get me some Heineken, to make up for you eating and drinking away all our good German stuff. :D

12. JPE

JPE Loaded Pockets

Not just Heineken Antithetik! You should try different kinds of beer we have to offer. Just as I like to do with all the indeed good German stuff! BTW... not only beers I have to add ;)

I'm lucky my parents live next to the border of Germany. So when I visit them I hop over...

[​IMG]

Reminds me to get the Grillis again (best 'Holzkohle' to me)... and beer...

[​IMG]

And yes 'Ich mag auch Obatzda gerne'... found this at a Norma in the Eifel...

[​IMG]

Just this weekend I finished my last Mass... :frantic:

[​IMG]

Have to visit my parents again soon I guess...

ManVsLawn, Pscl, johnny five and 16 others like this.
  13. survivorman
    • In Omnia Paratus

survivorman Loaded Pockets

You got great taste in food and drinks.
    Your gear is pretty awesome, too! :D

14. Antithetik
    • In Omnia Paratus

We should get him a Green Card for Bavaria, all this "Export Stuff" is still not the real deal, maybe start out with a Saukopfessen once he has arrived. :D

15. JPE

JPE Loaded Pockets

Survivorman und Antithetik, Danke für die freundlichen Worte! Thanks!

A Green Card for Bavaria :inlove:, will work for food & drinks! Can live in the barn! :rofl:

Talking about enablers... you with all the pictures of great looking gear make me drool! But now it's not only hardware! Trying to drive me crazy with the Saukopfessen, aren't you? How far is Bayern? If I like this 'export stuff', how good must be the real thing?

Yes I have to improvise now and then. Make my own obatzda, use a Haxe from a foil package I found at Lidl and Brezn I can hardly find over here.... And have my private Biergarten.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I know the word Sau, also kopf and essen I can very well! But had to check what the combination of these words mean. Now I know and I can say; 'Mir läuft das Wasser im Mund zusammen!'... Yes, my mouth is watering! I've eaten pigshead, but it was from the bbq. I've had it as Sülze, hoofdkaas (head cheese). Tail and ears I know from Chinese cuisine. But 'sow head eating'....

This was at my brother's, my nephew and niece had their birthday party... and yes, nothing got wasted. Only thing that was not eaten, not even by me, were the brains.
    [​IMG]

But cooked in broth... I only can imagine how the meat falls apart on the plate and in the mouth.... Especially the nose, the cheeks! Hope the tongue and ears are also in! Tongue ever so soft and the bite of the ears...

Hmmm, i've missed out on lunch. Have to eat something now!

Thanks again and if you may happen to have Saukopf soon please think of me and share some pictures ;)

SMAJ, ManVsLawn, Pscl and 15 others like this.
  16. JPE

JPE Loaded Pockets

Back to some steel... cutting steel that is.

At some time in the past I joined some bushcraft courses. And one of the essentials is a knife. Happens that the organisation I had the course with also sells knives. So I bought my first fixed blade.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As can be seen it's a Frosts and has a tri-flex steel blade.

Later on I added two other often used bush tools. An Small Forest axe by Gränsfors Bruk and a Laplander folding saw by Bahco.
    [​IMG]

These tools are often praised to be able to cope with most jobs being in the woods or fields. I only can say they can do the job.

But I wanted a somewhat thicker blade and found another knife while surfing several bushcraft and survival sites. The knives by Hultafors. Simple, cheap, sturdy knives they claim to be. So I orderd one. The knife in my avatar. Our first outing...
    [​IMG]

Some details after about a year of usage.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

It has joined me now on a couple of trips and I'm happy with it. Being so cheap I don't mind beating it up. Batoned big logs in to kindling sticks and it took it well!

I like this type of scandic knives. So I couldn't resist and got me a heavy duty Mora too. Still hasn't seen any action...
    [​IMG]

Side by side, Hultafors, Frosts and Mora. The outer two are about same thickness.
    [​IMG]

I like the looks of it...
    [​IMG]

Had to get to a certain amount to get free shipping when I got the axe, that was the reason I bought this one...
    [​IMG]
    Beside some whittling and introducing some kids to knives and fire making it doesn't get used much.

Nordic combination
    [​IMG]

For now I'm settled with these knives. But... reading these forums make me drool over some nice knives. Recently I'm kind of falling for the JR bushcraft and/or survival knives... A sturdy full tang knife... I could need one... :D

So far the 'heavy duty' tools for the woods... ;)

ManVsLawn, Pscl, johnny five and 17 others like this.
  17. Antithetik
    • In Omnia Paratus

Just gonna help out with a pic of the JR's Bushcraftr here, so that people know, what you are talking about. :D

[​IMG]

kwik, ManVsLawn, johnny five and 11 others like this.
  18. JPE

JPE Loaded Pockets

As could be seen in the post before I like the Mora line of knives. So for the 'kitchen' use outside the house I have bought another Mora.
    [​IMG]

The Classic 2 during a camping trip in the Belgian Ardennes last year. BTW the 'pink' beer is my girlfriend's... and in the background some wood can be seen that was batoned from logs with the Hultafors.

I throw this knife into my suitcase, pack or car whenever I go on a trip. Never know when it might come in handy. To often I've experienced that knives in rented cabins or houses are not up to standard. Try cutting a piece of ribeye into servicable pieces for a family ;)

Love this knife so much I even got the smaller Classic 1 too.

Here they are side by side
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These are just lovely knives to me. Sounds strange, calling knives lovely...

ManVsLawn, Pscl, johnny five and 16 others like this.
  19. JPE

JPE Loaded Pockets

Thanks Antithetik... that's one of the pictures that made me drool.... :inlove:

20. survivorman
    • In Omnia Paratus

survivorman Loaded Pockets

Great great food. :eek:
    The Franziskaner is one of my top 5 favorite Weißbiers. :D
    Franziskaner, Brezn, Spanferkel, Laplander and a lot of Moras. That thread keeps getting better and better! :frantic: